6 30.00%
123 Last

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Question Is the Fear of Insects Type-Related?

As children we may have thought that fear of insects was sex-related, because most of the little girls were afraid of bugs and those who weren't afraid of bugs were just strange. But then I found out that my friend Doug is extremely terrified of June bugs, and later in life he told me his MBTI type was INFP.

Could it be that the girls who aren't afraid of insects are Thinking types, and the boys who are afraid of insects are Feeling types?
    "If you try to build something that is idiot-proof, the universe will build a better idiot."
    I'm an extrovert trapped within an introverted soul.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I think it's not exclusively type related. But I wouldn't be surprised if there's a statistical corelation between F types and perhaps phobias altogether.
    Because rationalization is definitely one way to deal with it. Or the lack of rationalization a trigger / contributing factor.

There's also a strong corelation with the way mothers react to insects (or how anxious mothers are overall).

And ofcourse overall past experiences with insects.
    "I’m forever near a stereo saying, ‘What the fuck is this garbage?’ And the answer is always the Red Hot Chili Peppers" ~ Nick Cave
    Likes Mal12345 liked this post

Mastermind Fieldmarshal Sacrophagus's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNTJ

Quote Originally Posted by meowington View Post
    I think it's not exclusively type related. But I wouldn't be surprised if there's a statistical corelation between F types and perhaps phobias altogether.
    Maybe, maybe not. F types who are not afraid of animals or insects might be the harmonious archetype seeking that balanced symbiosis between all creatures, while T types might assess the situation as seeing that fear and worry are unjustified, unless there is enough evidence to take precautions.

It all depends on how you define "Phobic". Is it panic attack type of phobia or is it simply being cautious with bugs that are objectively dangerous (or you simply don't know if they are dangerous or not).

I would say more none phobic than phobic for myself. After all I am often the one that deals with those "nasty things".

Senior Member Crystal Winter Dream's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI Fe

I am Ne-Fi and I am not afraid of most bugs.

I am weirdly phobic of bees and a spider coming at me will frighten me.

besides that come at me bugs. I normally name them.
    my Johari: http://kevan.org/johari?view=jazzylarsen
    My Nohari: http://kevan.org/nohari?view=JazzyLarsen
    4w3, 5w6, 1w2 Sx/So ENFP
    You're damned if you do and damned if you don't, so you might as well be yourself.

I'm attempting the no likes experiment.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    584 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I walked through a spiderweb in route to my car the other morning while leaving for work. I didn't think much of it. As I was driving I felt something tickling my neck, I reached up and brushed my neck and a large spider fell onto the crotch of my pants. I just reached down and picked up the spider and held it until I reach the next stop light where I opened my door and tossed it out. If I were to be afraid of anything it would be unpredictable people; I have never found any suitable reason to fear animal life, invertebrate, or vertebrate.
    INTJ 5w4 sx/sp 584 ILI-Ni
    Likes Metis liked this post

other than cockroaches, bugs don't bother me too much. They're more of a nuisance, for instance I don't mind moths flying into my house except for the fact they usually want to fly around my face and bang into light bulbs and make a dinging noise. I like spiders and will try to rescue them when I find them in my house. I tolerate hornets and wasps.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE Ni

Not here for most bugs... except the good ones. Like honeybees, mason bees, ladybugs, daddy long legs, etc.

I do have a phobia of bugs though and squirm when I killl them.
    WHERE YOU STOP IS WHERE I BEGIN.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I'm not afraid of most bugs, but I do find stick insects to be aesthetically creepy.
    We will meet again in Etruria.

INTP
    INFp/IEI
    5w4 - 9w1 - 4w5 sp/sx
    MelPhleg

Johari | Nohari

SpaceCadetGoldStarBrigade Population: 1's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

I've found it usually stems back to some event that freaked someone out. Like Indiana Jones falling into a bunch of snakes as a young man. I had a friend who blew up a tree stump with a buddy when they were kids (used m-80's I think). He was showered in all manner of creepy crawlers and after that he geeks with bugs.

I don't mind bugs too much and assess the situation based on logic. Does it bite sting, level of aggression. Except for arachnids like spiders. I fucking hate spiders and will kill them with extreme prejudice when they're in my home. My home is my web bitches! Otherwise live and let live.
    To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity. Douglas Adams

As per orders of the No likes experiment I am not liking posts for the duration.