User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ESTP

Default What's the difference between ESTP and ESFP

I'm an ESTP according to the MBTI tool. Whenever I see the description I sort of agree with it. However,According to MBTI The difference between T and F is that T makes decisions based on logic and analysis and F based on values.

I find that definition difficult to understand because I definitely use my values in my decision making, I do care about how people feel and how they would be affected, I get upset by negative feedback, and I value true harmony.
    ( based on this I'm an F)

However, I do like equality, I think people should be treated fairly ( in a T way), I analyse the data available for making a decision, I do my pro and cons list to make a decision, and it needs to feel right. ( I'm mostly a t, but the decision is based on feeling right)

I value competence and recognition for my output rather than my effort. ( I'm a T)

This is a sweeping generalisation, but I find F avoid confrontation or conflict like the plague hoping it will go away ( searching for superficial harmony), they sweep conflict under the carpet and pretend is not there, and they seem to think there are no rules just exceptions.

So my questions are how do you differentiate between learned behaviour and true type, when they are so close? How do you experience the difference between t and f? How is the decision making for an F different from a T?
    p.s. examples would be great I am an S.
    Help!!!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Well, looking at the cognitive processes (which are what the type code are really about; not just the letters themselves), the ESTP has tertiary extraverted Feeling, and that seems to match what you describe about considering others feelings, etc. Fe will not be as strong as for an FJ type (and it will actually be much higher than the ESFP, who actually prefers introverted Feeling). So you would prefer [introverted] Thinking (along with your lead, extraverted Sensing), and then the Feeling would come next, followed by [introverted] iNtuition.

Looking at it from the Interaction Styles model, both are extraverted, of course, but the EST is "role-directive" (more task oriented), while the ESF is role-informative (more people-oriented). With the ancient temperament names, an ESFP is a "pure Sanguine", while the ESTP is a "Choleric Sanguine". Similar in expressive behavior, but the ESTP is a bit more into goals. (because of the T preference).
    You had said it right; T makes decisions based on logic and analysis and F based on values; but we all actually use all of them; just that the logic will come first for you, values will come first for others.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

Enneagram
    1w2

Yes, I'll agree with Eric B and say that the feeling you describe sounds like Fe which is tertiary in ETPs. Our tertiary and inferior functions have just as much influence over our personality as the dominant and auxiliary. We just don't feel as comfortable using those functions. They usually feel like something you can't help but to do even if you don't want to.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

Banned
    MBTI
    type

The good news is, they're probably the two types most similar to one another. The bad news is, it can be hard to tell the difference.

I don't think they're the most similar 2 types. Really, I think the ESTP is much more alike the ENTJ. I don't find it so hard to tell the difference, in real life. It's harder on a forum though, cause you don't really get to know the person.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Interesting. I usually just use the MEAN/NICE litmus test for ESTP/ESFP.

MBTI
    ESTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Interesting. I usually just use the MEAN/NICE litmus test for ESTP/ESFP.
    The ESFP might look nice, but at a closer look, you'd find out that he's even meaner than the ESTP.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Looks are everything. *Top coat....Top hat...*

MBTI
    ENTP

I've never known an ESFP to be "nice". They're usually a simple and small-scale brand of mean. "OMG IM GONNA CHEAT ON MY BF CUZ BOYS R DUM LOL"
    I don't wanna!

Banned
    MBTI
    type

But they're so friendly about it that everyone's "OK, teehee."