• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Argumentative Style and Cognitive Functions?

MyMindNeedsSedation

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I was trying to type this guy, and I came across some arguments that he has written. His argumentative style seemed to match the type that I thought fits best. It got me thinking about functions and what kind of argument would be used.

Ni- focus on one viewpoint/confirmation bias
Ne- will mention alternative viewpoints
Se- social status/prestige (Harvard professors opinions are better than the mailman’s)
Si- expertise( Scientists know best about science. Pharmacists know best about medicine)

SJs care more about authority, but in an argument I think SJs give more weight to expertise than status. Of course, those lines are more than often blurred. For example, when a SJ parent argue with their child, I think it’s more about them believing they know best because they lived life longer (expertise) and not so much “because I said so” (status). Also in Socionics, SJs have high Se and SPs have high Si.

Fi/Te- will care more about personal anecdotes, individual examples, and outliers (“subjective” information, “objective” logic)
Fe/Ti- will care more about correlations, broad observations, and studies (“objective” information, “subjective”logic)

I use all of them besides social status, so I’m not trying to stereotype (even though I sorta did). Of course, good studies tend to equal high social status but my emphasis is always on data. It’s just an Ne thought I had. I think it will be fun to discuss.

á´…eparted

passages
I think the language here could use some refining because there is negative language used in some of these and not others, which does impart a "this is better than that" tone.

Nevertheless these seems to be a rough aproximation to what functions do overall and what things will generally be focused on and used. That said, individuals are complex, and education and experience is going to shift how a person operates within these. For me I am an ENFJ, but I am huge on expertise- I am a scientist so my experience has informed being this way.

Zeego

Mind Wanderer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Se- social status/prestige (Harvard professors opinions are better than the mailman’s)

I'd actually associate this more with Je (Te/Fe) than any of the perceiving functions.

Fi/Te- will care more about personal anecdotes, individual examples, and outliers (“subjective” information, “objective” logic)
Fe/Ti- will care more about correlations, broad observations, and studies (“objective” information, “subjective”logic)

I'd also associate the former with both of the F functions and the latter with both of the T functions.

In general I don't know if argumentative style would be indicative of type, but there may be some correlation. As a Ti/Fe type I would of course like a study. ;)