• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

IFP comparison

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
1. name your five favorite fiction books (and why).

I don't read fiction that much. The closest to fiction I read is mythology. In case it counts, Poetic Edda has some wonderful stuff. Like "Prophecy of the Seeress", very powerful images:
Brothers will battle to bloody end,
And sisters' sons their sibs betray;
Woe's in the world, much wantonness;
Axe-age, sword-age -- sundered are shields --
Wind-age, wolf-age, ere the world crumbles;
Will the spear of no man spare the other.

2. your favorite subjects from school that you would actually read for pleasure.

Biology, geology, philosophy, english, religion, art class, I liked almost every subject. But, not math except geometry (this rules out chemistry and physics, too) I don't like numbers that much...

3. are you fascinated in the duality of good vs. evil, light vs. dark?

Some bit...

4. do you want to understand how evil works?

I think I do understand. It is just sick or ignorant people. Not too complicated.

5. what are the topics of some of your favorite daydreams?

Enlightenment,
the end of this civilization.

6. what is fascinates you most?

Zen,
living in a moment.

7. what do you think about the interconnection between humans and all that is?

You can get vibes from everything, but it is probably psychology more than real energy.

8. What's your impression of the other IxFP type? (from SciSki)

Not sure if I know them, but SPs in general are fun people.

9. If someone asks you what clues to look out for in deciding if someone is ISFP or INFP, what would you say?

Ask if he likes watching sport channel or science/history channel.

10. What activities do you like to do outdoors? (from Placebo)
or What physical activities do you like to do?

Walking; watching trees, animals and people. Hanging around. Drinking in parks, barbecue, swimming and diving.

11. - How would you describe this picture (briefly)? http://www.norcalwater.org/images/ncwa_painting.jpg

Awesome. The colors are very good, except for the sky. The composition is fine, but the mountain is too balanced for my liking.

12. - Do you have a personal philosophy of life? if so what is it?

Be what you are without regrets (or at least try).

13. Who do you think's going to win the Texas v. OU game? (from Jeffster)

What is that?

14. Do you believe that some people are born evil, or is it a reaction to the environment in which they were raised in? (from Neo-Genesis)

Some people are born sick and do evil things. Others are born ok, but twisted into something that is not who they are supposed to be, so in extreme cases they do evil things.

15. If you were a tree, what kind would you be, and what would you like hirsch to make out of you? (by Hirsch)

Pine. I want him to make me ladders to the sky (without cutting my roots), but only if I am dying.

heart

heart on fire
I think I do understand. It is just sick or ignorant people. Not too complicated....

Some people are born sick and do evil things. Others are born ok, but twisted into something that is not who they are supposed to be, so in extreme cases they do evil things....

I used to believe evil was only due to ignorance but as I've gotten older I've had to face the facts that some people are very intelligent, very aware and still chose evil over good. They are not ignorant of what they do. I now believe it is a mistake to equate doing good with intelligence or higher consciousness. There is something more at the heart of what makes a person chose good or evil.

I liked my earlier explanation for evil better, it was very neat and tidy, gave more hope, but I can't ignore what my own experiences teaches me either. The problem of good vs. evil is extremely complex. No easy answers, no panceas.

heart

heart on fire
History Channel= Hitler obesession (ITJ)
Science channel= Watch us take stuff apart and then blow it up (ITP)

I really tend to watch neither. :D

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Someone say again IFP's aint writers and I die laughing :D

wolfy

awsm
Ask if he likes watching sport channel or science/history channel.

So my question for everybody is If you could only watch one channel which would you choose.

I choose Discovery Channel.

heart

heart on fire
PBS

They have it all. Masterpiece theatre, British Comedy, American Experience, Nova, Nature etc.

locke

MBTI Type
INFJ
So my question for everybody is If you could only watch one channel which would you choose.

I rarely watch TV and when I do it's usually just light entertainment (Conan O'Brien or a couple of select shows on Adult Swim). I'd probably be fine without TV.

B

beyondaurora

The Chronicles of Narnia - because they're probably the last fiction books I finished, many, many years ago! I'm not a fiction reader.

2. your favorite subjects from school that you would actually read for pleasure.

Psychology, health.

Yes, very much! Right now I'm actually reading "The Dark Side of the Light Chasers" by Debbie Ford. I'm very interested in the "shadow".

I don't believe in "evil" but rather manifestations of shadow.

What daydreams? I "daythink".

Humans are energy, and the universe is energy. That's about all the connection there is for me.

Creative; deeply insightful; sensitive; overly emotional; fantastical.

9. If someone asks you what clues to look out for in deciding if someone is ISFP or INFP, what would you say?

ISFP's are more "down to earth" whereas INFP's are more "head in the clouds".

I love the beach. I love the feeling of the sun on my face. I'm more of a passive enjoyer of nature - I don't like outdoor sports. I'd rather lay in a field of grass.

11. - How would you describe this picture (briefly)? http://www.norcalwater.org/images/ncwa_painting.jpg

Overall, it's annoying. It makes me feel anxious, and there aren't many opportunities for relief. My eyes want to focus on the depictions of water and on the few wavy patterns.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I used to believe evil was only due to ignorance but as I've gotten older I've had to face the facts that some people are very intelligent, very aware and still chose evil over good. They are not ignorant of what they do. I now believe it is a mistake to equate doing good with intelligence or higher consciousness. There is something more at the heart of what makes a person chose good or evil.

I liked my earlier explanation for evil better, it was very neat and tidy, gave more hope, but I can't ignore what my own experiences teaches me either. The problem of good vs. evil is extremely complex. No easy answers, no panceas.

In my opinion people like that are in some ways sick. Maybe sociopath, psychopath, whatever. I believe there must be, in human nature, written on the genes or soul (whichever you tend to believe) a code to help the community a person belongs to. Why would anyone, if he acknowledges good from evil, choose evil for his people? If the code is not obeyed, it must be either that the code is not read (in case of sick people) or that the code is read wrong (in case of negative influence of environment).

BTW, could you give us an example of this kind of evil person?

But what if we like both?

That makes you INxP... of course.

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
Please do and I hope Sunshine and Sarah come in with some too and broaden the field some.
Heart's asking for my opinion! :wubbie: All right then, here are my answers...

To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee -- because it moves me to tears every single time I read it. It's beautifully written, and I love Atticus Finch.

Middlemarch, by George Eliot -- I re-read parts of this one every few years. I love the characterizations (btw, Dorothea Brooke is a good example of a fictional NF, and I personally think the delightful Fred Vincy is an ISFP.)

All Creatures Great and Small --actually, all of the James Herriot books -- doesn't matter which one, I love all those stories. Herriot's writing style makes me laugh no matter how many times I've re-read the same stories and know the punchlines.

Pride and Prejudice (forget the boring, snobby Darcy--- his friend BINGLEY was the true hero of the book!!!!) and Sense and Sensibility (becasue the passionate Marianne Dashwood was totally an introverted feeling type and I relate very much to her.

Any of Josephine Tey's mysteries, -- I love the atmosphere and the laid-back "detecting". I reread Tey whenever I want some "comfort reading."

I spent more time creating art than reading about it, but one of my favorite books that I recommend to everyone who's interested is Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, by Betty Edwards. I got that book as a gift when I was 12 years old and it changed my life. :)

I adored my French language classes, actually. I never "studied" for exams because I simply learned the material out of sheer love of listening to it.

Kind of, yes, but not in a purely abstract way. I'm more fascinated with the Jungian idea of the shadow, as well as the idea that human beings have the capacity for both good and evil in them, and that it's our daily choices in the here-and-now that determine our character.

I want to understand how I personally might be tempted to do evil so that I don't go there.

Accomplishing things I've always wanted to do -- and receiving praise for them. I always daydream about taking action that gets great results. ;)

6. what fascinates you most?
Noticing beauty in the ordinary -- and then capturing, highlighting and intensifying that pleasure via my art!!!! Owning my shadow side so I can be a more well-rounded person. Also, the way human relationships evolve over time fascinates me.

I'm afraid that's maybe an easy question for INFPs to answer, but not me. I'm not really tuned in to interconnectedness the same way you see it.

One of my closest friends is an INFP, and although I don't understand her lack of practicality sometimes, I love her and admire her for her thoughtfulness. I also think she's a wise person. I also highly respect an INFP who runs a type discussion list that I'm a member and one of the moderators of (the Yahoo groups list "temperamenttalk"). He and I have met in person and I consider him a friend, although not a close one. We've had a lot of arguments over type-related stuff in the past, but I think there's this mutual appreciation that keeps us communicating and still talking about type despite our disagreements. I'd say that INFPs tend to be less interested in details of practical living, and also many of them seem less interested in actually doing art than in talking about it.

I would send them right to a book or website that explains the cognitive processes. You can't really understand the difference between ISFP and INFP if you don't know how strongly the auxilliary and tertiary functions influence behavior. I'd encourage them to actually try DOING the cognitive function exercises in Dario Nardi's book 8 Keys to Self-Leadership: From Awareness to Action, to actually get a feel for how easy it is to do one and not the other.

10. What activities do you like to do outdoors? or What physical activities do you like to do?
Taking long walks, gardening, cross country skiing (not all that great at it, but it's fun). I take yoga classes currently and am enjoying them. I love to dance. I love to cook. I love to draw and create collages. I love to make even boring chores fun by turning them into a game --usually a game that involves dancing or creating something aesthetically pleasing. Can I also count entertaining kids in the library (part of my job) as a physical activity? Dancing to music with beanbags and shaker eggs is fun (you should try it sometime.)

It's a fantasy landscape of colors and well-defined shapes. This particular landscape isn't particulary evocative of anything to me. I guess I prefer art that draws you in towards appreciating the beauty of reality rather than being purely fantasy-based, although you could say that it encourages you to look for hints of these colors in a natural landscape the next time you're sitting in a window seat in an airplane.

I never really put it into words before, but I guess my philosophy has always been to understand my essence (what's essential to me, what I believe is important) and to find a creative outlet for expressing it. I love what someone once told me about our essence being related to our type's core needs, so with that in mind I'd say my core needs have a lot to do with expressing in the present moment what I deeply care about and why, and making sure I have the freedom to act on my own instincts. I also believe in respecting other people and treating them as I would prefer being treated, which is to say, not necessarily exactly the same (because everyone's different) but to listen to them, respect their answers, and treat them as THEY wish to be treated.

For Jeffster's sake, I'll say I hope Texas wins, but honestly I don't care much for pro sports.

14. Do you believe that some people are born evil, or is it a reaction to the environment in which they were raised in? (from Neo-Genesis)
I believe, like Alexandr Solzhenitsyn says, that the line running between good and evil runs through all of us, not just those who have made some seriously bad decisions. And that it's our daily choices that determine our overall character. I think character is shaped by a desire to grow personally, and accepting that you need to grow as a person is an essential act, and also an act of humility. I'm all for everyone becoming aware of their own shadow side as well as the side they want to present on an every day basis, because it seems to me that people who understand and own their darker side (meaning that they recognize it exists, they know the shape it takes, and they can find healthy ways of expressing it) don't feel as much of a need to hurt others who display their shadow, much less commit acts of evil.

15. If you were a tree, what kind would you be, and what would you like hirsch to make out of you? (by Hirsch)
A pear tree. Because they have beautiful wood, and beautiful fruit. Basically, they're beautiful all around. Birch trees run a close second, because I love their lithe, graceful appearance and mottled bark. ;)

Sarah
ISFP

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
Yeah, heart, I like that one too. There's like 3 or 4 lines from "Please Understand Me II" that I think are just awesome as well, and this might be the one I like the best (at least right this moment):

"Drawn to the improvising side of tactical intelligence, Entertainers are the friendly, fond-hearted Artisans, those SPs who want to amuse or to charm others, and whose first impulse is to inform those around them by making or showing them something beautiful or exciting."

He's actually talking about both ISFPs and ESFPs there, but that sums me up like perfectly. I want to amuse and charm others, and more than anything what I like to do is make or show people something beautiful or exciting. Or preferably both. :D

I agree totally. I feel passionate about creating physical beauty in my surroundings, and it give me a huge "high" when when others appreciate it. As far back as I can remember, I was always going around giving people gifts of stuff I'd made for them or drawn for them.

I also like these lines from Berens book on temperament:

"Given their core need to have impact, Artisans [SPs] are skilled at making even the most mundane act a performance."

"Very often, Artisans love to entertain with their performances from flamboyance to a quiet remark that makes people laugh."

Sarah
ISFP

quietmusician

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I don't read fiction. I only read how-to books.

None.

Yes, it's interesting.

Not really.

The perfect this or that.

People.

It's possible that we are connected in ways one could ever imagine.

Introspective and creative.

INFP - quiet intensity
ISFP - original clothing

I'm not an outdoorsy person. I do play guitar, watch movies,and write.

11. - How would you describe this picture (briefly)?
Creative. Nice bird's eye view.

It sucks then you die?

lol. umm..

Nature vs. nurture. I don't know, I'm in between.

A dead one most likely, but if I had to choose I'd pick Maple.

riel

MBTI Type
ISFP
1. Five favorite fiction books(and why)

I'm not much into fiction, but I find the Stanislaski series(Nora Roberts) and Nancy Drew series very interesting.

2. Favorite subjects

Chemistry(I only like the experiments--but the theories? they make me go crazy!)
Asian History and Civilization
English(only the stories)
General Psychology( I like the abnormal psychology best!)

3. Like the duality of good vs. evil, light vs. dark?

No.

4. Want to understand how evil works?

Depends on what kind of evil(but I do like to understand what makes people commit crimes like murder, etc.)

5. Topics of my favorite daydreams?

My crushes

6. What fascinates you most?

Pictures of beautiful places, abnormal psychology, starry night

7. What do you think about the interconnection between humans and all that is?

I don't know...haven't really thought about it.

I admire the way they think...I have a friend and she was like strong on the intuitive side, and I reallly admire her because she can make connections between things that even I can't think about.

I don't know..maybe let them read both the ISFP and INFP profiles.

Jump roping, watch the stars at night, feel the breeze

11. - How would you describe this picture (briefly)?

It's colorful, vibrant, interesting, and refreshing!

Only a person can change himself.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know..I'm not from the US.

I believe that it is a reaction to the environment in which they were raised in.

An acacia tree--big and tall

bananafish

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
- Book Of Lost Things
I love how they twisted traditional fairytales together into something ironically explicit and R rated.

- Harry Potter series
HELLO? Harry Potter is like AWESOME.

- The Rising (and the part two, City Of The Dead)
'Cause zombies are effing win.

- Hard Boiled Wonderland And The End Of The World
Anything by Haruki Murakami is genius, of course (but that's just me).

- The Perks Of Being A Wallflower
It touched me. I can relate to it. [:

English literature, creative writing..... that would be it.

no. lol. i'm fascinated with how they make kirspy kreme donuts though.

not really. i wanna go scubadiving! : D

love<3

6. what fascinates you most?
MBTI. hah. and fish. and art... alot of things, really. funny how i get bored easily though.

Eh.... we are just all living here as one giant incest, but not really incestual family. Might as well get along with eachother while we're here. [:
(even though that's impossible atm... T_T)

Haha. Funny, 'cause right now I'm still confused as to which could be me. IT'S SO HARD.

Er... not sure. o_o
ISFPs like to work with their hands more, I suppose? *shrug* I'm still figuring out which owuld be me.

----------------------------------------------------------
Run around acting insane. Cut the heads offa flowers. 'cause that's how I roll.

MY EYES
dood! its cool in its own way, but the colors blind me. thinking deeper (interpreting) into that painting would hurt my brain.

Live life the best you can! 'Cause when you grow old and poopy, there's no turning back~! : D

Heck, as if I know. lol. I don't watch games.

Second part, plz. No offense, but first sounds ridiculous. lol.

I'd be a willow tree. Make me into a magic wand. :3

~~~

Haha, ok, here's my question to add then:

Your co-worker's b-day is coming up, and you don't know them very well yet. Would you rather give them a homemade present or one that was store bought?

ShadowPage

What's the shelf life of old, old threads? Tch, that's not the right way to say it.
If I answered these questions, because I am curious about what the OP's reasoning behind it is, while this thread come back to life?
Seems unlikely- and yet, I'm still curious.

ShadowPage

With thanks to Skylights for the encouragement (I have no idea how the reputation system works. One more thing for me to familiarize myself with :smile: ) I will answer the questions anyway and see how that goes! Oh yea, I should clarify: I don't know if I am an ISFP. I'm just pretty sure that I'm Sensing-Feeling. I don't know which functions are my dominant/auxiliary tho, and that's what I want to figure out! :D

This is hard. I don't really read books anymore so much as manga or stuff online. And I read so much of it that I tend to blur stuff together!
One: I love the manga series Gokusen. I have to count the series as a whole. It's amazingly funny, filled with action, and the main protagonist is a boss!!

Two: Another manga series- Red River or Anatolia Story (there's multiple translations of the title). This one is like a fantasy epic drama. I love that the main character of the story undergoes tons of development throughout (she starts out as a victim of evil magic and, thanks to the help of one of the princes of the land she ends up in, manages not only to stay alive put prove her worth as highly respected and well beloved general and later Queen. How awesome does THAT sound?! :smile: ). She is a fantastically compassionate and loving person, a quick learner (And considering the number of attempts on her life, she has to be!) and an awesome fighter! Ok, I just realized that I would be writing at length about that story so I'm just going to pull the brake there.

Three: More manga! Momo Lover! This one is sooo cute!! The art style is very appealing both in character and clothing design (that's something I really pay attention to when reading manga or any comics in general). This one is about the cutest, smartest, most well dressed toddler ever, her aunt, the two guys intent on her aunt's love, and the mystery surrounding her parents' relationship. It's pretty much guaranteed to put a smile on my face.

Four: This one is an actual novel. ;) It's called Feed. When I have the attention span to read novels (I had it as a kid, but not as much these days), I tend to really like dystopian future stories. I like to read stories that mess with it's audience. This one is relatively lighter fare since it's for teenagers, but I still quite like it.

Five: This one is not quite poetry but also not exactly prose. It's called Crank. I love the way that it's written. The fact that the author uses the space on the pages to also frame the story with the spatial relationships with the lines and stanzas is very cool. Also, the story is pretty intense in of itself.

Um.... Are we talking textbooks or any materials related to the subject? Well, I have no interest in the sorts of books I read in most of my English classes. That was one of my favorite subjects in high school. I also loved Biology, tho. I don't formally read science books, but I like to read science facts and articles from time to time! College is a different story, tho. I have a preference for Math and Science, and I never did that much reading for Math. :D

Hmmm.... no. I don't subscribe to the idea that there is a dichotomy there. Light and Dark, in a conceptual sense, exist on a plane to me. It's more than a spectrum, and it's definitely not one or the other. I used to think about that sort of thing when I was younger, and I became comfortable with seeing it as a plane upon which people, ideas, and actions can move in all four directions upon. I don't think much about it these days.

Hah, no. I have no desire or need for that understanding.

I'll plead the fifth on this one.

I don't have an answer for this one. My fascination tends to cycle around depending on how I feel and what I'm focused on at the time. *shrug* Sorry.

I think that there are some deep, deep wounds that would have to be healed before I could really consider humanity to be an interconnected whole, much less capable of being interconnected with 'all that is'. Beyond that, though, I haven't thought much about it at all.

I can say that an INFP definitely wrote the original questions! :D

*shrug* I haven't got much. Maybe asking what the person enjoys doing in their free time?

10. What activities do you like to do outdoors? or What physical activities do you like to do? (from Placebo)

Lawl, nah. I avoid being outside if I don't have to be. The only things I can think of liking while outside are gardening/playing with fresh earth and swimming. Otherwise, I like to be on my way somewhere specific.

11. - How would you describe this picture (briefly)? Nothing found for Images Ncwa_Painting Jpg

What a shame, the image is gone. *shrug*

Not really...No...

:D However many years ago that was!

Definitely a matter of reaction/conditioning. Everyone has varying levels of commitment to acting on their thoughts/beliefs, but there are way too many environmental factors involved to presume that a horrible person was always horrible.

I don't know anything about trees, but it would be cool for my tree to become a magnificent longbow.

---------------------

Phew, that took me quite some time! But it was also kind of fun.