• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Question Related To Alcohol And Personality..

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
This is entirely based on a lifelong set of my own observations, so feel free to correct me if you think I'm wrong but..

Why is it that incredibly introverted or socially anxious people are the most likely to avoid drinking alcohol?

I feel that engaging in such an activity is a good way for me to feel more comfortable in a situation that could potentially be awkward. I am surprised that many of the people who have the greatest problems with social situations are the ones that are usually so adamantly opposed to drinking it.

What are your thoughts?

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Why is it that incredibly introverted or socially anxious people are the most likely to avoid drinking alcohol?

Because they hate the thought of loosing control? There's nothing more insane than a drunk introvert..

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I don't know of any particular relation between the two in my own observation. I've known plenty of drunkard introverts, and plenty of extroverts who don't drink.

My two main reasons for not drinking are that I don't actually LIKE alcohol, and as I grew up, I watched alcohol fuel the destruction of several relationships, both inside my family and out as well as several people's lives ended because of it. There's so many ways to have fun and enjoy life that don't involve alcohol. Yes,. I know there are responsible drinkers, but there's also people trained to play with fire, that doesn't mean in general it's not still a bad idea.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
Introverts getting drunk is opening pandora's box. What comes out astounds all. All my ideas and thoughts and primal urges are thrown inside out and are just spilled out. It really is opening pandora's box. Shit, why is there an entire social group devoted to my drunk posts then? :laugh:

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Because they hate the thought of loosing control? There's nothing more insane than a drunk introvert..

Yea, that's how my INTJ friend described it.
He only got drunk once in his life at his college.
He said he was an angry drunk..not a happy one.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Someone that socially anxious probably fears saying/doing something "weird"/judg-able the most. So from that standpoint, sure, in the short-term you'll get the brief benefits of "loosening up"- at the potential long-term cost of being mortified at your actions while "loosened up". **

Personally, I'm not particularly fond of the taste of alcohol (though I like to throw a little cognac into pork dishes sometimes)- nor have I found the effects to be particularly impressive.

** Then again, the one person I know in real life who claims to suffer from social phobia drinks like a fish, full-on college style. She's intensely melodramatic though, an extravert and does not suffer from particularly bad social skills (she's unhealthily obsessed with not making a fool of herself - and about what people are thinking about her)- so take that as you will.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
Hahah, thats when all my nerdiness comes out. I actually prefer it that way because I don't really feel like I lose "control" since I'm like hyper control freak about anything personal when sober. Just my crazy thoughts and ideas spill out, and my tendency to elaborate. I don't have the random personal spilling of my life details like my extroverted friends though. I think I pretty much turn into an ENTP especially when I'm not around my close friends.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I only ever drink as much as I can control. I don't generally like the taste of alcohol for one, and I am most definitely afraid of saying or doing something that would be mortifying to me in my sober state.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
This is entirely based on a lifelong set of my own observations, so feel free to correct me if you think I'm wrong but..

I feel that engaging in such an activity is a good way for me to feel more comfortable in a situation that could potentially be awkward. I am surprised that many of the people who have the greatest problems with social situations are the ones that are usually so adamantly opposed to drinking it.

What are your thoughts?

I was the same (in my bad days).

I'm suprised at that too.

And ajblaise is right, a drunk Introvert (with issues) is a crazy thing!

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My old drinking buddies were an INTP and an INFP... though not particularly socially awkward ones. :)

As an extrovert, I must say that I rarely pass up a drink.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Something that has to be factored into this equation is how well a person is able to handle substances and different states of consciousness. I have never been afraid or wary of what I'll do or say if I get too drunk, and I'm introverted. But I've seen other introverts turn into blabbering fools after a few drinks.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
good point. I just get less serious, more talkative, and just generally joke around. I most certainly still have an amazing amount of control of my "inner" self, I almost never disclose anything really personal. I usually have a habit of passing out before anything gets too crazy.

MBTI Type
INTJ

I take issue with the validity of your primary assumption. Alcoholism is a classic byproduct of loneliness and introversion.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I take issue with the validity of your primary assumption. Alcoholism is a classic byproduct of loneliness and introversion.

*feels safe now from developing the scourge of alcoholism*

:ninja:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I don't know I like to drink and I'm not one of those cry about my problems drunks. And who cares if I do something stupid, I'm drunk, and I'd probably do something stupid sober so really I'd rather be drunk so I can be like hey I was drunk when I licked your cat dude, sorry. Though she was tasty.

I've never had the urge to lick someones cat drunk or sober btw.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
"on my gender:I do not have a penis, I never had a penis, I probably will never have a penis. plus I have bewbs, small ones, but they are still considered bewbs."

"I've never had the urge to lick someones pussy cat drunk or sober btw."

Right... Im gonna go ahead and give you the benefit of the doubt and just say your a little confused.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I was talking about an actual cat and I do not have a penis. I'm not confused you're confused.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm not drunk. I was just saying I've never licked a ...no that's a lie...I've never licked a cat drunk or sober. maybe once sober, tasted furry by the way. I do not lick cats on a regular basis.