• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

A Question About Feeling vs. Thinking

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
A common question on these tests is:
Do you base your goals on inspiration or logic?

Couldn't you be inspired to do something and have logic help you out?
In that sense, you are basing your goals on both inspiration and logic.

Or does a Thinking type naturally distrust any sort of inspiration and always starts his or her goals entirely on logic?

I think a Feeling type could answer this question saying that while he will often focus on 'what feels right' that he has enough sense and enough intelligence to know that he must do what is logical.

redacted

Blah, Thinking vs. Feeling is a false dichotomy. Everyone uses both all the time. They depend on each other.

Thinking vs. Feeling is a conscious preference, not a statement of use.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Which do you rely on? is one question, and valuable if your self-assessment is correct.

Those who prefer T will have specific reasons for decisions moreso than those who prefer F.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Right. I lean heavily on my F, to the point where even if something is logical, I can't understand it because I can't empathize/sympathize. I do make goals, and sometimes they are based on logic.. but inspiration is what makes me pull up logic. Like.. "OMG I want to learn to rock wall climb!" so I put together a logical plan to get me there. Inspiration was still favored in this case.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I dunno. I consider myself primarily 'inspired'...

But I use a lot of logic to decide what is and is not feasible. I can't really imagine what it would be like to start entirely with logic. It's more like a concurrent process that trims off the fat of anything I come up with.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
a good question to deal with T vs. F (besides the fact that everyone uses both like stated way above):

When you make decisions do you place yourself into the situation or decision (F) or do you stand back from the situation/decision (T)?

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Right. I lean heavily on my F, to the point where even if something is logical, I can't understand it because I can't empathize/sympathize. I do make goals, and sometimes they are based on logic.. but inspiration is what makes me pull up logic. Like.. "OMG I want to learn to rock wall climb!" so I put together a logical plan to get me there. Inspiration was still favored in this case.

That's interesting.

Also, you don't make decisions based on practical needs a lot. Nevermind what you NEED to do, you going to go for what you feel like to doing even if that means certain practicalities of life get ignored. Is that right?
I don't know if I'm saying it right or making the right assumption.