User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Default Question Related To Alcohol And Personality..

This is entirely based on a lifelong set of my own observations, so feel free to correct me if you think I'm wrong but..

Why is it that incredibly introverted or socially anxious people are the most likely to avoid drinking alcohol?

I feel that engaging in such an activity is a good way for me to feel more comfortable in a situation that could potentially be awkward. I am surprised that many of the people who have the greatest problems with social situations are the ones that are usually so adamantly opposed to drinking it.

What are your thoughts?
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
    Why is it that incredibly introverted or socially anxious people are the most likely to avoid drinking alcohol?
    Because they hate the thought of loosing control? There's nothing more insane than a drunk introvert..

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Because they hate the thought of loosing control? There's nothing more insane than a drunk introvert..
    Yup! I'm a prime example of that.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I don't know of any particular relation between the two in my own observation. I've known plenty of drunkard introverts, and plenty of extroverts who don't drink.

My two main reasons for not drinking are that I don't actually LIKE alcohol, and as I grew up, I watched alcohol fuel the destruction of several relationships, both inside my family and out as well as several people's lives ended because of it. There's so many ways to have fun and enjoy life that don't involve alcohol. Yes,. I know there are responsible drinkers, but there's also people trained to play with fire, that doesn't mean in general it's not still a bad idea.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    infp

Introverts getting drunk is opening pandora's box. What comes out astounds all. All my ideas and thoughts and primal urges are thrown inside out and are just spilled out. It really is opening pandora's box. Shit, why is there an entire social group devoted to my drunk posts then?

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Yea, that's how my INTJ friend described it.
    He only got drunk once in his life at his college.
    He said he was an angry drunk..not a happy one.
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Someone that socially anxious probably fears saying/doing something "weird"/judg-able the most. So from that standpoint, sure, in the short-term you'll get the brief benefits of "loosening up"- at the potential long-term cost of being mortified at your actions while "loosened up". **

Personally, I'm not particularly fond of the taste of alcohol (though I like to throw a little cognac into pork dishes sometimes)- nor have I found the effects to be particularly impressive.

** Then again, the one person I know in real life who claims to suffer from social phobia drinks like a fish, full-on college style. She's intensely melodramatic though, an extravert and does not suffer from particularly bad social skills (she's unhealthily obsessed with not making a fool of herself - and about what people are thinking about her)- so take that as you will.

MBTI
    INTP

Hahah, thats when all my nerdiness comes out. I actually prefer it that way because I don't really feel like I lose "control" since I'm like hyper control freak about anything personal when sober. Just my crazy thoughts and ideas spill out, and my tendency to elaborate. I don't have the random personal spilling of my life details like my extroverted friends though. I think I pretty much turn into an ENTP especially when I'm not around my close friends.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I only ever drink as much as I can control. I don't generally like the taste of alcohol for one, and I am most definitely afraid of saying or doing something that would be mortifying to me in my sober state.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
    This is entirely based on a lifelong set of my own observations, so feel free to correct me if you think I'm wrong but..

I feel that engaging in such an activity is a good way for me to feel more comfortable in a situation that could potentially be awkward. I am surprised that many of the people who have the greatest problems with social situations are the ones that are usually so adamantly opposed to drinking it.

What are your thoughts?
    I was the same (in my bad days).

I'm suprised at that too.

And ajblaise is right, a drunk Introvert (with issues) is a crazy thing!
    yesiknowimamiserablegrouchnowgoawayovmeleor

It's Mizzz ST, thank you...