• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI and drug use.

Do you, or have you at one time, regularly used a recreational drug?

• I - Yes

Votes: 51 33.8%
  • E - Yes

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • N - Yes

Votes: 62 41.1%
  • S - Yes

Votes: 11 7.3%
  • T - Yes

Votes: 42 27.8%
  • F - Yes

Votes: 28 18.5%
  • P - Yes

Votes: 52 34.4%
  • J - Yes

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • I - No

Votes: 63 41.7%
  • E - No

Votes: 13 8.6%
  • N - No

Votes: 67 44.4%
  • S - No

Votes: 12 7.9%
  • T - No

Votes: 37 24.5%
  • F - No

Votes: 43 28.5%
  • P - No

Votes: 49 32.5%
  • J - No

Votes: 30 19.9%

• Total voters

Yazoo

MBTI Type
ENTP
I tried mushrooms two years ago and had a life altering experience. For the first time in my life, I stared at the abyss for so long that it stared back at me. I triumphed over it by affirming my life as a creator of value. I would like to try them again in the near future.

This is what I'm driving at when I talk of experimentation (not regular use or dependency) with drugs - I see it as possibly expanding the boundaries of what I see as existence. I would probably try mushrooms and LSD if the opportunity arose.

When you stated that you had a life altering experience, but 'triumphed over it', was that a negative or positive experience?

Noel

MBTI Type
INFP
This is what I'm driving at when I talk of experimentation (not regular use or dependency) with drugs - I see it as possibly expanding the boundaries of what I see as existence. I would probably try mushrooms and LSD if the opportunity arose.

When you stated that you had a life altering experience, but 'triumphed over it', was that a negative or positive experience?

Very positive experience. People, I feel, can understand the notion of 'when you stare into the abyss long enough, it stares back' in a theoretical sense, like I have, but when physically confronted by it's mentally overwhelming. Initially it was terrifying to say the least; I felt sorrow as well as defeat. Yet I recalled values that I held as virtuous and worthy of creation upon the physical world - I strove for excellence and happiness; creating new values; sharpen my will to power. The abyss became not a necessary obstacle but ultimately a choice upon the individual: engage in fatalism or become an active nihilist. I strove for the latter and the abyss dissipated. Tying all that in with the most intellectually stimulating semester I've ever had in college (19th American literature/20th century American literature (The Beats)/Studies in Fiction: Gothic), it was a very insightful experience. I remember closing my eyes and sinking into the ground where I saw Walt Whitman for only a moment, smiling at me. Because of those two in conjunction, Nature's colours radiate a way I've never seen before in my life prior to that experience. So much beauty.

dyspraxion

MBTI Type
INtP
Enneagram
4w5
Leftover cough syrup for a couple months. The kind with codeine.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Chocolate. I didn't like the taste of alcohol, coffee or sigarettes. Didn't dare to do drugs as I know I'm easily addicted to stuff. It's all or nothing, I don't do moderate, so I stay away.

Yazoo

MBTI Type
ENTP
Very positive experience. People, I feel, can understand the notion of 'when you stare into the abyss long enough, it stares back' in a theoretical sense, like I have, but when physically confronted by it's mentally overwhelming. Initially it was terrifying to say the least; I felt sorrow as well as defeat. Yet I recalled values that I held as virtuous and worthy of creation upon the physical world - I strove for excellence and happiness; creating new values; sharpen my will to power. The abyss became not a necessary obstacle but ultimately a choice upon the individual: engage in fatalism or become an active nihilist. I strove for the latter and the abyss dissipated. Tying all that in with the most intellectually stimulating semester I've ever had in college (19th American literature/20th century American literature (The Beats)/Studies in Fiction: Gothic), it was a very insightful experience. I remember closing my eyes and sinking into the ground where I saw Walt Whitman for only a moment, smiling at me. Because of those two in conjunction, Nature's colours radiate a way I've never seen before in my life prior to that experience. So much beauty.

Wow. That is a great evocation, Noel. Thanks for sharing.

The influence of substances in great literature and music is profound and so it is unsurprising that it kind of occurs in reverse: substance experience can evoke art and heightens the sensory understanding of it. Of course, there are negative connotations to such experiences, but I do think that this process has been under-explored (in the realms of science and psychology) somewhat, due to the sensationalism in the media attached to any discussion of the subject.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

i can relate to this experience entirely...and although i would never advocate drug use for anybody ever...you have to really know what it is and where it's coming from...and rather or not you could handle it...whatever it is.

but...a long time ago...i've had my share of this sort of life altering experience...that feeling that you have at sunrise when in this state of mind is like no other...and it stays with you always.

brazil

MBTI Type
??TP
is it scary that i checked six different boxes as 'yes' when i responded to that?

brazil

MBTI Type
??TP
i just looked at all the responses... and so far at least, the i/n/p people have overwhelmed everyone else on both the 'yes' and 'no' responses.

but maybe that just says more about those who visit this site more than anything else...

...not that there's anything bad about that.

nhx

I drink, off and on.

I used to be heavily addicted to ephedra; breaking my addiction was in a lot of ways worse than breaking my nicotine addiction.

I smoked a bit of weed and did LSD infrequently throughout high school; I wouldn't be opposed to doing either again (though I'd prefer shrooms over LSD) if the opportunity presented itself. I'd like to see how the experience would differ from my teenage "party" mindset to my current... more self-exploratory mindset.

*NTP - DMT (Dimethyltryptamine) would probably be at the top of the list for "most appealing". DMT is by far the most dissociative hallucinogen. It's the only drug that can completely take you out of reality.

I'd try that. :D

I'd like to get some of that before they baninate it...

DsTeP

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Alcohol, cigarettes weed-9
Shrooms, LSD, Meth, Heroine and Cocaine: 12- 18
I went sober at the age of 18 except for Alcohol and Cigarettes
I drink occasionally and am on my way to stop smoking

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I'm a pale boring puddle of water; alcohol, caffeine and one accidental space cake.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm pale boring puddle of water; alcohol, caffeine and one accidental space cake.

Replace "space cake" with a puff of hemp inhaler that just left me sick + a few bad rounds of Robitussin DM and yeah, there, then.... that's me.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Replace "space cake" with a puff of hemp inhaler that just left me sick + a few bad rounds of Robitussin DM and yeah, there, then.... that's me.

I can't prove it, but I'm fairly sure that cake is what increased my anxiety and set me back a lot.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Nope. Only alcohol, and even then only occasionally. And I don't think I've ever been what most other people would classify as "intoxicated". Buzzed is probably more accurate.

I drink one cup of coffee a day, and when I don't, I get a headache. It's ridiculous.

I've never had a reason or desire to do drugs, though. I was given anesthesia when I had my wisdom teeth removed, and I did not like the way I felt afterward. I prefer to be in full command of my faculties.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've done a wide variety, didn't try anything but weed until I was 18 though.

MBTI wise, I think perceivers are more likely than judgers. extroverts might have easier access.

robowolf

MBTI Type
FREE
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Haven't tried anything yet, but I probably will someday. DMT and LSD are on my bucket list.

Based on stereotypes the reasons why different personality types would do drugs could be
SP: to have an exciting experience
NP: self discovery; to see things from a different perspective

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I'd be pretty surprised to find an ExxP who hadn't...

All of the ENFP's I know do, without exception. I know one ESTP that does, although more casually than the ENFP's who use daily.

It's been years and years since I smoked pot, even then it was minimal. I have an occasional drink now and that's it.