User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Default The problem with MBTI: no clear description of the cognitive functions

Here's the problem that I have with cognitive functions theory: there is no clear definition of these functions that we can all rely on. Most descriptions I have seen from people on forums, websites and blogs are blurred with examples that says something like "people using this function tend to (insert behavior)..". Sure, these examples are good to have when a clear description of how the functions WORK are given, but otherwise they are bothersome. There is no clear source to understand how these functions work at the root level. It's all very subjective, with most claiming that their understanding of the functions is the correct one. I think this is one of the main reasons why typing oneself can be so challenging. If we want to succeed in understanding this theory (and ultimately finding our true type), we must find an objective way of doing so. I don't think most people really know what they are talking about when describing the functions. We must find a clear definition of the mechanism of the functions that we can agree on, and I believe a key step to doing so would be going back to what Jung wrote...
    Likes highlander liked this post

Melodies from Mars
    MBTI
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Pretty much. Even more so with Socionics. At least MBTI is more about judgements/reactions to the world which can be somewhat measured, while Socionics is all about how you SEE the world, which makes it difficult since that's the equivalent of trying to see what color your eyes are without a mirror. Definitions are pretty confusing when they aren't objective or measurable.

The best way for me to type myself is to go by an educated guess rather than strict analysis of definitions, since definitions get me nowhere as there is no good definition to go by.

How does one measure one's use of group values compared to their need to organize their environment? They aren't even fucking related.

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    I'm Fe

MBTI is neither objective nor scientific so I don't think widespread accepted definitions are ever going to happen.
    MBTI: ESFJ
    Enneagram: 6w7 9w1 2w3 so/sx
    Temperament: Phlegmatic | Sanguine
    Astrology: Leo Sun | Aries Moon | Leo Rising
    Johari | Nohari

not a type description
    Likes Smilephantomhive, notmyapples, Hard liked this post

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Have you read Carl Jung, the person who created the thing mbti was based off of? It is the furthest thing from science, and maybe it's best to keep mbti out of science, and out of the mainstream.

My advice is use mbti to maybe help you (not totally define) describe yourself and maybe help with some differences. Just don't take it too seriously, and have fun with it.
    "Avoid getting too preoccupied thinking about what you’re going to do, to actually do it."
    — Rachel Wolchin

johari
    nohari
    Likes yama, Crystal Winter Dream liked this post

MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram
    471 sp/sx

I think you should devote all your free time to MBTI and eat, sleep, and shit functions until you have no clear concept of self.
    All the cool kids are doing it.
    dead·pan
    /ˈded,pan/
    adjective: deliberately impassive or expressionless.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Likes notmyapples, Forever, Terralynn liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Deadpan View Post
    I think you should devote all your free time to MBTI and eat, sleep, and shit functions until you have no clear concept of self. All the cool kids are doing it.
    What's your problem? It's comments like these that make me think 90% of the people here are trolls.

I would say there are problems rather than a single problem with MBTI, to be honest, like a lot of other ideas in psychology like it I think it all serves as a foil to the discussion, an on going discussion.

Its not perfect and I'm glad its not, while its easy to dismiss Jung as being unscientific, his theories keep re-emerging in some shape or form, consider the whole mandela effect which was popular online a few years ago, I think it was a few years ago, it gave rise to some pretty bad art house movies anyway but it was close to Jung's own representation of the psyche.
    It is a luxury to be understood - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities - Voltaire

A kind thought is the hope of the world - Anon

MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram
    471 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Wanonymous View Post
    What's your problem? It's comments like these that make me think 90% of the people here are trolls.
    It never ceases to amaze me that despite my username and my signature, people STILL take my posts seriously.

English is my second language after sarcasm.
    dead·pan
    /ˈded,pan/
    adjective: deliberately impassive or expressionless.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Likes Kas liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Smilephantomhive View Post
    Have you read Carl Jung, the person who created the thing mbti was based off of? It is the furthest thing from science, and maybe it's best to keep mbti out of science, and out of the mainstream. My advice is use mbti to maybe help you (not totally define) describe yourself and maybe help with some differences. Just don't take it too seriously, and have fun with it.
    No, I haven't read anything of Carl Jung. I've been told it's unscientific before so that's nothing new, but I'm not sure why people say that. Why is it unscientific?
    I can't really have fun with something that doesn't make too much sense..I can't do it. It has to explained clearly for me to have fun with it. It's sad, because the idea of cognitive function is something that I really think holds value and it helps explain behaviour and differences in personalities in a new way, but the theory is not good enough. It does have much potential, but it just needs to be clearer.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Wanonymous View Post
    No, I haven't read anything of Carl Jung. I've been told it's unscientific before so that's nothing new, but I'm not sure why people say that. Why is it unscientific?
    I can't really have fun with something that doesn't make too much sense..I can't do it. It has to explained clearly for me to have fun with it. It's sad, because the idea of cognitive function is something that I really think holds value and it helps explain behaviour and differences in personalities in a new way, but the theory is not good enough. It does have much potential, but it just needs to be clearer.
    It's not reliable which is the first test to see if it is accepted by the scientific community. You need to come up with your own understanding of the cog functions through your experience with others.
    "Avoid getting too preoccupied thinking about what you’re going to do, to actually do it."
    — Rachel Wolchin

johari
    nohari