User Tag List

First 614151617 Last

I will resurrect this.

Hello

Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post

Now you got me intrigued.

What makes you think that this is a P thing ?

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Now you got me intrigued.

What makes you think that this is a P thing ?
    The embrace of change and the unknown, focusing on the process of discovery and adventure simply for the sake of it. Extraverted Perception, in other words.

[edit] also, what tom cruise says at the beginning of this scene:

[youtube=NcTu8sbx1zg]Improvising[/youtube]
    Hello

It means I'm actively taking in data, in hopes of incorporation, until the very last second when a decision has to be made, and I welcome such open-ended perspective. It doesn't annoy or frustrate me; quite the opposite, it exhilarates me.

I thrive on chaos, it's like a dance to see what will win out, my reigning it in by jumping to the center of it, or the chaos taking everything apart through its whirlwind.

My plans, if I start with them, gains definition as I go along through it, it is not all laid out in detail from the beginning. Having a solid plan feels too constricting to me, like I'll "miss out" on something, not be aware, because I'm "sticking to the plan/pre-conceived notions". Like I'm not being fully open to all the possibilities. Narrowing my field of vision by starting off with blinders on, aka, THE PLAN. I.e., leaving myself open to the focusing effect.

If I don't start with a plan, it's because I want the environment, and all its variables of the moment, present, when I have to make the decision, i.e., guide me.

It helps that I can juggle quite a few things at once, so, not having closure in one thing doesn't hinder me from tackling another thing, and so on. It's like a fun balancing act, you never know when it will all crash to the floor, or if you'll make it to the other end, everything intact. Which is just a challenge in itself/a dare to myself. And, I can't pass those up.

Downside: to the extreme Js in my life, they tell me that it feels kind of like I play Russian Roulette with time. Every time. But, I've gotten better in that I'm quite considerate of others' comfort level, expectations, need for plans, that once I commit to something, and I have obligations to others, I'm good at keeping them. Or giving them opportunities, workable warning time, a say, if/when I feel that a change is more optimal than the originally laid out plans.

The best laid plans of mice and men, go oft awry. - R. Burns

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Why/how is J sucking life/joy out of Ps?

Ps often make this accusation so I ask.
    I haven't read most of this thread.

I like J's. I like the dependability. Maybe I even take advantage of it?
    They make the plans and I decide if I want to join in it. I have annoyed a few of my J friends because I've bailed out of plans or didn't commit until last minute. Or said I was on my way and never showed up. So I'd say I'm more likely to annoy them than the other way around. Thanks J people for putting up with all that.

To answer the OP.

I don't like committing to a plan ahead of time because I don't know what mood I'm going to be in when the time for that plan to come arrives.

Even if the plans are something I'd like to do and am enthusiastic to complete, they too easily become "obligations" to fulfill if not enacted quickly enough. I'd say 24 hours ahead of time is the most I like to commit too. Even then. The best way to get me to go out or do something is to give me virtually no notice.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

[youtube="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf5rIuJPTt0"]Spicoli[/youtube]

"P" run amok.

Rampant informalism ("Hey I know that dude"), lack of planning, pleasure seeking ("All I want are some tasty waves"), improvisation ("my old man has some tools....")

MBTI
    ENTP

For me, it boils down to this.

There are things that need to be done and things you like to do. The intersection of these two sets is not empty. So there are things that you have to do AND like to do.

But.

Usually, if you have to do something, it's not something you like to do. Perceivers have been Pavlov-trained in this. If it's something we have to do, we'll like it automatically a bit less. When I attended high school, I hated literature class because we (over)analyzed literature and characters. Now that I don't have to analyze literature to get points, I like it and do it whenever I read a book...

Another way of describing the Perceiving mind is this one. Suppose you've got to give a talk and prepared it well. But during the talk you get interrupted, get unexpected questions, ... and everything went wrong.
    Judger: I need to prepare better next time!
    Perceiver: Why prepare if everything goes wrong anyway?

We also like to improvise on the spot and are good at it. If improvising works, why lose time on preparation? Why prepare something if new information makes your preparation worthless? We're constantly on the look-out for new information and see the world changing fast. Decisions need to be taken at the last possible moment.

At the same time, I love deadlines. Not for the whooshing sound they make as they fly by, but really. I need them. If I don't get outside stress, I'd create everything at once and be frustrated because I didn't finish anything. If I just get a tiny bit of outside pressure (eg. my husband knows I want to finish writing Chapter X by Sunday) I get a lot more productive. Maybe that's a little bit of Judging in me, but why not? I don't want to compete for Miss Perceiving or anything...
    I think it's typical EP to need the outside stress to be productive. The J part (correct me if I'm wrong) of this picture is that I like it. I've only missed one out of ten-ish of those deadlines!
    Last edited by Tamske; 03-31-2010 at 12:47 AM.
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Maybe I have a bit of J in me, but I love making lists and planning. But I keep them vague, because I don't like to get into too much detail into how, where, and when it will get done. I think I automatically resent goals. And Js revolve their lives around goals. I have vague goals, but no real concrete things. It also keeps me from doing things if I can't execute them perfectly or live up to all the potential I know I have. So instead of doing things halfway I just dont do them.

it is true that Ps are utterly incapable of planning and lack ambition, and just plain stupid. We procrastinate, have fun and just plain lazy.

Furthermore, if you are a J, you are probably ultra-cunning and extremely intelligent, and know every move a P want to make.

Therefor it is inevitable that NTJs will take over the world, and turn Ps into their slaves.
    Maybe someone NTJ like napoleon will conquer the world and decide whats best for us.
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.