123 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1fx sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Default Using MBTI as an Excuse

Okay when have you uses your type as an excuse to continue on with your bad habits/not fixing your problems?

I will put an example for each dichotomy.

Remember that not all people of these types will use these exact excuses

I: May use introversion as an excuse not to network or participate in class discussions. I think some blame their failures on it being an extrovert's world, so may not try as hard to succeed.

E: They tend to think spending too much time introspecting, and mind down time a waste cause they always have to be doing something

N: It annoys me when Ns say I don't want to do menial work cause I want to think of my genius ideas. Like we get it you don't want to do chores. Reminds me of men trying to get out of work cause of their career despite the women having one too (if they are living together). Chores are a part of life, and you just have to deal with it in the most efficient way possible to make time for what you think is important. I wouldn't room with the majority of the Intuitives on tumblr for that reason cause I believe this is a form of manipulation.

S: This happens less on mbti sites, and more in real life, but some will use their "groundedness" as an excuse not to listen to people's "stupid theories" What a great friend (sarcasm).

T: I admit I have used this (before I knew of mbti), I thought feelings were stupid and unimportant, and using my logic as an excuse not to listen to other's feelings or dismissing them.

F: Not wanting to do homework because it is not part of their values.

P: Some P types don't even attempt at time management because of their type, and also find it easy to rationalize their procrastination, and delude themselves into thinking that nothing can help it.

J: They don't want to take a new opportunity because it's not on their schedule.
    "Avoid getting too preoccupied thinking about what you’re going to do, to actually do it."
    — Rachel Wolchin

johari
    nohari

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Not really. Honestly, if I don't want to listen to a theory, it's usually because it made by stupid people and therefore a waste of time, not because it's abstract and has no so-called "relevance". I also don't really have "stupid" (this is in inverted commas because intellect is subjective; one can be NT and to some extent ST and still be stupid) friends, so if I talk to someone regularly**, it's because I think they're decent folks, both emotionally and intellectually. Unless I have no choice. Then I'm SOL.

I can remember when I first discovered MBTI, I fit INTP really well, but at the same time it's not like I wasn't also really depressed, so what with how people acted like Ts were ~above~ the ~emo~ meant I never fitted in in the first place with T dichotomy folks, and I definitely never fitted in with the F folks. It's kinda nice when you tell people you're INTP and they go "me too!" but that's the end of it.

I did use the thinking I was NP thing as an excuse not to do shit tho. And also to indulge in having my head in the clouds and stuff like that. It was somewhat later in life that I realised that it is precisely the ability to do shit that's a skill in itself.

**AAAAAAAAaaaaa I should point out that I literally am really bad at responding to messages so if I'm not responding to something someone pinged me it's because I suck at using the platform and also I have a ton of shit to do. I'm not THAT judgey. I'm talking about stuff like "theories"*** that could be proven wrong easily if you rub two brain cells together, and those people usually aren't on my radar and I'm usually not on theirs.
    ***...Unproven hypothesis..................... *soft nitpicky grumbling*
    To write often means remembering what never existed - Clarice Lispector
    Likes Red Ribbon liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LIE? Fi

I don't think I have used my MBTI as an excuse for anything, I feel like I use my anxiety as an excuse more to not step out of my comfort zone.
    I mean it IS true trying new things make me anxious BUT it shouldn't prevent me entirely from trying new things.
    Likes Smilephantomhive liked this post

Enneagram
    614 sx/so

"I don't fit in because of my type."

"The world wasn't made for someone of my type."

"No one understands me because of my type."

Those are the most common type excuses I've heard. People need to have the security blanket of being able to blame their struggles on their type. The logic being if you don't fit in because of your type, it's because you're special. If you just don't fit in and don't have being special to blame, that would be soul crushing, wouldn't it?

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1fx sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by magpie View Post
    "I don't fit in because of my type."

"The world wasn't made for someone of my type."

"No one understands me because of my type."

Those are the most common type excuses I've heard. People need to have the security blanket of being able to blame their struggles on their type. The logic being if you don't fit in because of your type, it's because you're special. If you just don't fit in and don't have being special to blame, that would be soul crushing, wouldn't it?
    The last thing makes me realize that people who do this probably though something was wrong with them, and finding typology could reassure them that it's not they're problem.

I didn't always feel like I fit in, but I just ignored the feeling, pretended it didn't exist, so I didn't need mbti to reassure me of that. hmm I'm not sure how good either of those coping mechanisms are, they're not the worst. The special coping mechanism can get bad if you blame other people for your problems though.

Interesting insights.

Do you know of other ways those people could deal with not fitting in?
    "Avoid getting too preoccupied thinking about what you’re going to do, to actually do it."
    — Rachel Wolchin

johari
    nohari
    Likes magpie liked this post

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1fx sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by JazzyLarsen View Post
    I don't think I have used my MBTI as an excuse for anything, I feel like I use my anxiety as an excuse more to not step out of my comfort zone.
    I mean it IS true trying new things make me anxious BUT it shouldn't prevent me entirely from trying new things.
    I've definitively used that as an excuse, and it feels great the more I fall out of it, but it is a process.
    — Rachel Wolchin

johari
    nohari

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1fx sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by agentwashington View Post
    Not really. Honestly, if I don't want to listen to a theory, it's usually because it made by stupid people and therefore a waste of time, not because it's abstract and has no so-called "relevance". I also don't really have "stupid" (this is in inverted commas because intellect is subjective; one can be NT and to some extent ST and still be stupid) friends, so if I talk to someone regularly**, it's because I think they're decent folks, both emotionally and intellectually. Unless I have no choice. Then I'm SOL.

I can remember when I first discovered MBTI, I fit INTP really well, but at the same time it's not like I wasn't also really depressed, so what with how people acted like Ts were ~above~ the ~emo~ meant I never fitted in in the first place with T dichotomy folks, and I definitely never fitted in with the F folks. It's kinda nice when you tell people you're INTP and they go "me too!" but that's the end of it.

I did use the thinking I was NP thing as an excuse not to do shit tho. And also to indulge in having my head in the clouds and stuff like that. It was somewhat later in life that I realised that it is precisely the ability to do shit that's a skill in itself.

**AAAAAAAAaaaaa I should point out that I literally am really bad at responding to messages so if I'm not responding to something someone pinged me it's because I suck at using the platform and also I have a ton of shit to do. I'm not THAT judgey. I'm talking about stuff like "theories"*** that could be proven wrong easily if you rub two brain cells together, and those people usually aren't on my radar and I'm usually not on theirs.
    ***...Unproven hypothesis..................... *soft nitpicky grumbling*
    lol you used an incorrect type as an excuse? sorry that's funny.

what but isn't LII similar to INTP? or are you INFP now???
    — Rachel Wolchin

johari
    nohari

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Smilephantomhive View Post
    lol you used an incorrect type as an excuse? sorry that's funny.

what but isn't LII similar to INTP? or are you INFP now???
    lol I've thought the same thing. Also, the OP post was so poorly written I'm not even sure what exactly they tried to say.
    5-4-8 tritrype; melancholic/choleric; chaotic good; a|O|TWDRG; RLOEI, limbic;
    idiosyncratic, vigilant - sensitive, serious; soul type: thinker; color code: red;
    Ni (100%)> Ne - Te (85%)> Fi (80%)> Ti (75%)> Fe (70%)> Se - Si (40%)

''I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal" - Groucho Marx

Enneagram
    614 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Smilephantomhive View Post
    The last thing makes me realize that people who do this probably though something was wrong with them, and finding typology could reassure them that it's not they're problem.

I didn't always feel like I fit in, but I just ignored the feeling, pretended it didn't exist, so I didn't need mbti to reassure me of that. hmm I'm not sure how good either of those coping mechanisms are, they're not the worst. The special coping mechanism can get bad if you blame other people for your problems though.

Interesting insights.

Do you know of other ways those people could deal with not fitting in?
    The biggest issue with people using the type excuse to deal with why they don't fit in is that it will continue to keep them from fitting in. It basically would cause a person to go from feeling inferior to others to feeling superior. There isn't anything wrong at all inherently with not fitting in. It is often extremely beneficial for development of original thoughts, ideals, inspires creativity, and that type of observer status allows for a particular type of insight into what is being observed that would be impossible to get from within the group. But the inferiority / superiority complexes are what make it detrimental to a person's own development, and often the feelings of superiority that develop are just there to mask the fact that the person still feels inherently inferior, unworthy, and overlooked.

If someone feels there is something wrong with them, it is their problem. That doesn't mean that people aren't legitimately ostracized for their personality or other factors about them. I don't believe those factors have to do with type. It goes far beyond and is much much more complex.

I think the only way to cope with not fitting in is to extend what you yourself want to others, keep your heart open, look for the good in individuals, and actively work to change the world so that it is a place where you'd feel more included, appreciated, and valued. The motive for that change can't be bitterness though. It has to be pure.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Using MBTI, or any other system, to justify a behavior doesn't make much logical sense. Also, it's quite childish.
    5-4-8 tritrype; melancholic/choleric; chaotic good; a|O|TWDRG; RLOEI, limbic;
    idiosyncratic, vigilant - sensitive, serious; soul type: thinker; color code: red;
    Ni (100%)> Ne - Te (85%)> Fi (80%)> Ti (75%)> Fe (70%)> Se - Si (40%)

''I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal" - Groucho Marx