• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] Is the Fear of Insects Type-Related?

Name your dom or aux type/fear or non-fear of insects

• Fi - insectophobic

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Fi - non-insectophobic

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Ti - insectophobic

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Ti - non-insectophobic

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Fe - insectophobic

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Fe - non-insectophobic

• Te - insectophobic

• Te - non-insectophobic

Votes: 6 30.0%

• Total voters
With me, fear of spiders seemed to start with IIRC my mother's reactions to seeing them, likley in camping trips when I was around 6 or so, or the daddy longlegs (harvestmen) you would see when turning over a rock in the woods, or even in the backyard. But that's funny, as she used to scream at anything, like the common roaches in the house, though they didn't become a problem until I was older. But with the spiders and harvestmen, it's something about the way they move; the prominent legs, and also webs being icky.
So now, when I should be getting over this, I have this wife who's extremely afraid of spiders (can't even see a picture of a big one), and for even the wispy little ones in the house occasionally, I have to be alarmed by a scream which just shoots my adrenaline up and not knowing what I'm going to find when I go in there. (While my mother says she sees spiders in a garden, and seems to think nothing of them now).

So it seemed for me to be tied to some inferior Fe reaction, but it doesn't seem to correlate perfectly. I always think they're so little and we're so big, so the fear is irrational, but it seems to be very ingrained (and it would be similar for other very leggy insects, or weird ones like the sticks or leaf. And if anyone knows [MENTION=179]iwakar[/MENTION] on FB, you should see the weird thing she posted from her door post just this morning). I wondered if Trickster Se or ASD could be involved, but again, it doesn't seem to be type-stack specific, and no studies have been done on this.
I think you're right about the number of legs and movement. Daddy Longlegs don't phase me but I've seen a Wolf Spider almost as big as the palm of my hand, including legs. My friend slew it with a hammer. Which is good because when they start rivaling Tarantulas in size I start contemplating firearms and explosives to usher them into the realm of the dead.

IMG_2542.JPG

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
With me, fear of spiders seemed to start with IIRC my mother's reactions to seeing them, likley in camping trips when I was around 6 or so, or the daddy longlegs (harvestmen) you would see when turning over a rock in the woods, or even in the backyard. But that's funny, as she used to scream at anything, like the common roaches in the house, though they didn't become a problem until I was older. But with the spiders and harvestmen, it's something about the way they move; the prominent legs, and also webs being icky.
So now, when I should be getting over this, I have this wife who's extremely afraid of spiders (can't even see a picture of a big one), and for even the wispy little ones in the house occasionally, I have to be alarmed by a scream which just shoots my adrenaline up and not knowing what I'm going to find when I go in there. (While my mother says she sees spiders in a garden, and seems to think nothing of them now).

So it seemed for me to be tied to some inferior Fe reaction, but it doesn't seem to correlate perfectly. I always think they're so little and we're so big, so the fear is irrational, but it seems to be very ingrained (and it would be similar for other very leggy insects, or weird ones like the sticks or leaf. And if anyone knows [MENTION=179]iwakar[/MENTION] on FB, you should see the weird thing she posted from her door post just this morning). I wondered if Trickster Se or ASD could be involved, but again, it doesn't seem to be type-stack specific, and no studies have been done on this.

I'm not afraid of bugs in general, but I was creeped out by the size and foreign-ness of the bug I came home to on Friday night. I just gently relocated it with a stick.