• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I vs E and emotion

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
LOL well, yeah I get a bit carried away, I'm not one of the more Ti-anchored ENTP's like you and Jack :alttongue:

externalizer and internalizer?

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
externalizer and internalizer?

eh. nah. they sound like robot villains. "Beware! For I am The ExternalizOR".

whatever would mean, "apt" or "lean towards" or "preference", etc.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
It does bother me, sub, when someone doesn't believe me when I tell them what I do or do not feel. I am not an angry person. I'm a person that lets stuff roll. I don't have the energy to get mad at every injustice in the world. I realize for my sanity that I can't care about everything--in fact, my apathy trumps my anger every single time. Sure, I get frustrated, and feel anger at momentary things or a situation I feel like I have no control over. But sitting around feeling anger doesn't work for me. I have to reason with it and turn it into something I can deal with. I don't know, it just bothers me when people imply that because they feel a lot of anger, that everyone else must feel it just as intensely all the time, but they're just hiding it, and/or deceiving themselves.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
^Yeah I can relate, I honestly don't have the energy to constantly make those little snap anger reactions when I'm in a situation thats upsetting. I think it is much better to clear that mental turmoil internally so I can proceed to do whatever it was I was doing. I think I have a much lower reserve of energy for those things than extroverts so I have to tactfully choose when to express it, even so it is much better for me in the long and short run if I settle it on a mental level before resorting to action.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Well no that's not what I meant Tallulah... I didn't mean to say "because I have a lot of anger therefore everyone must and I don't believe anyone who says they don't".

Also, I did specifically mention INTJ's because an earlier post in this thread talked about how many INTJ's in the INTJ's and anger thread claimed never to feel anger - yet the INTJ's I know both in RL and here seem to be pretty pretty irritable almost by definition and don't take an awful lot of pushing before they'll come out with "just fuck off!" or something like that. It's one of the things I find most endearing about them :wub:

I just meant to illustrate by my experience that there is a difference between what's felt and what's shown, both in intensity and in nature, in all people.

I don't know you well enough to say anything about you personally, Tallulah, but I have known quite a few INTP's to come across as grouchy and often give an impression of being angry/mad at people and yet they claim they're totally not. I can't help suspecting that with Fe being inferior function, this thing where it says in many of the INTP profiles "the INTP is seldom aware of what they're feeling even when the rest of the world can be in little doubt", is relevant somewhere here. Either they're showing more emotion than they feel, or they're feeling (and showing) more emotion than they're aware of. Or something else...

But anyway... I was by no means trying to assert that because I'm a big ol' ball of passion, therefore everyone else is whether they show it or not. Hell, I know enough ISTJ's to know there are folks out there with no feelings :alttongue:

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I just can't hold onto anger that long -- or most emotions, for that matter. Even if I want to hold onto them, they just diffuse whether I want them to or not.

Although I really hate it when people ask me about 'being so upset' when the 'upset' is so long gone that I can't even remember what happened or what I was feeling or anything about what they're asking about at all.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Well no that's not what I meant Tallulah... I didn't mean to say "because I have a lot of anger therefore everyone must and I don't believe anyone who says they don't".

Also, I did specifically mention INTJ's because an earlier post in this thread talked about how many INTJ's in the INTJ's and anger thread claimed never to feel anger - yet the INTJ's I know both in RL and here seem to be pretty pretty irritable almost by definition and don't take an awful lot of pushing before they'll come out with "just fuck off!" or something like that. It's one of the things I find most endearing about them :wub:

I just meant to illustrate by my experience that there is a difference between what's felt and what's shown, both in intensity and in nature, in all people.

I don't know you well enough to say anything about you personally, Tallulah, but I have known quite a few INTP's to come across as grouchy and often give an impression of being angry/mad at people and yet they claim they're totally not. I can't help suspecting that with Fe being inferior function, this thing where it says in many of the INTP profiles "the INTP is seldom aware of what they're feeling even when the rest of the world can be in little doubt", is relevant somewhere here. Either they're showing more emotion than they feel, or they're feeling (and showing) more emotion than they're aware of. Or something else...

But anyway... I was by no means trying to assert that because I'm a big ol' ball of passion, therefore everyone else is whether they show it or not. Hell, I know enough ISTJ's to know there are folks out there with no feelings :alttongue:

*hugs her Ti*

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
I think its more an issue if you want emotional closure or mental closure. Sympathy v empathy. I choose the latter a lot more often so I could understand why people who are more externally oriented and needing more of the former keying in on maybe some of the spillover and concluding that I'm angry.

In actuality though I'm probably a lot more mentally stable and what is observable might be a false impression of whats going on inside my head. Keying on some of the more biological reactions I have when Im more concerned with the more mental less tangible aspects of the issue. Those states aren't necessarily synergistic so making a conclusion based on that is misleading.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP

Well, we can definitely be irritable and grouchy--but a lot of the time, that's as far as it goes. People interrupting our inner worlds and asking us questions or making us adhere to stupid rules or whatever, just kind of makes us generally irritable. But I wouldn't call it anger.

I will say that it's true that we're not always aware of our emotions. A lot of the time, I'm not feeling much emotion at all, and other times, I feel a giant ball of tangled emotions that I can't identify. That's when I have to sort it all out and figure out what exactly is jamming up the machinery. :shock:

I just can't hold onto anger that long -- or most emotions, for that matter. Even if I want to hold onto them, they just diffuse whether I want them to or not.

Although I really hate it when people ask me about 'being so upset' when the 'upset' is so long gone that I can't even remember what happened or what I was feeling or anything about what they're asking about at all.

Me, too. My emotions are very fleeting, and even when something triggers a strong, identifiable emotion and I kind of get into the groove of it, I can't maintain it. I'm on to the next thing.

If someone betrayed me, I'd probably maintain the hurt/anger for a while, but not really realize it until it got brought up again. It wouldn't be in the forefront of my mind.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I will say that it's true that we're not always aware of our emotions. A lot of the time, I'm not feeling much emotion at all, and other times, I feel a giant ball of tangled emotions that I can't identify. That's when I have to sort it all out and figure out what exactly is jamming up the machinery. :shock:

Now, see - that's me as well to a very large extent. But what I mean is that when I actually DO get to the spanner in the works (usually requiring professional help), it turns out invariably to BE unacknowledged anger! So I've been getting better at acknowledging it...

But yeah, anyway my Ti ain't working today, so I'm gonna STFU in this thread, I think... Ne's taking me prisoner! :laugh:

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I think most all types are capable of not outwardly expressing anger for one of several reasons.

1) They don't recognize it.
2) They don't know what to do with it.
3) They place a negative value judgement on it.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Can we cross reference this thread with the 'How E's think' one plz?
Cos like, see above for example of externalized thinking process...:doh:

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
Can we cross reference this thread with the 'How E's think' one plz?
Cos like, see above for example of externalized thinking process...:doh:

i think they're 2 different topics. one is about emotions the other is about the thinking process itself.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
i think they're 2 different topics. one is about emotions the other is about the thinking process itself.

well yeah but that's what cross-referencing is... when two different topics contain things that are pertinent to both :)

(did that get my advanced condescension diploma, sir?)

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
well yeah but that's what cross-referencing is... when two different topics contain things that are pertinent to both :)

(did that get my advanced condescension diploma, sir?)

no you will never get that diploma. never! NEEEEVVVAAAAARRRRR!!!

bbites

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Hmm. I'm attracted to sad things definitely. I never thought it said much about my character though. I get pretty angry sometimes but if I try to express my anger I just end up a sputtering idiot so I usually fume over it alone.

aguanile

MBTI Type
IXXP
Enneagram
4w5
Oh yes, I was just telling someone yesterday how much I looove sad things.

I think it makes me feel more connected to life, more alive to experience sadness.

But I like it in the same way that I like rollercoasters. You feel that fear when you are riding, but in reality, you know that you are pretty much safe and you can walk away unscathed. But the rush that comes from that intense emotion is amazing.

That's why I listen to sad songs and my favorite movies tend to be drama/tragedy.

Thought I was the only one. Thanks forum for dispelling that thought.