User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    epyT

1. What MMORPG(s) do you play?
    I used to play World of Warcraft.

2. How long have you been playing?
    I played on and off (few months here and there) for 4 years. (Ages 14-18)

3. Roughly how many hours do you play each week?
    I played an average of 8-9 hours per week.

4. What was your reason for starting?
    Fun, I had friends that played, I enjoyed Warcraft 3.

5. What is your reason for continuing to play?
    I don't anymore. I stopped because it became dead boring to play.

6. Do you feel that you are 'addicted' to the game? Could you quit today and not go back? Explain.
    At some points I'd get antsy if I couldn't log on at some point in the day. Not anymore though. I haven't played for over a year.

7. Have you ever been a GM? (Guild master)
    No

8. What is the best part of online gaming?
    I liked the social aspect and exploration was very fun for me.

9. How different from your real-life self is your online personality?
    Not very.

10. What is your MBTI type?
    ENTP

MBTI
    INtP

I've played Everquest, City of Heroes, EverquestII, and Vanguard, but haven't played any for hmm - a year and a half or so. I also played a text mud extensively in the 90's. The only ones I stuck with for any length of time were the original Everquest and the text mud.

Text-muds in the 90's, Everquest and others from 1999 up through about a year and a half ago, but with several year+ long stretches when I didn't play at all.

I played quite a bit. Usually 4-5 hours 3-4 nights a week after work, and most days on weekends. Say 30 hours a week?

Mostly whim and novelty. When I first started, I'd just graduated from college, and was staying in my small college town with nothing else to do in the evenings. The internet was new (this was pre-web browser, I'm old), and the option was pretty much TV, which, yuck.

I don't now, but for the majority of the time I played, it was a social-contact sort of thing, with some sense of accomplishment (imaginary, but something). I definitely still miss the social aspect (note - I think that the social aspect for newer games is NOTHING like it was in the older ones).

6. Do you feel that you are 'addicted' to the game? Could you quit today and not go back? Explain.
    Well, I did, so yes. I'm a bit wary of using the term "addicted" for a game, but I was obsessed about it at times. I can honestly say that I never chose to play when I had other options or responsibilities, be it work, sports, or doing things with friends... but the game filled the *rest* of my free time pretty effectively... and disincentivized me to find new or other things to pursue. I have quit, and don't particularly have any desire to start a new game. When I did quit, it was sort of a gradual thing - I just lost interest, and although I stuck around LONG after I'd lost interest as a way to keep in touch with friends and maintain some daily "social contact" (which I still pretty much lack outside of work), once I left I didn't really have desire to go back until I forgot the rat-race aspect of it and just remembered the fun and friendship.

I was the coadministrator of a text mud back in the day, which was the closest thing comparable to a modern guild master at the time, but no. The whole "guild master as management executive" role didn't really come into play until I was an old hand at the genre and had no interest in that aspect of things. However, I'll add... some people do an excellent management job as GM's - enough so that I'm confident that their skills have rolled over into "real life". Weird how those things happen.

I'd say the friendship, bonds, and memories you make along the way. In the old world, games really did establish a culture and community that did take on aspects of reality. I don't think that's the case so much these days. Some of those old EQ screenshot slideshow-set-to-music flash movies get a surprisingly powerful reaction out of me - probably always will.

Pretty much the same.

INtP

Oh, and Nighthawk and Jennifer - thanks for the link

Senior Member Misty_Mountain_Rose's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I've seen a few people mention that they logged into a game that they had lost interest in so they could still keep in contact with some of their friends. This leads me to believe that the social interaction becomes one of the key factors in gaming.

I have to admit that I am an ex-gamer who, for a very long time, used to log into a game that I had grown bored with just to chat with Guild and Alliance members. (Not WoW alliance, but Alliance as in 'collection of guilds' on the same chat channel) My character would stand in one place for hours while I chatted.

The link you guys gave me has loads of information on gaming mentality. My goal is to create something similar except I want to know if MMORPG's are more alluring to certain personality types and what it is that each type is looking for in a general sense during their time spent online.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Misty_Mountain_Rose View Post
    I've seen a few people mention that they logged into a game that they had lost interest in so they could still keep in contact with some of their friends. This leads me to believe that the social interaction becomes one of the key factors in gaming.
    It's one of the typical motivations.

If you go through the Daedalus site, you'll see that Nick actually has developed an interesting description of motivations for gaming (there are a few different "categories" of online gamers, and the social facet is one of those styles).

My character would stand in one place for hours while I chatted.
    A few of us here played last night for a bit, but did also spend a healthy chunk of time standing in one of the inn buildings and talking about lots of things and just goofing off.

The link you guys gave me has loads of information on gaming mentality. My goal is to create something similar except I want to know if MMORPG's are more alluring to certain personality types and what it is that each type is looking for in a general sense during their time spent online.
    it will be interesting to see what you come up with.

I don't know how genre impacts player motivations -- do certain types of people flock to certain styles of game?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Senior Member Misty_Mountain_Rose's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I don't know, but its definately something I'd like to find out. My theory is that online people become more like 'themselves' because really there is no ramification to stating whats on your mind in a 'real' sense. The only thing that is odd is how many 'shy' people in real life (maybe even categorized as Introverts) seem to show up en masse in online games. People with no social life in the real world seem to LOVE the social interaction online because they can 'be themselves' without being picked on for say, being overweight.

In this way, does an Introvert find a way to express themselves, to explore their Extroverted side in a safe manner? Are introverts that way because they feel insecure for some reason in the real world? Would we all be 'extroverts' if we could overcome that?

MBTI
    INtP

That's certainly a very large part of it, but there are also some less positive factors... with the way MMO's typically work, among folks who play a lot, there's a pretty large penalty for and consequently fear of, getting left behind. There's some "I'd like to take a break, but if I do, when I come back, I'll lose the chance to play with my friends" in there, too. At least in the games that I played, that was pretty much built into the structure of the game.

I don't know, but its definately something I'd like to find out. My theory is that online people become more like 'themselves' because really there is no ramification to stating whats on your mind in a 'real' sense. The only thing that is odd is how many 'shy' people in real life (maybe even categorized as Introverts) seem to show up en masse in online games. People with no social life in the real world seem to LOVE the social interaction online because they can 'be themselves' without being picked on for say, being overweight.
    One thing I'd disagree with is that there's no ramification to stating what's on your mind - reputation can be everything in an MMO (at least in the past - I hear it's no longer such a big deal). As for the introvert thing, I don't think it's so much that you can "be yourself", as it is that there's a very big difference between a social interaction in reality and one in an MMO. Much larger separation, and the separation's pretty much completely in your control. It is social, but it's not a "social stimulation overcharge" like real situations can be. The "half-social" thing, can be appealing... although I'm not sure it's healthy to count on it as a major part of your social life.

In this way, does an Introvert find a way to express themselves, to explore their Extroverted side in a safe manner? Are introverts that way because they feel insecure for some reason in the real world? Would we all be 'extroverts' if we could overcome that?
    I doubt it. I was always just as "introverted" in MMO's as I was in real life - I kept to myself, or with a small number of good friends (sometimes within a larger group when necessary due to game mechanics). Introversion isn't the same thing as insecurity - there can be some overlapping symptoms, but I don't think MMO's are necessarily a way to really promote interaction (although it certainly works for some).

MBTI
    ENTJ

[QUOTE=Misty_Mountain_Rose;352279]I'm doing a bit of research on personalities that are drawn to MMORPGs including its effects, reasons for starting, 'addiction' level, etc. If anyone plays MMORPGs such as Everquest, WoW, DAOC, SWG, GuildWars, etc., could you take a minute to answer these questions?

Asheron's Call

Played for approx. 5 years

played anywhere from 10-25

The rich fantasy world, idea of "questing" or "treasure-hunting" with a real-world societal connection. A highschool associate referred me and quite truely appealed to the INFP child in my heart (who seems to be a grown ENFP now)

I stopped playing when the futility of it all was outweighed by the needs and desires of a real life. I decided to roleplay myself rather than an avatar with combat and magical skills.

I never felt addicted. I did feel that it served an actual, necessary outlet for me. For that reason I "played" a considerable amount of the time, though I was of an age when there were less responsibilities to be met. As such, I feel I gained important life skills.

no

cooperation

It's a much more colorful expression of myself. I can't exactly afford to express my image in a way I would if money was not an issue. In the game world, I could more or less craft my image as I saw fit.

ENFP. I feel I may have been born an INFP or had developed I tendencies as an only child, and was required to exercise my social skills as I grew older.

Furthermore, I am an X type on the F and the T. I express traits of a T type at times, though am predominantly F. I'm unquestionably an N and P, however. It's been somewhat difficult trying to establish an exact brain type for myself, and feel ENFP is closest.

Senior Member TenebrousReflection's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

None presently, but I was a longtime MMOG player for quite a few years. I have played UO, EQ1, DAOC, EQ2, Vanguard and probably a few others I'm forgetting.

Since sometime in the mid 90s starting with text MUDs on multi-user BBS systems. I played UO when it was in beta but only stuck with it for about a month or less after it went live. I was not in the beta for EQ, but played it from the day it went live off and on until EQ2 came out and then played EQ2 until about March of 2007.

It would vary on what else I had to do, but anywhere between 0 to 4 hours a day on weekdays and 0 to 12 on weekends.

I've been a gamer pretty much my whole life startign with board games, RPGs and computer and video games, so trying MMOGS/MUDs was a natural branch of gaming experimentation.

Lots of reasons ranging from feelign like I had an impact of some kind on a persistant world to liking the sense of exploration and finding and overcoming new challenges (and finding new things to chalenge myself with), but in the end it was the quality of the guilds (the other players I grouped with and raided with) I was in that determeined how much I felt like staying logged in once I logged in and such - when guilds I was in died off (through players either quiting the game or switching to different guilds), I would tend to loose interest until I found another good guild to join.

I may have been, but in the same way I'm addicted to coffee. I can go a few days without it, but I start to miss it after a couple. I have been a non-MMOG player for over a year now (I tried AoC earlier this year, but it failed to pull me in) and still miss the guild and advanturing/exploring aspects of MMOGs, but without a good guild of friends to keep me playing, I've found plenty of other ways to spend my time.

Yes, but only by attrition (being the last active player left in the guild )
    Sadly, that happened in 3 of the guilds I've been in over time.

Being part of a persistant world and interacting with the populace of it. In particular, I liked playing the roles of craftsman, merchant, explorer/guide and scholar/researcher/sage etc.

Most of the time, not very different at all, but probably a bit more extroverted, and more risk taking. Each character is individualized and has some personality of their own, but as others have commented, its more of showing other parts of me that mgith nto be visible to everyone, a bit like a shadow function taking over and gettign to play for a bit.

INFp

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Okay, I think I know what the ORPG part means, but what is the MM? Multi-media? many men? Mushy meatloaf?
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

Senior Member TenebrousReflection's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    Okay, I think I know what the ORPG part means, but what is the MM? Multi-media? many men? Mushy meatloaf?
    Masivly Multiplayer... But I think you have unintentionaly hit on a new idea. I don't know of any MMOG that revolves around cooking, so a massivly multiplayer mushy meatloaf game could be a whole new marketing idea for someone to explore. If you look at the number of playstation games etc that involve cooking of some kind, its really not too far of a stretch to think it could work and be fun. Iron-Chef MMORPG?