User Tag List

View Poll Results: What is the typical genius type?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • ENFP

0 0%
  • ENFJ

0 0%
  • ENTP

1 10.00%
  • ENTJ

0 0%
  • ESFP

0 0%
  • ESFJ

0 0%
  • ESTP

0 0%
  • ESTJ

0 0%
  • INFP

0 0%
  • INFJ

0 0%
  • INTP

4 40.00%
  • INTJ

3 30.00%
  • ISFP

1 10.00%
  • ISFJ

0 0%
  • ISTP

0 0%
  • ISTJ

1 10.00%

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    ???

Talking What do you think the Myers-Briggs of the typical genius is?

My vote is for INTJ.

Introvert, because I think of the quiet bookish type person when I think of a genius.

Intuitive, because that is like deep philosophical type people.

Thinking, because... well I think this one is fairly obvious.

Judging, this one was close. I think of the messy disorganized mad scientist, but I also envision all those academic people in schools who have matching pens for different subjects. Also the overly neurotic genius people that categorize everything and must have things a certain way. I also imagine geniuses to have a stick up their butt more so than being care free.
    Life is a journey
    Few words can speak great wonders
    And aren't soon forgot

Visit my Twitter and check out my pinned tweet:
    https://twitter.com/TheGodson14

NTPs.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

MBTI stats indicate that N is the largest MBTI-related contributor to standard, academic-related aspects of "intelligence" — and by a substantial margin — but introversion is a significant secondary contributor. There are lots of personality characteristics that more than one of the MBTI (and Big Five) dimensions have an influence on — and depending on what specific kind of intelligence somebody's focusing on, I think it's probably fair to say that three or four of the MBTI dimensions can potentially end up coming into play.

Tables 11.5 and 11.6 of the 1998 MBTI Manual show the results of two collections of studies, one involving tests of aptitude (IQ, SAT, ACT, etc.) and one involving grades or class standing. Each collection totals over 21,000 students. The Manual notes: "With only a few exceptions, IN types consistently obtained ranks, as predicted from theory, as the highest four types for both academic aptitude and grades. ... Perceiving types tended to rank higher on aptitude and Judging types on achievement."

Here are the types in rank order from Table 11.5 (16 aptitude samples):

INTP
    INFP
    INTJ
    INFJ
    ENTP
    ENFP
    ENTJ
    ENFJ

ISTP
    ISFP
    ISTJ
    ISFJ
    ESTP
    ESFP
    ESTJ
    ESFJ

And here are the types in rank order from Table 11.6 (15 samples involving grades or class standing):

INTJ
    INFJ
    INTP
    INFP
    ENTJ
    ENFJ
    ENTP
    ENFP

ISTJ
    ISFJ
    ISTP
    ISFP
    ESTJ
    ESFJ
    ESTP
    ESFP

Both the aptitude and grades tables are in perfect order from the standpoint of a dichotomy-centric explanation that says:

• For aptitude, the preference contributors (in order) are N, I, P and T.

• For grades, the preference contributors (in order) are N, I, J and T.

Here's a study of 5,700 gifted adolescents where the self-selection ratios for the types (i.e., the ratio of their percentage among the gifted population to their percentage of the general population) were as follows:

INTP 3.4
    INTJ 2.87
    INFP 2.68
    INFJ 2.67
    ENTP 2.32
    ENFP 2.03
    ENTJ 1.49
    ENFJ 1.26
    ISTJ 0.99
    ISTP 0.78
    ESTP 0.49
    ISFJ 0.40
    ISFP 0.40
    ESFP 0.28
    ESTJ 0.26
    ESFJ 0.24

The order isn't quite as tidy as for those two MBTI Manual tables (especially for the T/F and J/P dimensions), but with the exception of the ESTPs, all the other types are in perfect order in relation to primary-N, secondary-I contributions.

tl;dr: If you're looking for raw, aptitudinal Einsteinian potential, I'd say the smart money's on INTP.
    Likes TheGodson, thepink-cloakedninja liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    ???

Wow, nice post. Interesting how introversion/extroversion has a stronger correlation than feeling/thinking.
    Life is a journey
    Few words can speak great wonders
    And aren't soon forgot

Visit my Twitter and check out my pinned tweet:
    https://twitter.com/TheGodson14

Art Historian/Con Artist Neal Caffreynated's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sx

ENTP of course

MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

My guess is XNTJ. I think introverted and extroverted Intuitive thinkers have their own source of advantages and disadvantages. Te in my mind is by far the most Intelligent function, I truly believe this. Remaining objective in all or most circumstances is sexy and rare. As a Te user myself I don't use this function to the same capacity as NTJs however my understanding of Te is excellent.

I tend to believe that Te is the superior function between the two thinking functions. OK, don't hate me heh, this is just my own personal belief, no ruffled feathers k.

Ti is Intelligent in their own right bc I also happen to believe we can have an Independent subjective opinion that is logical and rational.

Marshmallow Heart thepink-cloakedninja's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    269 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by reckful View Post
    MBTI stats indicate that N is the largest MBTI-related contributor to standard, academic-related aspects of "intelligence" — and by a substantial margin — but introversion is a significant secondary contributor. There are lots of personality characteristics that more than one of the MBTI (and Big Five) dimensions have an influence on — and depending on what specific kind of intelligence somebody's focusing on, I think it's probably fair to say that three or four of the MBTI dimensions can potentially end up coming into play.

Tables 11.5 and 11.6 of the 1998 MBTI Manual show the results of two collections of studies, one involving tests of aptitude (IQ, SAT, ACT, etc.) and one involving grades or class standing. Each collection totals over 21,000 students. The Manual notes: "With only a few exceptions, IN types consistently obtained ranks, as predicted from theory, as the highest four types for both academic aptitude and grades. ... Perceiving types tended to rank higher on aptitude and Judging types on achievement."

Here are the types in rank order from Table 11.5 (16 aptitude samples):

INTP
    INFP
    INTJ
    INFJ
    ENTP
    ENFP
    ENTJ
    ENFJ

ISTP
    ISFP
    ISTJ
    ISFJ
    ESTP
    ESFP
    ESTJ
    ESFJ

And here are the types in rank order from Table 11.6 (15 samples involving grades or class standing):

INTJ
    INFJ
    INTP
    INFP
    ENTJ
    ENFJ
    ENTP
    ENFP

ISTJ
    ISFJ
    ISTP
    ISFP
    ESTJ
    ESFJ
    ESTP
    ESFP

Both the aptitude and grades tables are in perfect order from the standpoint of a dichotomy-centric explanation that says:

• For aptitude, the preference contributors (in order) are N, I, P and T.

• For grades, the preference contributors (in order) are N, I, J and T.

Here's a study of 5,700 gifted adolescents where the self-selection ratios for the types (i.e., the ratio of their percentage among the gifted population to their percentage of the general population) were as follows:

INTP 3.4
    INTJ 2.87
    INFP 2.68
    INFJ 2.67
    ENTP 2.32
    ENFP 2.03
    ENTJ 1.49
    ENFJ 1.26
    ISTJ 0.99
    ISTP 0.78
    ESTP 0.49
    ISFJ 0.40
    ISFP 0.40
    ESFP 0.28
    ESTJ 0.26
    ESFJ 0.24

The order isn't quite as tidy as for those two MBTI Manual tables (especially for the T/F and J/P dimensions), but with the exception of the ESTPs, all the other types are in perfect order in relation to primary-N, secondary-I contributions.

tl;dr: If you're looking for raw, aptitudinal Einsteinian potential, I'd say the smart money's on INTP.
    ^^^ Whatever this user's type is ...
    Skinny people are easier to kidnap
    Stay safe
    Eat cheesecake

Winter in Your Soul Crystal Winter Dream's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    174 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

I mean, an INTJ made that really big post you referenced above and I am totally gonna side with you on it.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by JazzyLarsen View Post
    I mean, an INTJ made that really big post you referenced above and I am totally gonna side with you on it.
    That's not genius, it's searching the literature - which I did appreciate.

I would put my money on INTP, for reasons already referenced. I suppose it all comes down to how one defines "genius". I can see different types having different sorts of genius: mathematical, artistic, mechanical, linguistic, etc.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...