User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Default Best Descriptions on the Web of Your MBTI Type

After reading thoughts on the subpar/misguided information thread re: MBTI type descriptions, it's time to collect the best of what's out there.

So,

Post your type, and a ranking of your favourite descriptions you've found on the web regarding your type. If you want to include poor descriptions and why these are poor (not just for you specifically but why the description doesn't fit your type properly) go ahead. Primarily, though, please post your best descriptions you've found.

Everyone research their own type really thoroughly, so we can get a great collection.

I'll add stuff after my class later.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    istp

ISTP - Introverted Thinking with Sensing

I know several other ISTPs will agree with that.

Good thread idea.
    No offense.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    isfp

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Post your type, and a ranking of your favourite descriptions you've found on the web regarding your type. If you want to include poor descriptions and why these are poor (not just for you specifically but why the description doesn't fit your type properly) go ahead. Primarily, though, please post your best descriptions you've found....
    The absolute best website I've found is Best-Fit Type : Exploring the Multiple Models of Personality Type. I think highly of both the website and the book that it's exerpted from ( Amazon.com: The 16 Personality Types, Descriptions for Self-Discovery: Linda V. Berens, Dario Nardi: Books ). The authors of this website interviewed numerous people of each type --types verified by professional type theorists, not just people who dabble in MBTI stuff-- and they were careful to use phrases from the interviewees themselves in the descriptions, so as not to unconsciously taint the descriptions with their own preferences. I've not only clarified my best type fit through this, but know of other people who have said that these definitions are the best they've ever seen. I could have written the ISFP type description myself, it sounds so much like me: ISFP. this site also has a wealth of information on temperament affects a host of real-life situations, as well as links to other related websites (by the same authors) wtih detailed information on temperament, cognitive processes, and interaction styles. In addition to all that, it offers a free temperament test that's not only easier to take for people who prefer Sensing (I think), but has the potential to produce much more accurate results for a lot of people, given the way the questions are worded. Careerstrength(TM) Step 1 On this test, I show a clear preference for the SP temperament, unlike the mixed and confusing results I get on most type tests that don't do a very good job of explaining the N-S difference, much less go into why certain cognitive processes relate to certain type patterns.

I also highly appreciate The Personality Page . Like bestfittype, this website also goes into detail about how each type's cognitive process preferences shape their overall pattern. I really respect how the author(s) have tried to steer away from bias by calling attention to the fact that all types have a natural intelligence and a wide range of behavioral traits. (many other sites assume a narrow set of behaviors for each type, which gets very annoying to read through if you don't fit their hypoethetical idea of what yoru type "ought" to be like.) I particularly like the page on personal growth, and felt it was useful enough for me to print out and keep handy by my books on type as a reminder to stop automatically turning to my favorite function to solve all my problems. Portrait of an ISFP
    ISFP Personal Growth

For anyone who wants good quality free information, I highly recommend both sites, and I haven't found anything else that even remotely compares to them. Some other sites aren't terrible, but they aren't very helpful either. Sometimes being unhelpful can be all it takes to contribute to bias and misinformation being touted as "fact". For example, the Keirsey website attempts to be positive-sounding overall, but fails in that it links some pretty extreme examles of contextual behaviro with certain types/temperaments so that it sounds as if the author is saying that everyone of that type does ___. I notice the negativity the strongest when I look at the way Keirsey's ISTJ and ESTJ descriptions make them sound like mindless, humorless automatons.

Sarah
    ISFP

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Nice, Sarah, but I already posted most of those. NER NER NER.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

Jeffster and Sarah have done a great job but you missed
    ISFP.pdf
    This is one of my favourites.

Senior Member TenebrousReflection's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

INFP

I'll have to re-read the above INFP links before I comment on them, but the following are the best ones I can think of to describe INFPs.

E. Buie -> INFP Profile

NF-Idyllic - 629-infps-you.html#post16519

Doh! and how could I have forgotton a link to the BW INFP description here. I might not agree with everything in it, but overall think its a very good read.
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...p-profile.html

Quick impressions of the above INFP links

linus.highpoint.edu/~bblatchl/infp.html
    Good find - Looks like a compilation page that was probably made by an actual INFP, lots of good information gathered and put in one page. I did not read it in its entirety, but a quick skim did not show anything I'd complain about for accuracy.

I've seen this one before, another one that compiles information from several sources. Reasonably good content - no complaints

Overall a fairly good page, but the Mother Teresa refernece in regard to INFPs disturbs me (I do NOT beleive she is a Fi dominant - the previous lifeexplorer link types her as an INFJ and another site (PersonalityDesk - Learning Center - ISFJ in Careers, Relationships, Leadership, Parenting) types her as ISFJ which is a lot more believable to me), and while I don't take issue with anythign else there, a claim like that makes me question the credibility of everythign else on the page.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by sarah View Post
    Yes, that's right. I generally prefer socionics descriptions, but if I have to choose an MBTI one, the website sarah posted is definitely the best. I just don't relate to some parts like:

I am my own worst critic. I want perfect achievement of myself, and sometimes I have a fear of suddenly waking up and being known as someone who doesnít really know anything.
    Anyway, if I really had to choose the best one, it would be this:

ENTj profile by Stratiyevskaya: revised version - The16types.info
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    isfp

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    Nice, Sarah, but I already posted most of those. NER NER NER.

I was contributing my vote for these two sites as being the best. NER NER NER back at ya.

Sarah
    ISFP