User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

Default WHat got you interested in MBTI?

i was reading cimmaron's sig and it basically says that he/she's here so he/she can communicate with other types better. that's a big gap from why i'm here. sure, i like the practicality of MBTI and i was drawn by its accuracy, but to be honest, i'm just here cos i'm obsessed with the theory and want to exchange ideas for the sake of it.

why are you here?

MBTI
    ENTP

Ironically enough, it explained why I was introverted... hahahahah

No, really. I was going through all kinds of mental hell because after years of isolation, a friend took it on himself to try to socialize me - his way. I mentioned it at more length in the thread Bringing you out of your shell.

I was feeling really confused because I wasn't responding very well at all to his efforts, and his interpretations of that were giving me all kinds of hell. I started desperately researching anything I could find that might help explain to me - and hopefully to my friend - why he really needed to just leave me alone to do it at my own pace, why his approach was not having its desired effect. I was Googling key words like "social anxiety" and "personal space" and stuff like that, and eventually a chain of links led me to an MBTI test on the humanmetrics website.

I did the test and came out as INTP, then read loads of explanations and stuff about introversion and it seemed a plausible explanation of why I was feeling so upset about all this socializing.

Of course later on I realized I was barking up the wrong tree - in fact I'm a strong extravert but wasn't liking ESFP style socializing, and besides, my social skills were stunted due to an isolated life.

It has helped me to get a sort of ball-park figure as it were, as to where I'm going wrong and what areas I need to improve on and possible sources of misunderstanding between myself and others - I wasn't willing to accept that when I was doing my best with good intentions, the reason I was having problems could be that I was just an asshole or a social retard cos I could get on with most people just fine. But I don't take it as comprehensive... it's pop psychology really, but still useful in a limited way.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Reading literature online about extroversion/introversion->reading about Jung->then MBTI->took the test->read the INTP description->googled INTP.. i think->found INTPc

MBTI
    INTJ

My INFP sister first got me interested in MBTT, much like almost everything else in my life. I got my first computer because of her, got the internet because of her, etc. Anywho...

It was about 18 years ago. I started out with the book by Barron and Tieger called Do What You Are. After 3 months, I was still agonizing over what type I was. I wanted to be an INFJ, but I turned out to be an INTJ.

It has been extremely useful knowing which parts of my behavior are considered typical INTJ behaviors. I decided to stop beating myself up for being that way. It helped me accept myself.

Their book Nurture By Nature has been also hugely helpful to me in understanding my kids. I was even consulting it last night concerning my 14 year old.

Those two books and Naomi Quenk's book Beside Ourselves are the three I consult the most.

I guess INTJs tend to be extra relationally-challenged so INTJs apparently benefit a lot more from these tools than regular people.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Like substitute, I was trying to find some information on introversion v. extroversion.

I tripped over the MBTI while doing so. Seemed too sugary and rooted in an ecosystem of personal, arbitrary bias at first.

As a credible system for predicting behavior, I haven't had much in the way of positive experiences with it. As breezy source material for interacting with others during my down-time, I like it just fine.

The MBTI is more of a conversation piece to me. A knick-knack.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by animenagai View Post
    i was reading cimmaron's sig and it basically says that he/she's here so he/she can communicate with other types better. that's a big gap from why i'm here. sure, i like the practicality of MBTI and i was drawn by its accuracy, but to be honest, i'm just here cos i'm obsessed with the theory and want to exchange ideas for the sake of it.

why are you here?
    Are you asking 1)how I got interested in personality types stuff or 2)why I'm currently a member of this forum?, because those are two different questions.

Oh heck, I guess I'll answer both.

1) I'd like to say it had something to do with hot chicks, but I think it was some online quiz I came across.

2) It has something to do with hot chicks.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

my mom showed me the test on the internet. i had no idea what my resul meantt, so i searched a little more. i gave it to my friends, out of curiosity. then, suddenly i felt the urge to know what type was everyone around me.......

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by animenagai View Post
    i was reading cimmaron's sig and it basically says that he/she's here so he/she can communicate with other types better.
    Haha

I chose that because I figured that that was the best positive use for MBTI, and just went from there.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I became interested in MBTI back in 1996 (I think), as a way to understand myself and more easily understand others. So it was a big part of my self-acceptance journey, to realize I was not screwed up (necessarily) just because I was different, and that I actually "made sense" in my own way.

So it also helped me chart where to go next, what a viable road looked like for me, what careers might be good to pursue. It also helped accept others who followed different values and processes, rather than being critical of them because they didn't uniformly follow my way of dealing with life.

Aside from that, I like tinkering with systems... especially ones that mix a healthy dose of abstraction with real-life data and are as complex as people seem to be.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

I became interested in MBTI because I am into personal growth and thought it would be a good tool to help me learn more about myself.
    I came here to get answers to a few questions. I stayed 'cause it's fun.