User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    Some people state emphatically type cannot be changed over time, others say it can.

What say you and why?
    I have read that it doesn't. It matures and develops and balances out as we develop our other functions,
    but a person does not fundamentally change.
    Naomi L. Quenk writes extensively on this in Beside Ourselves.
    Of course those statements are made in the context of what's considered "normal".
    Obviously drug or brain damage isn't "normal".

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    Some people state emphatically type cannot be changed over time, others say it can.

What say you and why?
    I think of type as a trend or tendency to do certain things. Sometimes that tendency is to look for patterns, sometimes not. Sometimes it's to put things into logical order and view things objectively, sometimes not. Sometimes...you get the idea. Of course these things change over time, even minute to minute.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    INFp

The way one's brain is patterned to work does not really change. It's not just your personality; it's how you process information and react accordingly to the world around you. That doesn't change, even if your outside personality deviates a bit.

However, I do believe type can change with severe psychological traumas; that's why they talk about your shadow types in periods of extreme stress/sickness. I know when I get depressed or overstressed, I take on the chief characteristics of an INTJ or a ISFJ, but that is only for a brief period.
    However, with more serious mental disorders, traumas, and changes, personality changes are known to be abrupt and lasting; I wouldn't doubt that someone could actually change types with a serious mental/emotional upheaval.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

*DISCLAIMER: Generalization*

mbti = nature, enneagram = nurture

ya i think its there from the start, its pretty obvious that MBTI is a genetic thing
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by mlittrell View Post
    ya i think its there from the start, its pretty obvious that MBTI is a genetic thing
    I would be inclined to disagree I think environment has more to do with how you act; it may seem genetic because it's your parents teaching you, and you will pick up from their traits, but I don't think there's any real proof that you "inherit" certain qualities...

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by gloomy-optimist View Post
    I would be inclined to disagree I think environment has more to do with how you act; it may seem genetic because it's your parents teaching you, and you will pick up from their traits, but I don't think there's any real proof that you "inherit" certain qualities...
    Inherit no. My parents are both decidedly S, for example. I certainly think type is more likely innate than taught, but effectively random, or N is recessive .

MBTI
    TiSe

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I think it can be a development of what's already there as well as a change in preferences.

I have it in me to be a E or J, I can do it for short periods of time, but unless an extreme event takes place that causes me to favor personality characteristics other than those of the INTP, it probably won't happen.
    Agreed. Type doesn't change, people develop use or not use or develop certain aspects of their personality at various times. Flip-flopping because you are using a different function or attitude is natural. Not knowing your type in the first place because one does not take the time and energy to determine it is irreprehensible. You will never determine your true type from just taking a test.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Inherit no. My parents are both decidedly S, for example. I certainly think type is more likely innate than taught, but effectively random, or N is recessive .
    Hm...maybe "taught" isn't the best word to use, but I do think it develops more through the events in the early years of life, when the mind and personality is really being developed, rather than being present directly at birth...
    It'd be difficult for me to explain my reasoning without giving a minor essay on the topic :B But I would think that things like body-type are inherited, whereas type is something that develops in response to outside stimuli

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by gloomy-optimist View Post
    i didn't mean from your parents. i just mean your born with your type for certain neuro-cognitive reasons. sorry for the confusion. i doubt it comes directly from your parents but there is definitely a neuro-cognitive (documented) reason for what your type is meaning, you are born with a type and your type is determined by different chemicals in your brain. any other changes can be explained by the nurture concept.
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by mlittrell View Post
    i didn't mean from your parents. i just mean your born with your type for certain neuro-cognitive reasons. sorry for the confusion. i doubt it comes directly from your parents but there is definitely a neuro-cognitive (documented) reason for what your type is meaning, you are born with a type and your type is determined by different chemicals in your brain. any other changes can be explained by the nurture concept.
    I'm still not entirely convinced; people are all essentially "wired" in a similar fashion at birth. I believe that personality and personality type is essentially learned; in the very early years of development, one takes preference to certain qualities, rather than them simply being there.