• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What cognitive function makes you skeptical?

kotoshinohaisha

Permabanned
MBTI Type
STFU
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so
I wonder. XD thanks.

Better yet, what mbti are skepticals?!

Like one would say something but she wouldn't easily believe it unless there's proof..

Eventhough there's proof she still might not be easily convinced.

PurpleDawn

I'd say dominant intuitives (ENTP, ENFP, INTJ, INFJ) are probably the most likely to be skeptical and distrust face value/not be easily convinced by something suspicious, although it depends on what you're skeptical of. I'd say the INxJ would be the most likely to try and predict the one truth. The ENxP would likely spend 5 hours theorizing and come up with 5,000 possible truths or reasons to not trust whatever it is they're skeptical of. All 4 tend to read between the lines and realize what is up rather quickly. Enneagram 6 would also likely make a person a skeptic.

My INTJ (6w5) brother and I (ENFP 4w3) are both very skeptical, as is my ENTP (7w6) friend.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ti needs proof more than any other function imo. Skepticism isn't the same as requiring a full battery of factual evidence that proves something.

PurpleDawn

Ti needs proof more than any other function imo. Skepticism isn't the same as requiring a full battery of factual evidence that proves something.

I'd agree, the intuitive doms are the most skeptical, whereas xxTPs need the most (Logical) proof.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Says the Ti PoLR

Jaguar

What may be proof to one may not be proof to another.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm usually very skeptical about Ni. A lot of what Ni doms like to say sounds like one huge conspiracy theory to me. Then if they don't feel like talking conspiracy they like to discuss sort metaphysical laws of existence and nonexistence and I like to keep my both feet on the ground rather than talk about what's unreal. The other thing about Ni is that a lot of what these people say as their supernatural "aha" moment seems totally obvious to me that I wouldn't even bother to really think of it. Like they come to me with this supreme idea and I'm usually like "yeah, I know...so what?" and that usually makes them cringe like I can't really appriciate their genius mind.

Another function that makes me skeptical and I actually have a huge issue with it IRL is Fe. I can't help myself but for me whatever Fe people it always seems fake, forced, unnatural... Even when I think they're being honest I usually find their actions to be too theatrical and usually unnecessary.

PurpleDawn

Another function that makes me skeptical and I actually have a huge issue with it IRL is Fe. I can't help myself but for me whatever Fe people it always seems fake, forced, unnatural... Even when I think they're being honest I usually find their actions to be too theatrical and usually unnecessary.

I completely agree, I'm always really bothered by people acting fake to fit social principles. Like I don't want to be mean to Fe doms but I'm rather skeptical of conforming socially, it seems rather scary and unnatural for me. Then again I'm an ENFP and a 4 so go figure :p

Taibreah

I really need to learn more about doms, so I can understand the comparisons more.

But, I am very skeptical of most things in life.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I'd agree, the intuitive doms are the most skeptical, whereas xxTPs need the most (Logical) proof.

By coming to this conclusion it may be safe to say ENTPs would be the greatest skeptics :D

thepink-cloakedninja

Marshmallow Heart
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It depends on what one is being skeptical about, and for what reason.

Most people are skeptical of anything that goes against preconceived notions. Additionally, someone who has had trust broken in the past, is more likely to be skeptical than someone who hasn't (and can take the skepticism to unhealthy levels). Personally, I think any cognitive function will be just as skeptical as the next, depending on the situation. For an example, I think Fi would be the most skeptical as to whether or not someone is being authentic, while Ti would be more skeptical towards arguments (stereotypically, of course).

A healthy form of skepticism as critical thinking probably isn't associated with MBTI but instead goes hand-in-hand with whether or not one practices comparing and contrasting arguments, familiarizes oneself with logical fallacies, uses active reading/listening, asks questions, participates in discussion and debate about new ideas, and keeps an open mind.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sometimes I've seen INTPs considered the most skeptical type, but I'm not sure this is accurate. Because they're information seekers, it's only after they've amassed a great deal of info and theory, enough to start finding inconsistencies and false parallels, that they start to appear more skeptical. I suppose it could be called an internalized or self-directed skepticism, since Ti is the "how does it work" function and they're constantly refining their internal understanding of ideas and things in an effort to construct the best framework or understanding.

I think the INTJs and ENTPs might edge them out as the ultimate skeptics. I've noticed STP and STJ types can also be extreme skeptics, needing more concrete data and evidence. At the same time, sometimes Te seems too deferential to "credentials" and therefore maybe a bit too trusting of the "authority" on any given subject, but maybe I'm just being typist.

I will tentatively give this to the Dominant intuitives with auxiliary thinking.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wonder. XD thanks.

Better yet, what mbti are skepticals?!

Like one would say something but she wouldn't easily believe it unless there's proof..

Eventhough there's proof she still might not be easily convinced.

Well it depends, sometimes I guess being stubborn can be mistaken for scepticism?

It would be an Intraverted function, or at least that is what I think [MENTION=6561]OrangeAppled[/MENTION] thinks. But in my opinion it would be a T or F function. Data, provided internally would be Si (irrational function). So ISxJ would have their own data, but if they were presented with new data (e.g. specifications), they can easily adapt. Because after all, they are a Pi-Dom, as in Pi then Je (Si Te). Where as the ESTJ will have to think about it for a few days when presented with new data, same as with opposite of the type, the INFP (when stressed). ESTJ -> Je Pi. That rational function (Je/Ji) first (or Dom) is what I think, that will block it. Rational function, in the Jungian sense, could be F too.

That's how I understand the MBTI.

But some things do bother me too, especially when I know something to be a way, and they tell me it can't happen, then I will set out to go and find out why it can't happen as in I need to go see it for myself. And then I'm determined to make it happen of the way I understand it. :shrug:

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
hmmmm I can make an argument for all functions in some way but this would also tie in with ennergram as well. I would guess Ti is the most skeptic like function as I think most skeptics of theories are Ti heavy people due to wanting it to make logical sense to them. I would also guess people with 5 or 6 are skeptical. Scratch that all head types even 7s are skeptics as a 7 i find I have to explore everything before i can commit to something.

Jaguar

Are you referring to the difference between facts and truths?

I'm referring to something broader - anything. Ever see someone in the forum post "That is proof you're <insert random MBTI type here>."?
Their "proof" could be that someone eats raisins instead of apricots but they don't reveal that. ;)

Taibreah

I view a lot of my greatest ideas as fantastical and would be amazing if that was something that could really happen. But, I always end up believing it is an unrealistic expectation and most likely won't happen, but hey, wouldn't that be so cool if it did type of mentality.

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Off topic : enneagram 6 is called skeptic loyalist.