123 Last

MBTI
    eNfJ
    Enneagram
    359 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Default ADVICE: Type and Communication Styles

So for my work, I am trying to frame messaging specifically for each type. My only reservations about this is that I don't want to fall into the trap of type-casting people and unintentionally dismissing them.

Take INTJs for example, if I am trying to get information across, I usually try to keep it to business without many personal anecdotes and limit my effusiveness in my written content. This has had mixed results: appreciating the directness but being wary of my lack of warmth.

Any advice/input?

EDIT: I was asked... not my idea.
    Likes geedoenfj liked this post

MBTI
    eNfJ
    Enneagram
    359 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

I have gone back and forth with my friend about the realistic pros and cons about developing such a system but I am unsure about the extent of validity and accuracy in MBTI to be able to write to each type's motivations/perspective.

MBTI
    STP

I actually learn each person instead of using type. If you know them enough to accurately type them you should know them enough to accurately respond to who they are. Even if you know the type, you wont know the exact details of the what to steer clear of.

I just say learn each person.
    Im out, its been fun
    Likes Metis, Dreamer, Z Buck McFate, Falcarius liked this post

MBTI
    eNfJ
    Enneagram
    359 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Poki View Post
    I actually learn each person instead of using type. If you know them enough to accurately type them you should know them enough to accurately respond to who they are. Even if you know the type, you wont know the exact details of the what to steer clear of.

I just say learn each person.
    I try to IRL, but how do you that on a large scale? I am supposed to even write type descriptions.

There's just so much variation between people, huh?

It's really hard for me to say things such as, "INTJs are..." That's why I reference people in my life all the time because of the inherent subjectivity I perceive in most typology systems (as opposed to trying to be self-involved).

MBTI
    eNfJ
    Enneagram
    359 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Maybe I should just go ahead and write the content and refine it later? A system is never going to fully fit everybody anyways.

I just hate the thought of leading people astray and writing potentially inaccurate characterizations.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    Just Ni

How about just be yourself and be confident in who you are? Don't be a jerk, but don't let people step on you. You can learn some things about people, but really at least how I see it, conversation is just a discourse of words. People are a lot more similar than you think. (Yes everyone's different, but people share a lot of things)

Don't worry about it. I say abandon the system. I am afraid using mbti for implementation than just understanding others leads to frustration and maybe even a loss of appreciation of what reality is.

If you're not satisfying a random stranger, just move on. Life isn't ever that clean. I used to think a systematized format would help from mbti but ironically if you try to do that to a person who is mistyped (no matter how much they believe they're x type), it'll just fall to pieces.
    F O R E V E R

When it matters, everyone's the same.

Likes FutureInProgress, Littleclaypot liked this post

SpaceCadetGoldStarBrigade Population: 1's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

So this is for work? Are you addressing people as a supervisor/manager?

People are usually at least a bit different when in work mode and some are practically a separate person until they're off the clock. I'd personally treat everyone fairly and professionally when communicating with them in an official capacity and adjust accordingly when dealing with individuals in a one on one face to face situation. Trying to adjust styles to individuals may work well with small groups but may prove too difficult with numerous coworkers.
    To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity. Douglas Adams

As per orders of the No likes experiment I am not liking posts for the duration.
    Likes FutureInProgress, Dreamer liked this post

MBTI
    eNfJ
    Enneagram
    359 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Forever View Post
    How about just be yourself and be confident in who you are? Don't be a jerk, but don't let people step on you. You can learn some things about people, but really at least how I see it, conversation is just a discourse of words. People are a lot more similar than you think. (Yes everyone's different, but people share a lot of things)

Don't worry about it. I say abandon the system. I am afraid using mbti for implementation than just understanding others leads to frustration and maybe even a loss of appreciation of what reality is.
    True, but my friend seems convinced that we can write specific content to help motivate people based on type. That's the crux of the issue. And that's what he asked me to do.

However, I have always been hesitant. I am a very talented writer and can inspire people when I want to but I am conflicted.

The real question is, is it realistically possible to write a system to motivate people or is there too much variation?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Well, as an introvert, I prefer people not try to have conversation with me when I'm doing work. They think it's nothing to talk to me for 1-5 minutes, but when 20 people do it, that adds up. I try not to upset people by telling them to go away, because they'll make drama for me and waste even more of time if I do that. What I'd like my coworkers to know is that I have a lot of work to do and that's what I want to do. They can ask "do you have a few minutes to chat?" and then, I'd be able to tell them no and that we can catch up later. That'd be nice.

Also, just because someone has an hour to waste before they clock out doesn't mean that they should come to my office and expect me to entertain them.

Most of the time, I appreciate emails rather than people coming to my office. If I don't respond fast, it is because I'm still thinking about what they sent to me.
    Likes FutureInProgress liked this post

MBTI
    eNfJ
    Enneagram
    359 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Population: 1 View Post
    So this is for work? Are you addressing people as a supervisor/manager?

People are usually at least a bit different when in work mode and some are practically a separate person until they're off the clock. I'd personally treat everyone fairly and professionally when communicating with them in an official capacity and adjust accordingly when dealing with individuals in a one on one face to face situation. Trying to adjust styles to individuals may work well with small groups but may prove too difficult with numerous coworkers.
    No. I am supposed to create guidelines to write motivational content to each type (for consumers) to broaden their perspective.