• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Flip-floppin' types

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Thread title made me instantly think of this ;P

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BVADNUyDZY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BVADNUyDZY[/YOUTUBE]

It just rhymes, doesn't it?

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Very good analysis! I would be inclined to agree with that, to an extent. :)
That would also make sense with something I've seen in the INFJ forum:

"Phases of development for the INFJ Personality Type:

From age 0 - 6 years
At this early age, we use all four of the functions in an indiscriminate fashion. We "try on" the different functions for size, determining which ones work best for us. The little INFJ has not yet emerged as any particular personality type, although his parents may notice trends in behavior which appear to have the characteristics of one or more types.

From 6 - 12 years
During this phase, our dominant function begins to develop and assert itself. Our young INFJ begins to appear dreamy and introspective - he begins to prefer to use his iNtuition to take in information, and he chooses to do this alone (Introverted). The dominant function of "Introverted iNtuition" begins to show itself as the prevailing aspect of his personality.

From 12 - 20 years
The auxiliary function asserts itself as a powerful support to the dominant function. Since all recent studies point towards the importance of a well-developed team of dominant AND auxiliary functions, this is an important time of "self-identification". Research suggests that people without a strong auxiliary function to complement their dominant function have real problems.
In our INFJ example, we see the auxiliary Feeling function come to the front during this phase as a support to the dominant iNtuitive function. Since the INFJ's dominant function is an Information Gathering function, the auxilary function must be a Decision Making one. Without a Decision Making process, we would flounder about and never get anything done! As the auxilary Feeling process comes forth, the INFJ begins to develop the ability to make decisions based on his personal value system. This auxiliary decision making process will be Extraverted, since the dominant function is Introverted. Since the decision making function is Extraverted, our subject now emerges as a "Judger", rather than a "Perceiver". Our INFJ Personality Type is now pretty firmly set in place, and we know the dominance ordering of the four functions.

From 20 - 35 years
We begin to use our tertiary function more frequently and with better success. Our INFJ begins to use his Introverted Thinking function. He continues to make judgments with his Extreverted Feeling auxiliary function, but he also begins to make judgments based on logic and reason, which he works through in his own mind, rather than discussing it with others.

From 35 - 50 years
We pay attention to our fourth, inferior function. We feel a need to develop it and use it more effectively. Our INFJ begins to use his Extraverted Sensing function. He becomes more aware of his surroundings and begins to take in information from others in a more literal, practical sense. He continues to rely on his dominant Introverted iNtuitive function to take in information, but he is more able to use his Extraverted Sensing function than he has been before in his life. Some researchers have attested that the appearance of our inferior functions at this phase of life may be responsible for what we commonly call the "mid-life crisis".

From 50 onwards
From this age until our deaths, we have accessibility to all four functions. However, we use them in a more disciplined, differentiated manner than when we were very young. Our basic Personality Type continues to assert itself, but we are able to call upon all four functions when needed."

I've been really look around about this...Because each function is determined as being "introverted" or "extroverted", it would make sense that intro/extroversion could be based in genetics, along with our "main" function, that being either S or N.
So an INFJ may be born with a innate preference towards Ni, or introverted iNtuition... which would show the first two letters to be INxx.

Which basically I'm just summarizing everything you've said, but yeah ^^;
did you write this? it is well written, and i like most of it. i use my shadow quite a bit (though unconsciously) and im 20. i use my Te like a tool...its wonderful. very much of it is understood and implied but it is nice to see it written out :). also like i state below, i think the first two functions are used quite a bit at a young age but they dont tend to work well together. like for me, it would be a split between Ne and Fi. I was either using Ne or i was using Fi; they didn't work together like they do now. the reason i dont think they work well together is because of a lack of development of Te, which lets the first two functions communicate with each other.

and as far as perceiving developing by environment...ehh i still doubt it. also ive seen that the auxiliary function is very very obvious at a young age, maybe even more so then when they are older (im not saying they use it more or less, its just more obvious....i get this from an example of an ENTP 8 year old girl...her Ne makes her interested in EVERYTHING and her Ti is constantly analyzing and even is like a synthetic form of Te because she will outright state if she thinks something is stupid (just an example)). as far as N and S go and the origins of the latter...read The Edge Effect by Dr. Eric Braverman.

gloomy-optimist

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
did you write this? it is well written, and i like most of it. i use my shadow quite a bit (though unconsciously) and im 20. i use my Te like a tool...its wonderful. very much of it is understood and implied but it is nice to see it written out :). also like i state below, i think the first two functions are used quite a bit at a young age but they dont tend to work well together. like for me, it would be a split between Ne and Fi. I was either using Ne or i was using Fi; they didn't work together like they do now. the reason i dont think they work well together is because of a lack of development of Te, which lets the first two functions communicate with each other.

and as far as perceiving developing by environment...ehh i still doubt it. also ive seen that the auxiliary function is very very obvious at a young age, maybe even more so then when they are older (im not saying they use it more or less, its just more obvious....i get this from an example of an ENTP 8 year old girl...her Ne makes her interested in EVERYTHING and her Ti is constantly analyzing and even is like a synthetic form of Te because she will outright state if she thinks something is stupid (just an example)). as far as N and S go and the origins of the latter...read The Edge Effect by Dr. Eric Braverman.

I did not write this; Trinity posted it in the INFJ forum, and it was one of those clicking incidents.
I think I'll begin watching a bit more about what conclusions I come to; the more I'm learning, the more I realize that I have a lot more I need to learn :B
I do think there are factors determined by environment. It would truly boggle my mind to think that there are none; with the way the world works and the way people adapt, it seems to me as if there has to be something to a certain extent. I do realize that quite a bit is nature; but to what extent? I'd really like to figure that out.

And I do think that this chart is based a bit more on a generalization of aging; as in, it's based on how developed functions are in most people according to their experiences up to that time. In other words, I have a pretty well developed tertiary function already, and I'm only 17. I have more experience than most people my age, though; so I think it's kind of a projection of average development. I believe functions are definitely strengthened by nurture.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Thread title made me instantly think of this ;P

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BVADNUyDZY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BVADNUyDZY[/YOUTUBE]

It just rhymes, doesn't it?

How completely random, cool :cool:

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
its well written trinity :) believe me, i know nothing about MBTI, so only take what I say extremely lightly. you two might be so completely right for all i know. the way i see it is your type is defined at conception and it bends with its environment. but wtf do i know haha.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
its well written trinity :) believe me, i know nothing about MBTI, so only take what I say extremely lightly. you two might be so completely right for all i know. the way i see it is your type is defined at conception and it bends with its environment. but wtf do i know haha.

I didn’t write it but I will take complete credit for employing Google to find it on my behalf ;) I know pretty little myself, I was certain types were set in stone before I started this thread, now, dunno, I see more questions than answers.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
I didn’t write it but I will take complete credit for employing Google to find it on my behalf ;) I know pretty little myself, I was certain types were set in stone before I started this thread, now, dunno, I see more questions than answers.
well MBTI is a model for something we dont completely understand...the brain. when we understand the brain we will understand MBTI lol. otherwise everything is implied and not set in stone.

gloomy-optimist

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Man, things like that make me want to become a research psychologist. Too many questions, so few answers!
I definitely is making me more interested in genetics as well. I've never really too indepth on that, but it seems like there's definitely a lot tucked in there that would be pretty interesting...
The only thing I would be worried about is someone trying to alter things like that once we know about it. I don't know about you guys, but I'm not interested in any "perfect" person with genetic alteration; flaws in people are really beautiful things :/
But some people seem to really be gung-ho for that...

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
im going back to college after i get my current degree in Information Systems for a PhD in psychology lol so im with you on that one

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Don't turn to the darkside man!

bah. its not the dark side. calm down haha. im good at info systems but im better at psychology. which means im horrible at info systems and bad a psychology lol.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj

well MBTI is a model for something we dont completely understand...the brain. when we understand the brain we will understand MBTI lol. otherwise everything is implied and not set in stone.

From my understanding, MBTI types as a theory is set in stone. You are whatever type you're born into. However it does not mean you've correctly identified your type the first time around. You're flip-flopping labels of who you think your type ought to be, but your true type does not change.

Obviously personality isn't just MBTI types. Psychology studies have demonstrated sufficiently that both nature and nurture affects personality.

gloomy-optimist

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
^^ True. Although I wonder sometimes whether or not certain traits more dependent on genetics, and which are less so; it would be interesting to see how far type actually goes, and what actually determines it.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
bah. its not the dark side. calm down haha. im good at info systems but im better at psychology. which means im horrible at info systems and bad a psychology lol.

My point exactly. The darkside is about going the easy way ;) jk

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
From my understanding, MBTI types as a theory is set in stone. You are whatever type you're born into. However it does not mean you've correctly identified your type the first time around. You're flip-flopping labels of who you think your type ought to be, but your true type does not change.

Obviously personality isn't just MBTI types. Psychology studies have demonstrated sufficiently that both nature and nurture affects personality.

oh sorry ya i didn't write that the way i meant it. MBTI as your type IS set in stone. i meant as a general theory MBTI isn't set in stone.

and your right, personality is MUCH more then MBTI. i think that your bio-temperament is extremely important. enneagram is nice too. the big 5 is ehh.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
My point exactly. The darkside is about going the easy way ;) jk

lol well i still gotta get my info systems degree, and then go back for 8 more years. not too easy imo.

pardon the double post

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
People's attitudes and behaviors can change over time. Personality type? I don't think so. With continued development of the functions you may see new attitude and behaviors but I'm guessing the general flavor remains the same with its strengths and stumbling blocks.