User Tag List

First 123

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    One personality feature I've noticed that occurs in varying degrees is a need for group membership. The closest thing I know of in personality psychology would be the need for affiliation (N-affil), but need for affiliation is more of a need to connect. What I'm proposing is a need for group inclusion or membership ("N-memb").
    I'm not sure this can be classified as MBTT thing.
    I was taught many years ago that all human beings have 3 basic psychological needs:
    the need for security, self-worth and significance.
    Once you flesh those out, the need to belong is wrapped up in one of those words,
    so in actuality all humans have a need for group membership.

Why don't you do a poll and ask?
    However, you need to fully define the differences.

I think there's a lot of psychological reasons why a person would or would not feel a need to belong to a group which might have nothing to do with MBTT.
    For instance, children who grow up never having properly bonded to their caregiver as a baby can be antisocial.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    I'm not sure this can be classified as MBTT thing.
    I was taught many years ago that all human beings have 3 basic psychological needs:
    the need for security, self-worth and significance.
    Once you flesh those out, the need to belong is wrapped up in one of those words,
    so in actuality all humans have a need for group membership.
    I would tend to agree. Even people who rebell against society and want nothing to do with it tend to form there own groups of outsiders. For example: goths, hippies, punks, etc.

I don't think you need to be part of an official group to satisfy a sense of belonging. Close ties with family members, a circle of friends that hang out together or a close knit community could fullfill a sense of belonging.

Those who feel they don't fit in with society in general might have more of a need for a sense of belonging, but others respond by adopting a "loner who doesn't need anyone" mentality. But then I see lots of self proclaimed loners on internet groups, so I think that is filling a belonging need for them.

Ilah

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTJ

The Neuroticism facet of the Big Five immediately comes to mind. It's roughly defined by the stability of a person's mood and its related affect on his or her actions. The trait has been found to be independent from the other four factors of which the MBTI actually has parallels with, such as Intuitive to Openness or Accommodating to Feeling. With that said, someone with an unusually low Accommodation score or an unusually high Neuroticism score would probably come off as "unhealthy". Belief in the paranormal probably connects with the Intuitive-Sensing dimension and the aspect of Thinking vs. Feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilah View Post
    Another trait I think is important - creativity - seems to break that rule as well because "uncreative" seems negative and "creative" seems positive.
    The overwhelming majority of surveyed creative scientists and writers prefer the Intuitive Function. You seem to be speaking from the perspective of a creative person but there are people who value practical benefits over creativity. Those who believe that government art programs are waste of tax money immediately come to mind.
    Surgeons replace one of your neurons with a microchip that duplicates its input-output functions. You feel and behave exactly as before. Then they replace a second one, and a third one, and so on, until more and more of your brain becomes silicon. Since each microchip does exactly what the neuron did, your behavior and memory never change. Do you even notice the difference? Does it feel like dying? Is some other conscious entity moving in with you?
    -Steven Pinker on the Ship of Theseus Paradox

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Introverted/Extraverted Coolness.

If you're Ci, you think you're cool, and if you're Ce, everyone else does.