• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What you don't know about Ne

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Are you an Ne dom or aux that has something to say about Ne that you feel many people may not fully know or understand about the function?

What aspects of Ne, as it applies to your life, do you think may go under the radar or are not often talked about in typical discussions around this extroverted intuitive function? Any difficulties perhaps? That may come with being an Ne dom or aux in how one navigates life or within their immediate social environments?

I have some thoughts of my own and will post in a bit, but this thread idea just came to mind and I thought of posting it before I forget :D

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Its not always fun and games.

Thats all I want to say for now. But yeah. Its way more than that and sometimes I think people forget that.

Anyways. For some reason Id prefer to talk about Ne with people one on one. So if anyone ever wants to PM me.

But I am glad you made this thread dreamer. Its cool

LucieCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I find that Ne is often overwhelming for both other people and myself. It hass been that way ever since I was a child. Looking back at my younger self, I was clearly an Ne don from a young age. I used to unintentionally scare off a lot of my peers with it.

I also only share the insight Ne gives me under certain circumstances- an academic or Work setting, among friends, with my parents, and in any situation where I feel the mood will not be completely adverse to it. Above all I have to be either comfortable or really really excited to the point where I just do not care about discomfort.
I would describe Ne as really what powers my brain. It keeps me motivated and positive. I can find possibility just about anywhere.

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
One point I can come up with now, though I know there are many others I've come across over time, is the basic quality of being so open ended/open minded with ideas, things, people, any facet of life, that I can't really be depended on by my friends or family members to call the shots and make decisions for the group. For big issues that's easy, the answer just comes to me, but it's for the more routine items of life like "where should we eat?", or, "What should we do?". I hate getting asked those sorts of questions when in a group because I can't ever make a decision, it all literally sounds ideal to me. So what I tend to do instead, is let the Judging doms take over and I just follow along for the ride :D I don't mind being the group entertainer for a short while, and I'll offer input on ideas using Te, but being the leader of the group...nah, we'd be better off just breaking off and doing our own thing at that point.

Oh! And within the same strand, this is also plainly obvious when mediating arguments (I've been given this lovely role by my friends growing up whenever the situation called for it) or talking politics. I have my own thoughts and opinions on things, but the problem is, I not only see and understand all sides of an argument, but I can see WHY someone has arrived to that conclusion, and seeing that context, of how and why people have come to their decisions, it can be hard for me to choose a side since no one is "right". Again, unless it's an obvious situation then ya, I can make the final decision. So, what ends up happening around friend arguments or political discussions, is that I will present a new way to consider the same argument, or maybe even the same exact way but in a different flavor, and then allow those involved come to their own decisions after hearing of these alternatives.

So I mean, it can certainly be beneficial for me since I'm rather open minded and non judgemental of people and situations by default, then allowing me to make more logical decisions in these times, my Fi feels like it gets muted temporarily as I don't want to push what I believe onto others but try to assess the situation from THEIR beliefs, but the drawback is, I much prefer someone else make the decision. Again, I CAN call the shots, but it's not my preference. I don't want to be held liable for shutting off my own Ne :D

I have many other points, but this one just came to mind so I thought I'd share.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
One point I can come up with now, though I know there are many others I've come across over time, is the basic quality of being so open ended/open minded with ideas, things, people, any facet of life, that I can't really be depended on by my friends or family members to call the shots and make decisions for the group. For big issues that's easy, the answer just comes to me, but it's for the more routine items of life like "where should we eat?", or, "What should we do?". I hate getting asked those sorts of questions when in a group because I can't ever make a decision, it all literally sounds ideal to me. So what I tend to do instead, is let the Judging doms take over and I just follow along for the ride :D I don't mind being the group entertainer for a short while, and I'll offer input on ideas using Te, but being the leader of the group...nah, we'd be better off just breaking off and doing our own thing at that point.

Oh! And within the same strand, this is also plainly obvious when mediating arguments (I've been given this lovely role by my friends growing up whenever the situation called for it) or talking politics. I have my own thoughts and opinions on things, but the problem is, I not only see and understand all sides of an argument, but I can see WHY someone has arrived to that conclusion, and seeing that context, of how and why people have come to their decisions, it can be hard for me to choose a side since no one is "right". Again, unless it's an obvious situation then ya, I can make the final decision. So, what ends up happening around friend arguments or political discussions, is that I will present a new way to consider the same argument, or maybe even the same exact way but in a different flavor, and then allow those involved come to their own decisions after hearing of these alternatives.

So I mean, it can certainly be beneficial for me since I'm rather open minded and non judgemental of people and situations by default, then allowing me to make more logical decisions in these times, my Fi feels like it gets muted temporarily as I don't want to push what I believe onto others but try to assess the situation from THEIR beliefs, but the drawback is, I much prefer someone else make the decision. Again, I CAN call the shots, but it's not my preference. I don't want to be held liable for shutting off my own Ne :D

I have many other points, but this one just came to mind so I thought I'd share.

Actually why me and my ENFP get together good, because i dont really care much either. Snce we both dont really care her deciding to do "her own thing" is no different then her saying.."hey lets go here". Basically who ever cares more wins and we pretty much just naming places until one of us goes "yes". Or we end up at closest place or cheapest place or whatever works best for situation. We rarely get stuck in the i dont know or i dont care much.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For INTPs

Ne is the ability to see/think or do something and being flooded with relatable information regarding the subject. Often quite randomly.

When seeing something, noticing what kinds of things it looks like, what it might represent, etc.
When thinking something. Going of on tangents, basicly. Many tangents. :D
When doing something, thinking about other ways of doing that something. Visualizing the process and its completion, (often to the point of feeling like not finishing it, because it's already done internally. :dry:)

Ti organizes the flood information by assigning internal value to the various pieces of information and allows me to do these things effeciently and effectively.

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
For INTPs

Ne is the ability to see/think or do something and being flooded with relatable information regarding the subject. Often quite randomly.

When seeing something, noticing what kinds of things it looks like, what it might represent, etc.
When thinking something. Going of on tangents, basicly. Many tangents. :D
When doing something, thinking about other ways of doing that something. Visualizing the process and its completion, (often to the point of feeling like not finishing it, because it's already done internally. :dry:)

Ti organizes the flood information by assigning internal value to the various pieces of information and allows me to do these things effeciently and effectively.

I feel like perhaps this in particular is a subtelty many may not know of Ne users. So, sure people may stereotype, and rightly so, that we tend not to finish things and may bounce around, but like you, a good part of the reason I don’t finish things isn’t because I’ve lost interest...well sometimes that’s true, but a good part of it is also because we’ll shoot, I’ve already envisioned the final result in my head, and in a way, I get essentially the same satisfaction from that mental completion as I would in the physical world, so really, why actually finish something? It’s really just redundant and wasting your time at that point. But yes, surely there are gains to be had in actually finishing SOME of my projects, but I have to be extremely motivated to do that.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
For INTPs

...i do that often ;o

giorgos.pyros

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm an INFP but as a teen, I use my Ne a lot :D

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Very minor rant, but I just roll my eyes and dot my Ts when people claim anything and everything that is socially "weird" is Ne. This is Ne humor, that is Ne thought, blah blah blah. I mean, not like social protocol is ever factored into the idea generation process so sure, you can come out the other end with some very weird results, but I don't know, to me, the results never seem all that weird :shrug: Like, I just throw back what you give me and work with what's around me, but I do throw in a bit of extra pizazz to it of course :D

notmyapples

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Very minor rant, but I just roll my eyes and dot my Ts when people claim anything and everything that is socially "weird" is Ne. This is Ne humor, that is Ne thought, blah blah blah. I mean, not like social protocol is ever factored into the idea generation process so sure, you can come out the other end with some very weird results, but I don't know, to me, the results never seem all that weird :shrug: Like, I just throw back what you give me and work with what's around me, but I do throw in a bit of extra pizazz to it of course :D

On the flip side, anything creative is Ne while anything symbolic is Ni. There's nothing more annoying than seeing obvious Se users being typed Ne because of well developed Se/Ni or Si users being typed as Ni because of well developed Si/Ne.

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
On the flip side, anything creative is Ne while anything symbolic is Ni. There's nothing more annoying than seeing obvious Se users being typed Ne because of well developed Se/Ni or Si users being typed as Ni because of well developed Si/Ne.

True we do at least have that in our bucket, the perceived creativity. It’s just, all the lame jokes that get tied to Ne often seems to dumb down the process to no more than a joke of a function when in reality, SO much more is involved. It’s honestly such a fun mental space to inhabit, sometimes I wish I could just transfer my excitement into other people haha.

notmyapples

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
True we do at least have that in our bucket, the perceived creativity. It’s just, all the lame jokes that get tied to Ne often seems to dumb down the process to no more than a joke of a function when in reality, SO much more is involved. It’s honestly such a fun mental space to inhabit, sometimes I wish I could just transfer my excitement into other people haha.

I think that a lot of the times, the Ne/Si process is what goes into most of the 'Ne' comedy. Ne comedy on it's own isn't a good representation because that's not all that goes into an Ne user's humor. For a vague example, Ne will go 'look at the candy bar, I love candy' and then Si will bounce that Ne to another spot of 'I saw a candy bar commercial on television last week' then Ne will go 'I wonder if that candy bar is as good as this candy bar' and so on... for eternity. The Si will create the association which is then expressed through Ne, the problem with Ne humor portrayed is that it cuts out the Si.

SigmaEnigma

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I notice that a lot of people tend to attribute Se traits to Ne. Personally I don't find Ne to be a very pleasure seeking function, more idea seeking. Therefore I assume a good number of ESxPs identify as ENxPs, skewing the definition a bit. This is especially noticeable among ENFPs.

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I notice that a lot of people tend to attribute Se traits to Ne. Personally I don't find Ne to be a very pleasure seeking function, more idea seeking. Therefore I assume a good number of ESxPs identify as ENxPs, skewing the definition a bit. This is especially noticeable among ENFPs.

I imagine the pleasure seeking, at least, removed from purely a hedonist standpoint, might be due to the aux Fi following the dom perceiving function. I see this sort of parallel in function dynamics between the EFPs, and my guess, why you don’t relate to it so much. I agree with you that I wouldn’t call it pleasure seeking, but there is pleasure attached to the process that I can identify, but it’s purely pleasure of a mental space. Sort of the excitement that comes from seeing where my mind may lead me to next in thought and imagination.

I imagine the ENP types might start off the races the same out the gate, but then where we start to diverge might be that when I go off into these tangential thoughts and imaginations, it is partly for the purpose of self discovery, through those imaginations.

SigmaEnigma

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I imagine the pleasure seeking, at least, removed from purely a hedonist standpoint, might be due to the aux Fi following the dom perceiving function. I see this sort of parallel in function dynamics between the EFPs, and my guess, why you don't relate to it so much. I agree with you that I wouldn't call it pleasure seeking, but there is pleasure attached to the process that I can identify, but it's purely pleasure of a mental space. Sort of the excitement that comes from seeing where my mind may lead me to next in thought and imagination. I imagine the ENP types might start off the races the same out the gate, but then where we start to diverge might be that when I go off into these tangential thoughts and imaginations, it is partly for the purpose of self discovery, through those imaginations.
In what way do you find Fi particularly pleasure seeking?

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
In what way do you find Fi particularly pleasure seeking?
For that self discovery, through experience. Se does this more through the real, while Ne may do this through the imagined. It isn't specifically that Fi is "pleasure seeking", but that it finds value from the many tangential thoughts I pursue or experiences and adventures I take and attaches meaning to it all, as it applies to me. Through this process I learn bits of myself that I didn't recognize before. From there, Ne then shoots that out again as I recognize what I've discovered, in others on a more general and broad perspective. The Ne and Fi constantly have this back and forth dialogue within me that is seamless.

SigmaEnigma

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For that self discovery, through experience. Se does this more through the real, while Ne may do this through the imagined. It isn't specifically that Fi is "pleasure seeking", but that it finds value from the many tangential thoughts I pursue or experiences and adventures I take and attaches meaning to it all, as it applies to me. Through this process I learn bits of myself that I didn't recognize before. From there, Ne then shoots that out again as I recognize what I've discovered, in others on a more general and broad perspective. The Ne and Fi constantly have this back and forth dialogue within me that is seamless.
Well in regards to the first 2 sentences, this applies to my main point. I find people applying more hedonistic (or real) behavior to ENFPs than would likely feel necessary for an Ne dom. The rest of this I can relate to a little bit, but I personally see it more as a discovery of interest than of self which to me is more unchanging, and more outwardly suited to fit the person im with. I still feel as though I use Fi over Fe however (although this makes little sense considering I have high Ti), considering i resonate a bit more towards its view of morals, and its lone wolf attitude over the pack mentality.

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Well in regards to the first 2 sentences, this applies to my main point. I find people applying more hedonistic (or real) behavior to ENFPs than would likely feel necessary for an Ne dom. The rest of this I can relate to a little bit, but I personally see it more as a discovery of interest than of self which to me is more unchanging, and more outwardly suited to fit the person im with. I still feel as though I use Fi over Fe however (although this makes little sense considering I have high Ti), considering i resonate a bit more towards its view of morals, and its lone wolf attitude over the pack mentality.

I can find myself more in a purely Ne space on occasion, but I feel more balanced when my Fi is more involved in the process. That Ne purity is absolutely amazing to feel, but I find when I reside there for too long, I can start to feel disconnected from myself. The Fi IME, helps to fine tune and direct the otherwise supernova of thought creation, with the Te then bringing to fruition those ideas.

Consider though, that I am also out of grad school and a working professional, but growing up and even into my early undergrad years, I was more unhinged and freewheeling so to speak, something more aligned to what may typically be associated to Ne doms. Where one is in life and their maturity will find that their functions may be expressed in slightly different ways than at other points in their life.

SigmaEnigma

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can find myself more in a purely Ne space on occasion, but I feel more balanced when my Fi is more involved in the process. That Ne purity is absolutely amazing to feel, but I find when I reside there for too long, I can start to feel disconnected from myself. The Fi IME, helps to fine tune and direct the otherwise supernova of thought creation, with the Te then bringing to fruition those ideas.

Consider though, that I am also out of grad school and a working professional, but growing up and even into my early undergrad years, I was more unhinged and freewheeling so to speak, something more aligned to what may typically be associated to Ne doms. Where one is in life and their maturity will find that their functions may be expressed in slightly different ways than at other points in their life.

Most of what you wrote here seems alien to me. When I'm using what I think is Fi, there's no real concern of disconnection from self in any way or necessarily bringing fruition to my ideas, more a feeling of annoyance or alienation due to the fact that others around me aren't following the principles that I follow and doing things the way that I see behaviorally, or occasionally morally right. As for the second part, sure a function can change over a lifetime, but I've never quite experienced Ne in a hedonistic way, it's much more involved with thoughts and hardly ever with physical actions. This seems to contradict the opinion of most leading me to distrust what they are saying.