• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] Speech Patterns and Type - How Do They Relate?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
People speech patterns are unique to them, as are their personalities, but there are some commonalities that stand out and therefore make it possible to pinpoint their personality types.

The easiest speech pattern for me to identify with type is that of the Si function. For example, from an episode of "Deadliest Catch":

"Bottom line, I have to catch fish to provide for my family."

Yes, it's a reality show. But that doesn't mean it isn't real.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
People speech patterns are unique to them, as are their personalities, but there are some commonalities that stand out and therefore make it possible to pinpoint their personality types.

The easiest speech pattern for me to identify with type is that of the Si function. For example, from an episode of "Deadliest Catch":

"Bottom line, I have to catch fish to provide for my family."

Yes, it's a reality show. But that doesn't mean it isn't real.
How do you get Si from that?

Korvinagor

Cyber Strider
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
How do you get Si from that?

If anything, the quote could easily be extrapolated as Fe ("for my family") or even Fi ("I have to"). Hell, it could even be Te ("bottom line").

Although if that's the way in which speech patterns are being interpreted as types, that doesn't really constitute as 'patterns', does it?

kotoshinohaisha

Permabanned
MBTI Type
STFU
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so
Yeah probably. XD

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Zeego

Mind Wanderer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I might be INTP. Which is cool and all... I sound robotic enough, I assume. The thing is, though, there's a difference. I tend to be a bit more poetic in my speech... or so I've been told by a few people recently. Which is usually not INTP related whatsoever.

From the way I spoke when I first became a member here in fact, and from my typing based off vibes rather than too much solid reasoning, caused them to think I was INTJ. There's also the fact I tend to type in segments to organize my thoughts... like a list. Which has been compared with an INTJ.

So I question this. But I can give the benefit of the doubt ... for now

If you can elaborate. I insist.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Si dominant:

"Tom is going to leave me," she blurted as soon as he had left the room and I had finished taking down the details of age, address, profession, and family. But when we met at the fund-raiser, Tom said that Roberta was his "reason for being," hardly the remark of a man about to ditch his wife.
"What makes you think so?" I asked. "Has he said anything? Intimated in any way that he's—"
"Oh, no," she said quickly. "Nothing like that." She paused, gnawed at a nail, and looked at me shyly "I just know it."
"There's no objective event? It's an internal feeling?"
She shrugged. "You'd probably call it a fantasy, but it's so real, it haunts me. I can't sleep. It's all I think about."

Metis

Si dominant:

"Tom is going to leave me," she blurted as soon as he had left the room and I had finished taking down the details of age, address, profession, and family. But when we met at the fund-raiser, Tom said that Roberta was his "reason for being," hardly the remark of a man about to ditch his wife.
"What makes you think so?" I asked. "Has he said anything? Intimated in any way that he's—"
"Oh, no," she said quickly. "Nothing like that." She paused, gnawed at a nail, and looked at me shyly "I just know it."
"There's no objective event? It's an internal feeling?"
She shrugged. "You'd probably call it a fantasy, but it's so real, it haunts me. I can't sleep. It's all I think about."

:17425:

Did you write that? I could barely get past the first line. It's like reading a user manual or Janet Evanovich. You should write pulp bestsellers. $$$$$$ Si indeed.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:17425:

Did you write that? Si indeed. I could barely get past the first line. It's like reading a user manual or Janet Evanovich. You should write pulp bestsellers. $$$$$$

I didn't write it, I found it. I decided it was a better example than the first one I posted which was a more subtle example of Si. Those who disagreed that it was Si couldn't tell me what they thought it was, only that I was wrong or kept an "open mind."

Metis

I didn't write it, I found it. I decided it was a better example than the first one I posted which was a more subtle example of Si. Those who disagreed that it was Si couldn't tell me what they thought it was, only that I was wrong or kept an "open mind."

Ok.

I can see the first example leaning toward Si because the phrasing is S. I've heard Se people and Ti people talk in a similar way, though, and it could be caught from hearing a parent talk like that.

The second example, dude. I've seen an INFP make annoying lists like that (e.g. "So-and-so was of a very compassionate, delicate, beautiful, graceful, wonderful and sweet nature, and her beloved pet cats loved, worshipped, and adored her.") but the Si in your example came out and tried to put my mind to sleep in the first 5 or 6 words, like a pedantic teacher.

Let's move on. (PLEASE!)

Can you think of an Ni example?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ok.

I can see the first example leaning toward Si because the phrasing is S. I've heard Se people and Ti people talk in a similar way, though, and it could be caught from hearing a parent talk like that.

The second example, dude. I've seen an INFP make annoying lists like that (e.g. "So-and-so was of a very compassionate, delicate, beautiful, graceful, wonderful and sweet nature, and her beloved pet cats loved, worshipped, and adored her.") but the Si in your example came out and tried to put my mind to sleep in the first 5 or 6 words, like a pedantic teacher.

Let's move on. (PLEASE!)

Can you think of an Ni example?

"I saw that evil was impotent—that evil was the irrational, the blind, the anti-real—and that the only weapon of its triumph was the willingness of the good to serve it."

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I use correct English a lot more than most people. And my speech is relatively clear for someone who lives in (I may as well say it) Michigan. Also, I've been told that my speech has a light dash of British and Russian.

Personally, I like to think that my speech is immoral--not in the sense that I say bad words, because I don't, but in the sense that my speech has a certain almost evil quality to it. You know, the kind of speech that makes a priest a little uneasy, a little eager to get back to his Bible and holy water.

In closing, I hope that this post has shed some small amount of light upon how speech patterns are related to my type in particular.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I use correct English a lot more than most people. And my speech is relatively clear for someone who lives in (I may as well say it) Michigan. Also, I've been told that my speech has a light dash of British and Russian.

Personally, I like to think that my speech is immoral--not in the sense that I say bad words, because I don't, but in the sense that my speech has a certain almost evil quality to it. You know, the kind of speech that makes a priest a little uneasy, a little eager to get back to his Bible and holy water.

In closing, I hope that this post has shed some small amount of light upon how speech patterns are related to my type in particular.

I guess I would have to hear it to understand what you're talking about.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Mal12345 said:
I guess I would have to hear it to understand what you're talking about.
I can't do it out loud. Last time I did, people made fun of me.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I sound ... Not serious in person. I sound chill and almost always Sarcastic. Not much fluctuation in my voice. I am more likely to raise my voice than yell. I was told I sounded like an amused super villain overlooking the world once when I jokingly reading something making fun of it(I can be theatrical) ... Later a Narrator. Talk show host. Also Michael Keaton's Batman.

Whatever that means. Idk what they keep seeing in it. I'm not generally fond of it. Apparently it's got a calming effect though.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You know you're an INFJ if you use an app to make your eyes look freaky huge yet sensitive:

Also, at the 30 second mark there is some useful information about INFJ thinking.

Metis

I can't do it out loud. Last time I did, people made fun of me.

Oh, come on. You can't just say, "You know, the kind of speech that makes a priest a little uneasy," because (1) nope, I don't know, and (2) most of the priests I know prefer to speak immorally because they think it makes the lay folks comfortable. So just do it. We're with you on this. :nice: Do it!

I sound ... Not serious in person. I sound chill and almost always Sarcastic. Not much fluctuation in my voice. I am more likely to raise my voice than yell. I was told I sounded like an amused super villain overlooking the world once when I jokingly reading something making fun of it(I can be theatrical) ... Later a Narrator. Talk show host. Also Michael Keaton's Batman.

Whatever that means. Idk what they keep seeing in it. I'm not generally fond of it. Apparently it's got a calming effect though.

Reading your post in my head, the rhythm of each sentence sounds similar, like doo-doo-doo-doo, doo, doo, doo. Repeat... Maybe it sounds like that when you talk, and that's why it has a calming effect.

You know you're an INFJ if you use an app to make your eyes look freaky huge yet sensitive:

Whoa! Where's that holy water, Polaris? :eeep:

Nah, her eyes don't look huge. Just too serious. Like she's going to say, "Metis... Metis..." while patiently waiting for me to sit quietly, "Are we ready to have a serious conversation?"

Metis

Also, at the 30 second mark there is some useful information about INFJ thinking.

Whoa!!!!! The last thing she says is, "You own a spider catch-and-release tool"! I do! It's a tall, slim, clear glass single-flower vase. It works perfectly for catching spiders and shaking them out into the bushes.

adventureawaits

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think it can be type related to an extent.

I've noticed a commonality between myself and other high Ne types (so Ne doms and Ne aux) that we tend to bounce around from subject to subject when speaking. Ne doms tend to increase in volume as they get more excited speaking about an idea. I lived with a Te dom for a very long time and he was very succinct & efficient when he spoke - could easily get a clear point across in about 1000 less words than when I attempt it. My introverted friends seem to pause prior to expressing a thought/feeling. If I ask an INFJ friend a question, she will pause and then answer in a way that seems very organized and structured. She kind of speaks like a therapist - "how did that make you feel?" and when she presents her feelings, they almost seem logical. As opposed to when I express mine, which always seems like I'm vomiting words.

Metis

If I ask an INFJ friend a question, she will pause and then answer in a way that seems very organized and structured. She kind of speaks like a therapist - "how did that make you feel?" and when she presents her feelings, they almost seem logical. As opposed to when I express mine, which always seems like I'm vomiting words.

adventureawaits--The friend you're describing speaks like a therapist and sounds organized and structured, and so does the large-eyed woman in the video Mal12345 posted. What about this woman in the video posted below? She describes herself as an INFJ, and based on some things she has said about herself, it sounds like she actually is a counselor or some kind of therapist. Yet she's nowhere near as confident-seeming as the other woman, and she's missing a sort of brittle-seeming perfectionistic feel that the doe-eyed woman has. Instead, she seems kind of soft, nervous, genuine, kind, and highly self-conscious, what with the catch in her voice and the way her eyes keep shifting away:

She doesn't even seem like the same type to me as the doe-eyed woman.