• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] Cognitive function displacement

Purple INFJ

MBTI Type
INFJ
So this is something that I think could make for interesting discussion.

I understand that your Dominant function naturally displaces your 8th function to an unconscious realm in your psyche.

Similarly, your Auxiliary would displace your 7th function. Thus, accessing consciously either the 7th or 8th functions might be an awkward task. Even if it is possible to develop either of those functions, I believe the conscious use of them would be generally uncomfortable.

The 5th function, in my understanding, is somewhat displaced by the Inferior. While I think the 5th function can be accessed consciously, I believe we naturally have a focus on the Inferior that can make us prone to ignoring our 5th function.

As for our Tertiary and the 6th function, I think it's best to leave that open for discussion.

An interesting thing to mention here is that our brains seem to naturally need to limit conscious focus in order to organize information more effectively. By segregating data in the conscious realm from data in the unconscious realm, the brain might have an easier time making sense of data.

BTW, I think variations in learning style might also be in line with this apparent nature of the brain towards specialization.

(I don't know to what extent it has been proven scientifically that the human brain specializes and/or limits conscious focus)

Thoughts?

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I haven't heard this theory (unless you are talking socionics, of which I know only a little).

The JCF version is that we have our stack preference, but that we have a shadow, which is directly opposite. So, in my case

Fe // Fi
Ni // Ne
Se // Si
Ti // Te

The shadow of a ENFJ would be a INFP, more or less.

Anyway, my theory, which I posted around here somewhere, is that we really only have a type order, not 8 functions. FNST for a ENFJ, with F and N the strongest and T the weakest. The preference would be Fe, because that is how the ENFJ developed, but the ENFJ would have a very strong introverted Feeling in the shadow. The ENFJ Ti will never be strong, relative to Fe, but the shadow Fi would be strong if developed.

Likewise, a ESTJ would have a strong shadow Ti as the primary shadow function. The ESTJ Fi will always be problematic, but they could develop the shadow Ti much more easily than ever get strong at Fi.

The preference is just how we are wired to use the function. The entire dom function could be available at a strong level, if the person works on developing the shadow of the dom.

For myself, I spent a lot of time turning Fe inward, exploring my own feelings and emotions and trying to listen to myself like I do others. It was a very painful and difficult experience, over a long period of time, following a period of tremendous personal struggle. But doing so changed my life. I learned to access something different inside me, something that, while it still feels awkward and frustrating, I can use, much easier than I could ever do before.