User Tag List

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Flip-floppin' types

Glycerine

I highly doubt that your type is nurtured into you. I lived in an orphanage for the first few years of my life up to the age of 5 and a half in a very ISTJ society. I may have some SJ tendencies but my natural inclination is more towards INFJ. However, nurture may mellow out or exaggerate some innate traits.

Senior Member Array gloomy-optimist's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by mlittrell View Post
    now to gloomy-optimist i have a question (im not trying to trip you up or anything, just curious). What if you put a baby in a white square room with nothing else in it except white walls. Assuming they didn't need food, water, whatever, how would their personality develop? or would it? would the personality be only as deep as what those white walls defined?

thanks
    Well, I've actually thought a lot on this: where does rational thought stem from? Of course it's genetic in people that we are capable of learning and abstract thought; that's what sets us off from animals.
    But if a child is placed in a white room with no outside stimulus, then the real question is: what would they think about? What would they learn about? If it weren't for outside forces, how would one make connections to anything except for the sake of fundamental need?
    You couldn't think about the future, because every day would be the same. You couldn't do much thinking about your surroundings, either. There would be really no input that has subsistence; absolutely nothing to think about.

If the child was left in that room all its life, then it is possible that they will never actually have a fully formed personality, because there is nothing to respond to; where would a personality be directed to?

If you took the child out of the room, it will probably have some form of retardation; stimulation is needed in that period of time. That is agreed on by pretty much everyone, regardless of stance in nature vs. nurture. I personally would come to the conclusion that this is because they did not make the connections of thought beyond need in those early years; in those years of development, literally all they knew was instinctual need. They don't know how to sort through or handle complicated input; they don't know how to handle social situations. And depending on how old the child is when you take it out of the room, it will become more and more difficult for it to learn, for the same reason it is easier for a young child to learn languages.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by IDK123 View Post
    I highly doubt that your type is nurtured into you. I lived in an orphanage for the first few years of my life up to the age of 5 and a half in a very ISTJ society. I may have some SJ tendencies but my natural inclination is more towards INFJ. However, nurture may mellow out or exaggerate some innate traits.
    That's intriguing! I'm not convinced, although you did spark my curiosity I'd have to know a little more about the circumstances to even begin to work through some scenarios, but I do think they are still probably a good deal nurture; I/E and J/P tend to be easier to spot patterns in than N/S and F/T, so that provides a bit of difficulty in filtering through your case with more extensive knowledge. There's probably factors involve from very early, esp. with your N...

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Balancing and mistyping occur all the time, which can be mistaken for a change in personality type, but no.
    damn i love this guy
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by gloomy-optimist View Post
    Well, I've actually thought a lot on this: where does rational thought stem from? Of course it's genetic in people that we are capable of learning and abstract thought; that's what sets us off from animals.
    But if a child is placed in a white room with no outside stimulus, then the real question is: what would they think about? What would they learn about? If it weren't for outside forces, how would one make connections to anything except for the sake of fundamental need?
    You couldn't think about the future, because every day would be the same. You couldn't do much thinking about your surroundings, either. There would be really no input that has subsistence; absolutely nothing to think about.

If the child was left in that room all its life, then it is possible that they will never actually have a fully formed personality, because there is nothing to respond to; where would a personality be directed to?

If you took the child out of the room, it will probably have some form of retardation; stimulation is needed in that period of time. That is agreed on by pretty much everyone, regardless of stance in nature vs. nurture. I personally would come to the conclusion that this is because they did not make the connections of thought beyond need in those early years; in those years of development, literally all they knew was instinctual need. They don't know how to sort through or handle complicated input; they don't know how to handle social situations. And depending on how old the child is when you take it out of the room, it will become more and more difficult for it to learn, for the same reason it is easier for a young child to learn languages.
    so in your opinion the mind IS a blank slate? or an empty box/notebook/canvas/whatever?
    damn i love this guy
    agreed

to add to above question:

so if one grew up in a purely ISTJ environment would they naturally become ISTJ and not deviate from it?

not too related to the rest:

i just found out there was a gene for introversion and extroversion...pretty shnazzy
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

Glycerine

That's intriguing! I'm not convinced, although you did spark my curiosity I'd have to know a little more about the circumstances to even begin to work through some scenarios, but I do think they are still probably a good deal nurturn'e; I/GE and J/P tend to be easier to spot patterns in than N/S and F/T, so that provides a bit of difficulty in filtering through your case with more extensive knowledge. There's probably factors involve from very early, esp. with your N...
    Well, it was not the most loving environment and they seemed to get annyed easily. Also, I did not properly bond with anyone until I was 6 because of multiple caretakers. All I really know is that I have always had a very inquisitive mind and overanalyzed things. I don't think they did much to nurture it because they were going to put me in special ed due to my physical disability. (I got put in mainstream and advanced classes since then).

Next, I think I am naturally sensitive so I project my sensitivity on to other people. I value showing respect and being considerate to others. There's my F. The caretakers weren't the nicest people so I don't know how I learned that from them.

Sorry if it's very vague.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    INFp

so in your opinion the mind IS a blank slate? or an empty box/notebook/canvas/whatever?

agreed

to add to above question:

so if one grew up in a purely ISTJ environment would they naturally become ISTJ and not deviate from it?

not too related to the rest:

i just found out there was a gene for introversion and extroversion...pretty shnazzy
    In response to the first part; well, I suppose all things considering, yes. But think about it; if you were in a world where there was nothing to think about, then what would you think about? You couldn't think about the universe; the only universe you know is a single room. You couldn't think about your surroundings or time or anything, because you'd have no concept of it; in a white room where nothing changes, then how would you even know things COULD change? There could be an internal restlessness, but you wouldn't be able to expand it; there would literally be nothing.

Where did you find that information on that gene? I'd like to check that out

IDK123: Your moving around a lot might actually have a lot to do with how your personality developed. Children, even when they are very young, are very in-tune to their environment, more so than I think some people give them credit.
    If you were moving around a lot, you might have started to notice the patterns of moving and subtleties that allowed you to predict when it might happen again. That might helped the development of your N. And with your F, it might have happened that they did not, either because of time constraints or inconsistancy, exercise a preference towards "rational" thinking, or, being a young child, you may have developed more F because of a need for affection that you may have wanted but may not have been getting...

MBTI
    eSTP
    Socionics
    eSTp

Introversion and extroversion can and do change sometimes, depending on the underlying cause of the introversion. The dominant function is hardwired at birth... and perhaps the auxiliary and tertiary can chosen during development, not sure on that one.

That's my personal theory.

I also think that stress can cause mistyping, due to one's typological shadow being visible during this time.
    Power is the virtue that makes all other virtues possible.
    Youtube - Oversensitive Witches
    Scary Bedtime Prayer

Banned Array
    MBTI
    type

No. I primarily grew up in an ISTJ environment, and I'm pretty far from it.

Glycerine

In response to the first part; well, I suppose all things considering, yes. But think about it; if you were in a world where there was nothing to think about, then what would you think about? You couldn't think about the universe; the only universe you know is a single room. You couldn't think about your surroundings or time or anything, because you'd have no concept of it; in a white room where nothing changes, then how would you even know things COULD change? There could be an internal restlessness, but you wouldn't be able to expand it; there would literally be nothing.

Where did you find that information on that gene? I'd like to check that out

IDK123: Your moving around a lot might actually have a lot to do with how your personality developed. Children, even when they are very young, are very in-tune to their environment, more so than I think some people give them credit.
    If you were moving around a lot, you might have started to notice the patterns of moving and subtleties that allowed you to predict when it might happen again. That might helped the development of your N. And with your F, it might have happened that they did not, either because of time constraints or inconsistancy, exercise a preference towards "rational" thinking, or, being a young child, you may have developed more F because of a need for affection that you may have wanted but may not have been getting...
    good points but I think we will have to agree to disagree on the nature vs. nurture.