• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Using MBTI as an Excuse

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Okay when have you uses your type as an excuse to continue on with your bad habits/not fixing your problems?

I will put an example for each dichotomy.

Remember that not all people of these types will use these exact excuses

I: May use introversion as an excuse not to network or participate in class discussions. I think some blame their failures on it being an extrovert's world, so may not try as hard to succeed.

E: They tend to think spending too much time introspecting, and mind down time a waste cause they always have to be doing something

N: It annoys me when Ns say I don't want to do menial work cause I want to think of my genius ideas. Like we get it you don't want to do chores. Reminds me of men trying to get out of work cause of their career despite the women having one too (if they are living together). Chores are a part of life, and you just have to deal with it in the most efficient way possible to make time for what you think is important. I wouldn't room with the majority of the Intuitives on tumblr for that reason cause I believe this is a form of manipulation.

S: This happens less on mbti sites, and more in real life, but some will use their "groundedness" as an excuse not to listen to people's "stupid theories" What a great friend (sarcasm).

T: I admit I have used this (before I knew of mbti), I thought feelings were stupid and unimportant, and using my logic as an excuse not to listen to other's feelings or dismissing them.

F: Not wanting to do homework because it is not part of their values.

P: Some P types don't even attempt at time management because of their type, and also find it easy to rationalize their procrastination, and delude themselves into thinking that nothing can help it.

J: They don't want to take a new opportunity because it's not on their schedule.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
Not really. Honestly, if I don't want to listen to a theory, it's usually because it made by stupid people and therefore a waste of time, not because it's abstract and has no so-called "relevance". I also don't really have "stupid" (this is in inverted commas because intellect is subjective; one can be NT and to some extent ST and still be stupid) friends, so if I talk to someone regularly**, it's because I think they're decent folks, both emotionally and intellectually. Unless I have no choice. Then I'm SOL.

I can remember when I first discovered MBTI, I fit INTP really well, but at the same time it's not like I wasn't also really depressed, so what with how people acted like Ts were ~above~ the ~emo~ meant I never fitted in in the first place with T dichotomy folks, and I definitely never fitted in with the F folks. It's kinda nice when you tell people you're INTP and they go "me too!" but that's the end of it.

I did use the thinking I was NP thing as an excuse not to do shit tho. And also to indulge in having my head in the clouds and stuff like that. It was somewhat later in life that I realised that it is precisely the ability to do shit that's a skill in itself.

**AAAAAAAAaaaaa I should point out that I literally am really bad at responding to messages so if I'm not responding to something someone pinged me it's because I suck at using the platform and also I have a ton of shit to do. I'm not THAT judgey. I'm talking about stuff like "theories"*** that could be proven wrong easily if you rub two brain cells together, and those people usually aren't on my radar and I'm usually not on theirs.
***...Unproven hypothesis..................... *soft nitpicky grumbling*

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't think I have used my MBTI as an excuse for anything, I feel like I use my anxiety as an excuse more to not step out of my comfort zone.
I mean it IS true trying new things make me anxious BUT it shouldn't prevent me entirely from trying new things.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
"I don't fit in because of my type."

"The world wasn't made for someone of my type."

"No one understands me because of my type."

Those are the most common type excuses I've heard. People need to have the security blanket of being able to blame their struggles on their type. The logic being if you don't fit in because of your type, it's because you're special. If you just don't fit in and don't have being special to blame, that would be soul crushing, wouldn't it?

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Those are the most common type excuses I've heard. People need to have the security blanket of being able to blame their struggles on their type. The logic being if you don't fit in because of your type, it's because you're special. If you just don't fit in and don't have being special to blame, that would be soul crushing, wouldn't it?

The last thing makes me realize that people who do this probably though something was wrong with them, and finding typology could reassure them that it's not they're problem.

I didn't always feel like I fit in, but I just ignored the feeling, pretended it didn't exist, so I didn't need mbti to reassure me of that. hmm I'm not sure how good either of those coping mechanisms are, they're not the worst. The special coping mechanism can get bad if you blame other people for your problems though.

Interesting insights.

Do you know of other ways those people could deal with not fitting in?

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't think I have used my MBTI as an excuse for anything, I feel like I use my anxiety as an excuse more to not step out of my comfort zone.
I mean it IS true trying new things make me anxious BUT it shouldn't prevent me entirely from trying new things.

I've definitively used that as an excuse, and it feels great the more I fall out of it, but it is a process.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Not really. Honestly, if I don't want to listen to a theory, it's usually because it made by stupid people and therefore a waste of time, not because it's abstract and has no so-called "relevance". I also don't really have "stupid" (this is in inverted commas because intellect is subjective; one can be NT and to some extent ST and still be stupid) friends, so if I talk to someone regularly**, it's because I think they're decent folks, both emotionally and intellectually. Unless I have no choice. Then I'm SOL.

I can remember when I first discovered MBTI, I fit INTP really well, but at the same time it's not like I wasn't also really depressed, so what with how people acted like Ts were ~above~ the ~emo~ meant I never fitted in in the first place with T dichotomy folks, and I definitely never fitted in with the F folks. It's kinda nice when you tell people you're INTP and they go "me too!" but that's the end of it.

I did use the thinking I was NP thing as an excuse not to do shit tho. And also to indulge in having my head in the clouds and stuff like that. It was somewhat later in life that I realised that it is precisely the ability to do shit that's a skill in itself.

**AAAAAAAAaaaaa I should point out that I literally am really bad at responding to messages so if I'm not responding to something someone pinged me it's because I suck at using the platform and also I have a ton of shit to do. I'm not THAT judgey. I'm talking about stuff like "theories"*** that could be proven wrong easily if you rub two brain cells together, and those people usually aren't on my radar and I'm usually not on theirs.
***...Unproven hypothesis..................... *soft nitpicky grumbling*

lol you used an incorrect type as an excuse? sorry that's funny.

what but isn't LII similar to INTP? or are you INFP now???

tchudak

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

lol I've thought the same thing. Also, the OP post was so poorly written I'm not even sure what exactly they tried to say.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The last thing makes me realize that people who do this probably though something was wrong with them, and finding typology could reassure them that it's not they're problem.

I didn't always feel like I fit in, but I just ignored the feeling, pretended it didn't exist, so I didn't need mbti to reassure me of that. hmm I'm not sure how good either of those coping mechanisms are, they're not the worst. The special coping mechanism can get bad if you blame other people for your problems though.

Interesting insights.

Do you know of other ways those people could deal with not fitting in?

The biggest issue with people using the type excuse to deal with why they don't fit in is that it will continue to keep them from fitting in. It basically would cause a person to go from feeling inferior to others to feeling superior. There isn't anything wrong at all inherently with not fitting in. It is often extremely beneficial for development of original thoughts, ideals, inspires creativity, and that type of observer status allows for a particular type of insight into what is being observed that would be impossible to get from within the group. But the inferiority / superiority complexes are what make it detrimental to a person's own development, and often the feelings of superiority that develop are just there to mask the fact that the person still feels inherently inferior, unworthy, and overlooked.

If someone feels there is something wrong with them, it is their problem. That doesn't mean that people aren't legitimately ostracized for their personality or other factors about them. I don't believe those factors have to do with type. It goes far beyond and is much much more complex.

I think the only way to cope with not fitting in is to extend what you yourself want to others, keep your heart open, look for the good in individuals, and actively work to change the world so that it is a place where you'd feel more included, appreciated, and valued. The motive for that change can't be bitterness though. It has to be pure.

tchudak

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Using MBTI, or any other system, to justify a behavior doesn't make much logical sense. Also, it's quite childish.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
The excuse that almost offends me is when Ps not only wallow in procrastination and complain about not getting anywhere in life, but do absolutely nothing about it. Worse yet, when it's worn as some badge of type pride. I mean, we Ps are pretty tight, but nahhh, not like that. :doh:

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Preach.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
One of the biggest excuses I have seen in typology sites is NTs using their typing to act a certain way, In particular a lot of INTJs use their INTJ typing to be edgy "lords" who are above everyone else, a lot of ENTPs use that typing to be trolls who have zero substance and so on. In general I find as a general rule of thumb if someone is fitting their type profile to the letter then they are to some extent acting out from that profile as most people are too nunicaned to fit a profile to the letter.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream

It's freaking hilarious. Coz I was like this head-in-the-clouds person back then.

But to be fair, I don't believe that personality stays static, and I don't fully buy into MBTI now except as something fun to chew on. So for all I know, I could've been INTP forreal back then because it was how I typed, how I identified, and even later when I learnt about functions, I still thought I was a Ti dom for some time.

Aaa about that ILll ahsjfhs thing I actually don't know what type I am in socionics and I don't really care; to some extent SLI fits me; to a large extent INTP and LII fits me. It's not due to a lack of self-awareness; it's due to the fact that we don't have an updated theory of MBTI - Nardi (is that the guy?) with his neuroscience comes closer to mapping out brain regions wrt "functions", but archetypal functioning has very little basis in neurology, because literally everyone senses and intuits. Man this got long.

Identifying as a type can to some extent (probably small but some) lead to self-fulfilling prophecy in terms of behaviour, too.

Now, I identify as ISTJ based on functions. Could change. Before I got into MBTI again, somewhere along the line, I had come to the realisation that past empirical evidence is the way to make judgements and decisions, and paying attention to them would be more beneficial to me, so I started doing that.

Red Ribbon

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm an ENTJ. All of you are beneath me. I hate people. I don't believe in being nice to others which is why I'm an insufferable jerk to everyone. I'm smarter than all of you. I need to dumb down my thoughts so that the average individual can understand me. Clearly, you understand how much I loathe human interaction. My life is made difficult by other people who can't remain objective enough and who are feelers because feelers are morally relativistic unlike thinkers who are all good. If only people weren't so stupid. Well, they won't be when I take over the world.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm an ENTJ. All of you are beneath me. I hate people. I don't believe in being nice to others which is why I'm an insufferable jerk to everyone. I'm smarter than all of you. I need to dumb down my thoughts so that the average individual can understand me. Clearly, you understand how much I loathe human interaction. My life is made difficult by other people who can't remain objective enough and who are feelers because feelers are morally relativistic unlike thinkers who are all good. If only people weren't so stupid. Well, they won't be when I take over the world.

Why do thesee narcissists exist? (I aware that you're joking).

Lady Lazarus

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There is a correct answer within the duplex and it is "to be".

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
sorry im an isfj so im too stupid to read your post

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
On the flipside, it gets exhausting when people automatically dismiss you because of your type...I have been trolled by so many NTs through the years that "my F automatically clouded my objective judgment of things" that I just started making excuses that my opinions were inherently inferior and less valid. But, in reality, MBTI is more about PREFERENCES than actual strengths.

I have seen some T's just sort of give up on the emotional realm because other people can be dismissive of its existence within the T.

I have learned that it's just different ways of processing information.