• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ADVICE: Type and Communication Styles

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So for my work, I am trying to frame messaging specifically for each type. My only reservations about this is that I don't want to fall into the trap of type-casting people and unintentionally dismissing them.

Take INTJs for example, if I am trying to get information across, I usually try to keep it to business without many personal anecdotes and limit my effusiveness in my written content. This has had mixed results: appreciating the directness but being wary of my lack of warmth.

Any advice/input?

EDIT: I was asked... not my idea.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have gone back and forth with my friend about the realistic pros and cons about developing such a system but I am unsure about the extent of validity and accuracy in MBTI to be able to write to each type's motivations/perspective.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I actually learn each person instead of using type. If you know them enough to accurately type them you should know them enough to accurately respond to who they are. Even if you know the type, you wont know the exact details of the what to steer clear of.

I just say learn each person.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I actually learn each person instead of using type. If you know them enough to accurately type them you should know them enough to accurately respond to who they are. Even if you know the type, you wont know the exact details of the what to steer clear of.

I just say learn each person.

I try to IRL, but how do you that on a large scale? I am supposed to even write type descriptions.

There's just so much variation between people, huh?

It's really hard for me to say things such as, "INTJs are..." That's why I reference people in my life all the time because of the inherent subjectivity I perceive in most typology systems (as opposed to trying to be self-involved).

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Maybe I should just go ahead and write the content and refine it later? A system is never going to fully fit everybody anyways.

I just hate the thought of leading people astray and writing potentially inaccurate characterizations.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
How about just be yourself and be confident in who you are? Don't be a jerk, but don't let people step on you. You can learn some things about people, but really at least how I see it, conversation is just a discourse of words. People are a lot more similar than you think. (Yes everyone's different, but people share a lot of things)

Don't worry about it. I say abandon the system. I am afraid using mbti for implementation than just understanding others leads to frustration and maybe even a loss of appreciation of what reality is.

If you're not satisfying a random stranger, just move on. Life isn't ever that clean. I used to think a systematized format would help from mbti but ironically if you try to do that to a person who is mistyped (no matter how much they believe they're x type), it'll just fall to pieces.

So this is for work? Are you addressing people as a supervisor/manager?

People are usually at least a bit different when in work mode and some are practically a separate person until they're off the clock. I'd personally treat everyone fairly and professionally when communicating with them in an official capacity and adjust accordingly when dealing with individuals in a one on one face to face situation. Trying to adjust styles to individuals may work well with small groups but may prove too difficult with numerous coworkers.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How about just be yourself and be confident in who you are? Don't be a jerk, but don't let people step on you. You can learn some things about people, but really at least how I see it, conversation is just a discourse of words. People are a lot more similar than you think. (Yes everyone's different, but people share a lot of things)

Don't worry about it. I say abandon the system. I am afraid using mbti for implementation than just understanding others leads to frustration and maybe even a loss of appreciation of what reality is.

True, but my friend seems convinced that we can write specific content to help motivate people based on type. That's the crux of the issue. And that's what he asked me to do.

However, I have always been hesitant. I am a very talented writer and can inspire people when I want to but I am conflicted.

The real question is, is it realistically possible to write a system to motivate people or is there too much variation?

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well, as an introvert, I prefer people not try to have conversation with me when I'm doing work. They think it's nothing to talk to me for 1-5 minutes, but when 20 people do it, that adds up. I try not to upset people by telling them to go away, because they'll make drama for me and waste even more of time if I do that. What I'd like my coworkers to know is that I have a lot of work to do and that's what I want to do. They can ask "do you have a few minutes to chat?" and then, I'd be able to tell them no and that we can catch up later. That'd be nice.

Also, just because someone has an hour to waste before they clock out doesn't mean that they should come to my office and expect me to entertain them.

Most of the time, I appreciate emails rather than people coming to my office. If I don't respond fast, it is because I'm still thinking about what they sent to me.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So this is for work? Are you addressing people as a supervisor/manager?

People are usually at least a bit different when in work mode and some are practically a separate person until they're off the clock. I'd personally treat everyone fairly and professionally when communicating with them in an official capacity and adjust accordingly when dealing with individuals in a one on one face to face situation. Trying to adjust styles to individuals may work well with small groups but may prove too difficult with numerous coworkers.
No. I am supposed to create guidelines to write motivational content to each type (for consumers) to broaden their perspective.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
True, but my friend seems convinced that we can write specific content to help motivate people based on type. That's the crux of the issue. And that's what he asked me to do.

However, I have always been hesitant. I am a very talented writer and can inspire people when I want to but I am conflicted.

The real question is, is it realistically possible to write a system to motivate people or is there too much variation?

Well it seems if I understand you correctly, you don't want to but you don't want to hurt his feelings so you're willing to play devil's advocate and see if it leads somewhere?

Oh in terms of motivation? Yes. But I don't believe you need to rely on mbti solely for that. Psychology or sociology classes may give you some insight.

But in terms of a universal system of communication in nicely 16 categories? No. Lol

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well it seems if I understand you correctly, you don't want to but you don't want to hurt his feelings so you're willing to play devil's advocate and see if it leads somewhere?

Oh in terms of motivation? Yes. But I don't believe you need to rely on mbti solely for that. Psychology or sociology classes may give you some insight.

But in terms of a universal system of communication in nicely 16 categories? No. Lol

You got that right, sir. He's been pushing me for over a year to do it using the Jungian archetypes and we have argued about it for probably 100 hours. I have stalled for the whole time so I am trying to see if it's really possible or not. And possibly to find other good resources.

EDIT: I have given him type-based advice regarding his business dealings and I am usually right... That's why he wants me to do it.

No. I am supposed to create guidelines to write motivational content to each type (for consumers) to broaden their perspective.

Ah so we're talking a psychological campaign to lure customers based on individual motivators. You have different personality types but there are usually universal techniques to pull in customers. Businesses have devoted years of research on how to do this. Have you ever seen how supermarkets are designed to maximize customer spending? Putting the essential products in centralized locations so that people wade through junk items and spend more money? The whole place is a manipulative web of advertising psychology designed to ensnare the masses and make them spend their notes and coins on fluff. Insidious.

Anyway, it should be easy enough to research advertising psyop techniques that prey upon basic tendencies in people regardless of MBTI type. Distasteful stuff but you know money makes the world blah blah blah.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You got that right, sir. He's been pushing me for over a year to do it using the Jungian archetypes and we have argued about it for probably 100 hours. I have stalled for the whole time so I am trying to see if it's really possible or not. And possibly to find other good resources.

If it's been that long, listen to yourself. If he cares so much about it... just tell him to find someone else or do it himself. I'd lose a lot of respect for the guy if he didn't agree to that because that might mean he doesn't see power in his ideas. But that's just me. :wink:

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ah so we're talking a psychological campaign to lure customers based on individual motivators. You have different personality types but there are usually universal techniques to pull in customers. Businesses have devoted years of research on how to do this. Have you ever seen how supermarkets are designed to maximize customer spending. Putting the essential products in centralized locations so that people wade through junk items and spend more money? The whole place is a manipulative web of advertising psychology designed to ensnare the masses and make them spend their notes and coins on fluff. Insidious.

Anyway, it should be easy enough to research advertising psyop techniques that prey upon basic tendencies in people regardless of MBTI type. Distasteful stuff but you know money makes the world blah blah blah.

Luckily, it's more positive than that... The focus is on "long-term positive behavioral change" but thanks for the leads regarding consumer psychology. :)

I still don't like to mold people despite good intentions though.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Luckily, it's more positive than that... The focus is on "long-term positive behavioral change" but thanks for the leads regarding consumer psychology. :)

Oh, I didn't understand. I thought this was to communicate within a work environment. Oops.

I left my rose tinted shades at home today. ;)

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If it's been that long, listen to yourself. If he cares so much about it... just tell him to find someone else or do it himself. I'd lose a lot of respect for the guy if he didn't agree to that because that might mean he doesn't see power in his ideas. But that's just me. :wink:

True. He does believe in his ideas, but I have a natural knack for getting all sorts of people to see a certain perspective that I have in mind.

I have given him type-based advice regarding his business dealings and I am usually right.... That's why he wants me to do it.

I have to now decide if I want to actually commit to it or move on.

Thanks for all your input!

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I try to IRL, but how do you that on a large scale? I am supposed to even write type descriptions.

There's just so much variation between people, huh?

It's really hard for me to say things such as, "INTJs are..." That's why I reference people in my life all the time because of the inherent subjectivity I perceive in most typology systems (as opposed to trying to be self-involved).

Shoot for half ass results..lol. intjs are into mental masturbation. Tickle their concept side...tickle...to hard and its like smashing their little peter in the door. Eyes cross and they cant see straight. Fondle, not man handle.