User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

you have 666 posts! creepy.

and thank you for the compliment and your welcome.
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Okay, cool. The other thread I linked to on the first page of this thread had some really good discussion on all this.

These seem to be important points:

Obviously, do not think of "intuition" in its common usage. Remember it as an MBTI function. Maybe you don't think it's the best name for it, but they had to call it something. In fact, the same is true about Thinking. It refers to a specific MBTI function, not exactly correlated to the everyday use of the word. So that's the terminology we use.

Keeping this in mind, it bothers me a lot less that N seems to be a mode/aspect of thinking; T is also a mode/aspect of thinking. From there, I guess the best help is to remember that N is perception, whereas T is judgment. The difference between those two is something I can grasp a lot more readily.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

N is a way of perception (that might be the wrong word) and T is a way of decision making. E and I are the direction you do both and J and P are what direct the introversion and extroversion.

EDIT:

Please Understand Me Part II by David Keirsey might help you. At least better than i can at 7 oclock in the morning lol.
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    What is the difference between Intuition and Thinking? How can you distinguish when something is intuition, and not just thinking? I just realized this is a main road block in my understanding of the "functions"; even though it's been sitting in the back of my mind for a while, it only put itself clearly together in my head as a question a moment ago.

Edit: Hold on, it just occurred to me that this topic might have already been discussed. I guess I'll search while you guys think about it.
    Intuition (unconscious) -- stuff like pattern recognition, making connections between things, inductive/inferential leaps, metaphor in general (I've actually defined it as metaphor before)

Thinking (conscious) -- deduction, ends with "true" or "false" -- takes information and checks for consistency (internal for Ti, external for Te)

MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by mlittrell View Post
    well said. T and F are decision makers whereas N and S are for taking in information, introversion and extroversion are then how those modes are directed and handled (T and F).
    If your first mode/function/whatever you call it, is Introverted, is the second one automatically Extroverted and vise versa?

I know this is basic stuff..
    yesiknowimamiserablegrouchnowgoawayovmeleor

It's Mizzz ST, thank you...

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Bella, I always refer to these charts. Look near the bottom of the page on this link: Cognitive Processes A little above that is a chart that tries to explain how each "function" works. Still leaves it a little cloudy to me, concerning which processes fall under which "function" use.

People say that we use the top two a lot, the 3rd and 4th sometimes, and bottom half hardly ever (it's our "Mr. Hyde", in a way).
    Last edited by Cimarron; 10-07-2008 at 11:33 PM. Reason: dominant funcs
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    ISTJ

Bella, I always refer to these charts. Look near the bottom of the page on this link: Cognitive Processes A little above that is a chart that tries to explain how each "function" works. Still leaves it a little cloudy to me, concerning which processes fall under which "function" use.

People say that we use the top two a lot, the 3rd and 4th sometimes, and bottom half hardly ever (it's our "Mr. Hyde", in a way).
    Okay, thank you. That was very helpful. I think I stared at it for ten minutes.

What is the difference between Intuition and Thinking? How can you distinguish when something is intuition, and not just thinking? I just realized this is a main road block in my understanding of the "functions"; even though it's been sitting in the back of my mind for a while, it only put itself clearly together in my head as a question a moment ago.

Edit: Hold on, it just occurred to me that this topic might have already been discussed. I guess I'll search while you guys think about it.
    I think of intuition as moving laterally with what you perceive and thinking as defining what you perceive.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENTP

Can someone here please define what a "team" is?

MBTI
    ISTJ

My humble definition: A group of people working together towards a goal, with each person having his own assignment.