• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] 458 correlation with MBTI

Ashtart

Obliviously Mad
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
IMHO the most important type to consider by far in a tritype is the core type, because it's more dominant in the overall personality than the other two fixes. Most core 8s are Thinking types, but the core type in this tritype is e4, which is heavily correlated with Feeling, especially INFx. e5 correlates somewhat with Thinking and heavily with intuition, so overall to me it seems like a 4-5-8 would most likely be an INFx who is strongly N and borderline on F/T. I could also see a 4-5-8 being an INTJ with heavy tertiary Fi. I guess INtP could work too, but I think that is less likely than INTJ because Feeling is an INTP's inferior function and from what I've seen INTJ e4s, though rare, are more common than e4 INTPs.

Just my 2 cents -- this is just based on a mix of speculation and limited observations.

This.

I see both 4 and 5 as N-heavy, 5 a bit more than 4 though. Introverted as well. 458 have a 4 as main type, and 4 is strong about feelings, whereas 5 is more of a thinker, which balances things a little bit. That makes INxx. But 4 still being the core, it's goes a bit more to the feeling side, so INFx. Still, 458 is the most rational tritype of all the 4s, so it's not so much a surprise that some thinkers could relate to this tritype.

Something that may shed a light into this discussion: Enneagram Type 5 (5w4 & 5w6): Insights for INTP, INTJ, INFJ & INFP Types

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I know that it is unlikely that others will view me as 458 given my behavior on forum historically, but I have been doing a lot of reflection and a lot less reaching out lately, and I think that there is a fair chance that 458 is my actual tritype and that I have just been extremely unhealthy.

When I am at my best, I am sure of myself, independent, practical, helpful, assertive but respectful, warm, accepting, and able to socialize in an ambiverted sense. When I am unwell, I look more like a combination of unhealthy 2, 7, and 5 (you guys can't see the 5 as much in me because it's probably the most private aspect of my personality and I prefer not to expend energy in this department unless I decide it's worth it).

The other tritypes I have considered are 461, 469, 468, and 459. I find it rather hard to believe that I am triple reactive or triple withdrawn, so 468 and 459 seem highly unlikely. I also could never in a thousand years consider "self-discipline" something that comes naturally to me in terms of anger expression. That leaves 458 and 469. I have been testing very low on 6 and 9 lately and despite my best efforts to objectively analyze my deeper motivations, I struggle to fully connect to 6 or 9 at healthy states. I think a lot of my 6-ish behavior could easily be better described as a panicky 4, and it's also plausible that I relied more on my weaker 3-wing or even appeared 7-ish as my intellectual side disintegrated to 7 as a form of escapism. However, I haven't researched enough on tritype vs core and wing, nor have I looked up if it's even a theory that an entire tritype could disintegrate. Is this something only your core does? It is said that we travel all around the enneagram but that we will favor our core type, wing(s), and integration and disintegration points the most (so 4, 5, some 3, healthy 1, and unhealthy 2 for me).

In comparison to 6, which is a very common recommendation for core type for me, my profile would look more like 6, 5, some 7, healthy 9, and unhealthy 3. I think ultimately, I am healthiest when I can accept myself. For the life of me, I cannot see myself as a highly motivated, competitive, deceitful 3 when I am stressed. Rather, I become focused on gaining outside confirmation of my worth in a desperate attempt to seek approval, like an unhealthy 2, yet I simultaneously shut down in terms of physical energy. I am also probably far too self-revealing to be a core 6.

This has me leaning toward a full typing profile of something like 4w5, 5w6, 8w9.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
458 (called “The Scholar” Tri-type stacking 458/584/845, Do You Guys Exist or is it just me?!) is one of the tritypes I could identify with somewhat.
I used to try to make a definite correlation, but now I'm reading that Enneagram is “nurture” rather than “nature” (i.e. adaptive and not inborn), so what I'm thinking is that nature might push some MBTI types toward certain enneatypes, but then nurture comes and changes things. So they will still lean toward certain types, but always with variations from person to person, and it seems no matchup is impossible. (PersonalityHacker is doing a series of every enneagram variant of evers MBTI type. So it really is like a fifth letter of overall personality).

But they defininely don't match up to functions (as has often been attempted), when 4 for instance, which some associate with Fi, is also common for INFJ's. I had matched it up with the Behing the Scenes Interaction Style, and this would explain why it's common fo INTP's as well. Anything can apparently make a person reflective or searching for meaning, which is supposed to be the hallmark of the type. Fi, NF, INP, etc. will just be a bit more predisposed to those things.

Zeego

Mind Wanderer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
But they defininely don't match up to functions (as has often been attempted), when 4 for instance, which some associate with Fi, is also common for INFJ's. I had matched it up with the Behing the Scenes Interaction Style, and this would explain why it's common fo INTP's as well. Anything can apparently make a person reflective or searching for meaning, which is supposed to be the hallmark of the type. Fi, NF, INP, etc. will just be a bit more predisposed to those things.

Found this chart of proposed MBTI/Enneagram correlations online, thought you might find it interesting:

sxcVM1J.png

However I do agree that there is no 1-to-1 correlation.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
458 (called “The Scholar” Tri-type stacking 458/584/845, Do You Guys Exist or is it just me?!) is one of the tritypes I could identify with somewhat.
I used to try to make a definite correlation, but now I'm reading that Enneagram is “nurture” rather than “nature” (i.e. adaptive and not inborn), so what I'm thinking is that nature might push some MBTI types toward certain enneatypes, but then nurture comes and changes things. So they will still lean toward certain types, but always with variations from person to person, and it seems no matchup is impossible. (PersonalityHacker is doing a series of every enneagram variant of evers MBTI type. So it really is like a fifth letter of overall personality).

No the hallmark of the four is a fixation on the idea that they are lacking a personal significance as well as a passion for envy, aka to long for whatever it is they think they are missing inside. Searching for meaning is in no way exclusive to fours nor a good way to type someone. WHY someone is searching for meaning could be a clue.

There is overlap with enneagram and MBTI, but you have to look at it as ego fixations, because enneagram is not so much personality as distortion of it. Enneagram types are almost like ways Jungian types tend to look when unhealthy.

So four is associated with INFx because intuition looks for what could be but what isn't yet which causes a huge dissatisfaction with the present when distorted. Feeling is focused on valuation and when distorted focuses mostly on violations. The introvert is focused in their inner world.... easy to see how it pairs with the four ego fixation. Gratitude and equanimity are the "cures" for this fixation, and easy to see how that would help INFx types mature their preferred functions and integrate their inferior functions.

And tritripe is crap if you actually understand enneagram. A 458 is simply a 4w5 with the 5 wing integrating at 8.
I type as 451 or 458 sometimes...no shock that my core type and wing integrate at 1 and 8....
4s who identify with a 9 gut wing may be 4w3, showing connection to 9 via 3. Connection to 5 is always there because it's a wing, regardless of which wing is stronger.

Tritype or fix becomes useless when you see connections to all types are already in the enneagram symbol, which offers a superior way of understanding how you connect to each type as a part of integration or disintegration and what eases fixations vs which exacerbates them, etc.

Metis

I'm pretty certain that this girl in the video is INTP 4-5-8. She is quite unhealthy because she yells at everyone which shows her unhealthy type 8 side. When I usually think of the tri-type, I think of INTP.

mras and feminists arguing at u of t mra event - YouTube

LOL! She should address her opponents as "fartface" instead of "fuckface". It would lend her argument some charisma and nuance! :rofl1: As is, she doesn't seem very persuasive.

I have no idea what leads you to think she's INTP or 4-5-8. Why do you say that? :huh:

you have to look at it as ego fixations, because enneagram is not so much personality as distortion of it [...] tritripe is crap if you actually understand enneagram [...] Tritype or fix becomes useless when you see connections to all types are already in the enneagram symbol, which offers a superior way of understanding how you connect to each type as a part of integration or disintegration and what eases fixations vs which exacerbates them, etc.

Thanks, OrangeAppled, that puts it in a different perspective for me. So although there's some overlap with MBTI types, there's no actual correlation that would make a typing in enneagram a translation of a typing in MBTI. Someone could start out with a particular personality and then have it warped in ways that would depend partly on experience and partly on character, and the warp would be the enneagram type. Something like that, right?

Someone could be an ENTP and become a 3, a 7, an 8 (which seem to be the most popular for ENTP), but an ENTP could also potentially develop a 5 fixation, or another fixation, depending on circumstances and their reaction to them?

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Found this chart of proposed MBTI/Enneagram correlations online, thought you might find it interesting:

sxcVM1J.png

However I do agree that there is no 1-to-1 correlation.

I always liked this one:

myers_briggs_enneagram.jpg