User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by animenagai View Post
    I and E shows us how much we like being with a lot of people, that goes without saying. however, i think there's more to that, or at least this like/dislike of being with a lot of people has secondary effects. look at the MBTI types, and the types with only I vs E differences could have big emotional differences.

the one that sticks out to me is INTJ vs ENTJ. ENTJ's often have anger issues. i'm not making this up, go read up on the literature. having traveled with one before, i can safely say that guy ranks up there amongst one of the angriest people i know. he'll calm it down after his explosion, but o what an explosion. the INTJ on the other hand seems to rarely get angry. heck there's a thread about INTJ's and anger and most of them say they've never been angry at all.

INFP vs ENFP is one that i'm more familiar with and i can definitely see emotional differences. INFP's are attracted to sad things. they call tragedies and such 'beautiful'. ENFP's stay away from it like the plague. i can respect it, but i can't say i want to see something sad for the sake of it. we both dwell on the sadness being NF's, but somehow, the I likes it (as long as it's not something that's happened to themselves or whatever) whereas the other one can't stand it. why is that?

go ahead and list some of your own observations and theories. how does I vs E affect emotions?
    as far as ENTJs/INTJs go, i dont think it tends to be an emotional anger as much as a im-fed-up-with-all-the-retards-around-me kind of anger. i have noticed that ENTJs dont have as much control over their anger (in general) as INTJs do (maybe due to a shift in the functions?) also, have you ever met an angery ISTJ, its frightening. so i dont think I or E really has too much to do with emotions generally but as far as indivual types, well ya it does.

take the INFP/ENFP comparison. with an INFP, Fi is their dominant function. now whenever i see Fi in any type (as a dominant function especially) it tends to show itself in an almost negative light. its almost dark. but that is just how it shows itself. is it really dark, of course not. that is why with the ENFP you don't see that "darkness" because it filters through the light of extroverted intuition (thats a vague explaination).

EDIT:
    I also notice that introverts might not show it as much because (a direct quote from a close friend) "it takes too much out of me (them), if it is something i (they) can handle then what is the point"
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

GOD FUCKING DAMMIT ENTJS DONT HAVE ANGER PROBLEMS OKAY? FUCK THIS SHIT!! DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    InFp
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFj

take the example of music. if an INFP and an ENFP both listens to a sad song, the INFP is more prone to liking it. same for say a tragedy (play). it's in the literature, though you may be an exception.
    You know, I hadn't really noticed this until I thought about. Its not that I do it by choice, but, for the most part, my daydreams become much more vivid, which sort of sparks a mini-debate in my head about different topics, such as right vs. evil.

MBTI
    TiSe

As usual a basic principle is being overlooked since type does not measure emotions in any of the cognitive functions. Whether someone is more prone to show or talk about their emotions may be an indication of whether they're E/I. As the saying goes, if you don't know what an extravert is thinking you haven't been listening. If you don't know what an introvert is thinking you have not asked. Key word thinking, not feeling (emotion). All dominant T types, regardelss of attitude, react in the same way as you describe the ENTJ (at least in theory).

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    INFp

The difference between my ENTJ sister and my INTJ friends is that my sister likes studying with people. And she's more forceful when talking about politics. The INTJs I know just give you that look like "I'm not going to argue with you cuz I know I'm right, so I'm just going to pretend like I'm listening." But they are very similar in the fact that I don't like talking politics with either of them :B

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I and E shows us how much we like being with a lot of people, that goes without saying. however, i think there's more to that, or at least this like/dislike of being with a lot of people has secondary effects. look at the MBTI types, and the types with only I vs E differences could have big emotional differences.
    introversion and extroversion mean completely different things when in the context of MBTI theory. it's not the same, nor nearly as simple, as the dictionary definitions of the two. no letter stands alone in MBTI. it's the four letters combined that define the E and I.

when it comes to ENTPs, it's not the desire to be around people that matters, it's the desire to be in, understand, and explore the world, that matters. people are a default interest as they just happen to make up a large part of it, and come with a handy dandy 'mystery' by their very nature of being human.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I don't know if I know any real-life ENTPs. I'd be interested to hear someone's take on the I/E difference with INTPs and ENTPs.
    maybe this site will help.

Myers-Briggs eight functions carl jung, jungian cognitive functions, mental functions

if not, any search that involves type, functions, and mbti will help. maybe you'll find a better one as that site was a quick pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Just emotionally?

ENTPs wear their heart 10x more on their sleeves than INTPs. You can generally decipher mood. If it's not obvious, they'll say something like "I love you/I hate you."

I don't think it's just the obviousness, either. Their emotions seem to be affected more instantaneously by stimuli.
    not directing this to just you, but to the comment itself, therefore, everyone:

if ENTPs couldn't hide their emotions/thoughts, then i (and most others, no doubt) would have been banned from many a forum long ago. we're just as capable of doing so. it's whether or not, after analyzing the situation (many times, even while analyzing it), we choose to do so that's the bigger difference.

being an ENTP, for me, compared to the INTPs i know, has shown me one major difference when it comes to showing (not feeling, but showing, as we ALL feel) emotions, and that's that IRL, i'm much more apt to come to the conclusion faster that the risk of saying what i'm thinking is worth (or balances out just fine) the consequences of speaking up.

i'm much more apt to choose to act on what i'm thinking/feeling also, after being faster to conclude the consequence is worth the risk.

it's not that we both aren't capable of thinking before we speak or act, it's that i'm more quick to both analyze the situation at hand and the consequences and follow through (or not) and more apt to find the risk of doing so worth it.

see, it's not that i don't think, it's that being more clued in to my surroundings, thus faster to analyze the situation -Ne- (people not being necessarily a favorite, just a default part of it), i'm sensitive to when i should keep my mouth shut and how they'll take what i'm thinking of saying/doing (not to mention whether it's worth it to even bother).

remember, a large part of keeping/making friends requires not only speaking up, but knowing when to not say what you're really thinking.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I can understand that. I didn't think ENTPs were more emotionally volatile because they're stupid.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Someone told me ENTPs have emotions. I lol'd, those silly guys.
    :steam:

-------------

I hate it when the tests ask if you like going to parties or being around lots of people. Extraversion isn't about that, dammit! It's about being externally oriented towards the object; it's about needing to externalize your shit in order to sort through and deal with it. You can do that with just one person, you don't need a party. And there are a lot of E's who don't like parties - and I know an ISTP who never misses one. I'd say a fairer question would be "how often do you feel a need or desire to talk to someone face to face?" or "what percentage of your time would you ideally spend in company with others?" Cos the way they're usually phrased makes a lot of E's think they're I's and possibly vice versa. And it makes a lot of I's assume that just because I'm an E, I'm automatically totally at ease with all people, any people, in any numbers, anywhere. Gah!!

ANYWAY, i think it's pretty obvious that, given what I just said above, about E's needing to externalize, we're gonna seem more emotional than I's, since whatever they do feel they keep to themselves, whilst we externalize it - that of it which we acknowledge or entertain, that is.

An INTJ can tell me he never gets angry if he wants, but I won't believe him. I know they seethe and steam like all mortals - they just do it internally. Not losing your temper outwardly does not mean you're never angry.

You know, I spent most of my life really introverted (artificially), and pretty timid and scared. I never showed my anger, partly through fear that the response would be something I couldn't handle, and partly because I was so isolated and desperate for human company that I felt I couldn't jeopardize it by scaring off the people I did see by showing negative emotions. And because I NEVER lost my temper or shouted or yelled or even expressed disapproval of people outwardly, and didn't admit to myself that I did inwardly, I used to say confidently of myself "I am not an angry person".

Until a couple of years ago, when some sessions with a therapist revealed that I am, in fact, a FUCKING angry person. Hell yes. Choleric is my temperament, and anger is the founding emotion for much of what I do, think and choose, and this is the way I am and have always been. This does not necessarily mean that I always seem angry or feel it. It just means that, generally, it's anger about injustices, prejudices, hypocrisy, failures, inconsistencies, that sorta thing, that pretty much informs what I choose to do myself.

And though I repress it and try to keep it from my decision making processes in order to be as objective as I can, I am now aware that there has always been a note of anger, an undercurrent, you might say, in my personality, that in fact does manifest itself by impatience quite often, but more often, irritability, irascibilty that's masked by humour... I get what I want because I have a passion behind what I say and do that's driven by this deep-seated anger. But I'm not stupid enough to think that throwing my weight around and yelling at people will get me what I want. So, like I say, I repress it and convert it through self-discipline into something that comes out on the surface as something much more constructive and persuasive.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    ENTP

Oh and Jack, don't forget that ENTP's are very high on the self-monitoring scale... we've been known to fake/exaggerate/dissemble etc emotions according to what's most expedient at the time... for example, if someone I know shows me some work they've done and I think it's good, but I know they'll think I'm "just saying that" so's not to hurt their feelings, I figure I've got to not only show more of my emotional response than I otherwise would, but also exaggerate it somewhat to a level that they'll find difficult to dismiss.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    :steam:

-------------

I hate it when the tests ask if you like going to parties or being around lots of people. Extraversion isn't about that, dammit! It's about being externally oriented towards the object; it's about needing to externalize your shit in order to sort through and deal with it. You can do that with just one person, you don't need a party. And there are a lot of E's who don't like parties - and I know an ISTP who never misses one. I'd say a fairer question would be "how often do you feel a need or desire to talk to someone face to face?" or "what percentage of your time would you ideally spend in company with others?" Cos the way they're usually phrased makes a lot of E's think they're I's and possibly vice versa. And it makes a lot of I's assume that just because I'm an E, I'm automatically totally at ease with all people, any people, in any numbers, anywhere. Gah!!

ANYWAY, i think it's pretty obvious that, given what I just said above, about E's needing to externalize, we're gonna seem more emotional than I's, since whatever they do feel they keep to themselves, whilst we externalize it - that of it which we acknowledge or entertain, that is.

An INTJ can tell me he never gets angry if he wants, but I won't believe him. I know they seethe and steam like all mortals - they just do it internally. Not losing your temper outwardly does not mean you're never angry.

You know, I spent most of my life really introverted (artificially), and pretty timid and scared. I never showed my anger, partly through fear that the response would be something I couldn't handle, and partly because I was so isolated and desperate for human company that I felt I couldn't jeopardize it by scaring off the people I did see by showing negative emotions. And because I NEVER lost my temper or shouted or yelled or even expressed disapproval of people outwardly, and didn't admit to myself that I did inwardly, I used to say confidently of myself "I am not an angry person".

Until a couple of years ago, when some sessions with a therapist revealed that I am, in fact, a FUCKING angry person. Hell yes. Choleric is my temperament, and anger is the founding emotion for much of what I do, think and choose, and this is the way I am and have always been. This does not necessarily mean that I always seem angry or feel it. It just means that, generally, it's anger about injustices, prejudices, hypocrisy, failures, inconsistencies, that sorta thing, that pretty much informs what I choose to do myself.

And though I repress it and try to keep it from my decision making processes in order to be as objective as I can, I am now aware that there has always been a note of anger, an undercurrent, you might say, in my personality, that in fact does manifest itself by impatience quite often, but more often, irritability, irascibilty that's masked by humour... I get what I want because I have a passion behind what I say and do that's driven by this deep-seated anger. But I'm not stupid enough to think that throwing my weight around and yelling at people will get me what I want. So, like I say, I repress it and convert it through self-discipline into something that comes out on the surface as something much more constructive and persuasive.
    um. okaaaaaay then....

i think mbti screwed up by using terms that were already established and widely used. they need to change that to extro-/intro- something else.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery