User Tag List

First 1234 Last

I'd been interested in psychology, different personalities and so on for a long time, but the initial thing that drove me to MBTI was the drive to understand myself and others better. Also I needed some sort of justification for being, well, 'like this'. It had never really satisfied me that I'd gotten strange or rare results from personality tests. It never explained anything of complete personality aka how it manifested in a person's mind, behavior.. I'd always felt that there was something wrong with me and I've been told that many times. Too complex, untraditional, and the thing that I didn't 'work' the way others did. The fact that I couldn't settle for what I supposed to settle for. The drive for understanding, meaning, something more, I wanted justification that that was normal and acceptable. The fact that I can't settle for an okay job, an average place in society and family somewhere in the future and keep repeating what's been repeated for years. That'd kill me. I was always the odd one in the family, the one who thought too much or in a wrong way.

I think the temperament model was what effected me the most and drove towards MBTI. I always longed to be understood.

I still get nagged at a lot at home, partly because I tend to destruy their thought of security with travelling and etc. That place will never change and they're happy like that, but at least I know how to answer to them now.

Rant over and out. I always do get carried away..

MBTI
    INTx

I've always been interested in what makes people the way they are. Then, about 18 months ago, I was randomly surfing the net and found a personality test - it turned out to be for enneagrams but I found the results intriguing and that lead me into further research.

MBTI interests me for two reasons - 1. after so many years, I have discovered that I am not the only person 'like this' and that it really is OK to be different and 2. the theory is fascinating and worthy of further research. So I guess my reasons are both practical and intellectual, which is probably to be expected of an INTx!
    You what?

MBTI
    INTP

I was introduced to MBTI at the Advanced Military Source Operations Course (AMSOC) and again at the Dept of Defense Strategic Debriefing Course (DSDC). Both courses open with an overview of MBTI as a tool that can be used for approaching/assessing sources/subjects, however neither seem to delve deeply enough into it to really round it out as the 'tool for your toolbox' they said it is. I found myself deeply interested in it, as most everything regardling INTPs applied to me and my experiences. I wanted to see how far I could take it beyond what the instructors presented, delving into the psyches/habits/drives of others. It's still a work in progress.

The bottle is waiting.
    The cap is twisted,
    begging to be used.
    And so are you...
    - DBC

MBTI
    INTx
    Enneagram

I enjoy writing and examining various personality types and traits has helped me develop some of my characters better.

Oddly enough, many of my prominent characters seem to be NTs of various types.
    "Science is the attempt to make the chaotic diversity of our sense-experience correspond to a logically uniform style of thought." -Einstein

"Fools who wear their hearts proudly on their sleeves, who cannot control their emotions, who wallow in sad memories and allow themselves to be provoked this easily weak people, in other words they stand no chance!" -Snape

Em. Female INTx and Proud of it. Left-handed Calligrapher. Writer. Scientist. Type Five Enneagram.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

It might have been Keirsey's site I was introduced to after a friend e-mailed me a custom test in 1997. I found it alarmingly accurate, and eventually useful for situations like hearing "So I'm talking to my XXXX friend...."

And feeling that I know the stranger a bit before the end of the sentence. If there's another way to describe someone so quickly and effortlessly, I am unaware of it.

heart on fire

I got into because of always feeling odd, out of step, wrong, and not being able to communicate with people in ways that go smoothly. Now I understand a lot better why I rub to raw with some people and I am not so sure that it's always the horrible thing I thought it was before. It is sort of funny, but finding out what people don't like about me I am like "that's what you don't like? Out of all the things that are wrong with me, you pick that? Well, pffft!"

Also it help me to understand my own lack of clarity at times and how I've tried to run from what I am.

The need for it as a tool is waning now, but I stay here because I like the mix of people.

It is a good tool for self-discovery if not taken too extremes or too seriously but I see it also has a potiential for making society a nightmare of control where people are boxed and catagorized. I don't like to see workplaces and such using it, especially if mandatory or peer pressure. It should only be used by individuals in private searching for self knowledge.

MBTI
    ISTx

It was totally random for me. I think I was bored one day and wanted to find a "introverts" message board to see what people were talking about (Yeah, random...). I stumbled on INTPc or whatever that place was and registered and thought I was one of them because I figured it was just general for "introverts" (n00b alert). They told me I probably wasn't an INTP (lol) and sent me here, then I actually found out what the hell MBTI was. Now I'm constantly trying to type people I know/meet. It's actually to the point of annoyance. This place has ruined my life.

I just haven't decided to leave yet... There's some cool people here.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    Now I'm constantly trying to type people I know/meet. It's actually to the point of annoyance. This place has ruined my life.
    I can relate. I already knew I sucked before I read this stuff. Now that I know WHY I suck, it's like I'm trapped in a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I just haven't decided to leave yet... There's some cool people here.
    True.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

It was one of the few times I was really bored, so I took a personality test.

I sometimes imagine how things would be different if I hadn't.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I found out about it when assigned a presentation on it for a former job.

I'm here because I like the forum and I see possibilities for using the theory to better understand my own impulses as well as the bizarre thinking patterns of others.

And because I'm often procrastinating/bored, and this site works well for that.