• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is being talkative got something to do with extraversion/introversion?

kotoshinohaisha

Permabanned
MBTI Type
STFU
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so
Or this is just a cliché?!

Because this makes me rethink my type you know, I'm not really a talkative type of person. Yeah I'm really not. [emoji14] It's very effort to talk actually haha. XD i just prefer to listen i guess and just comment. The only time i can be talkative is when i am very interested and very excited about something. That's all. [emoji14]

Are there extroverts there who ain't talkative?!

Gypsy-Flux

I am 100% an introvert, but when I'm in a group that I'm comfortable with I can be very talkative and a jokester; an observer who doesn't know me might think I'm an ESP in those moments.

But around strangers or people I don't know well I am super mega quiet and reserved (stand-offish even, I guess). For the most part I'm more of a listener than a talker. I can relate with the idea that it's an effort to talk. It really is for me, often. :p

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For me, it depends. With people who are close, I like to talk a lot, or rather, I like to communicate well and often. People at work all claim that I am quiet though, I tend to communicate on a Te level, "I'm done.", "I need more information.", "This is the current project status." The job is kind of rife with e3s and various Fe stackings for which the common 'communication' style is bragging about accomplishments and sharing memes, I find that stuff pretty boring.

I have to say, some of the biggest talkers and worst communicators I personally have run into have been Introverts, there's just nothing worse than an ISTJ talking at you about his Jeep for the millionth time, or an INTJ who hasn't noticed that you don't care about DOTA and are continually trying to unsuccessfully change the subject.

kotoshinohaisha

Permabanned
MBTI Type
STFU
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so
I am 100% an introvert, but when I'm in a group that I'm comfortable with I can be very talkative and a jokester; an observer who doesn't know me might think I'm an ESP in those moments.

But around strangers or people I don't know well I am super mega quiet and reserved (stand-offish even, I guess). For the most part I'm more of a listener than a talker. I can relate with the idea that it's an effort to talk. It really is for me, often. :p
Oh i really think I'm an introvert i guess.. But when i compare myself to my introvert friends i feel very Extroverted. XD

I think I'm an ambivert. Ambiversion deserves to exist

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
depends on the situation. introverts get talkative when they can talk about themselves

kotoshinohaisha

Permabanned
MBTI Type
STFU
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so
For me, it depends. With people who are close, I like to talk a lot, or rather, I like to communicate well and often. People at work all claim that I am quiet though, I tend to communicate on a Te level, "I'm done.", "I need more information.", "This is the current project status." The job is kind of rife with e3s and various Fe stackings for which the common 'communication' style is bragging about accomplishments and sharing memes, I find that stuff pretty boring.

I have to say, some of the biggest talkers and worst communicators I personally have run into have been Introverts, there's just nothing worse than an ISTJ talking at you about his Jeep for the millionth time, or an INTJ who hasn't noticed that you don't care about DOTA and are continually trying to unsuccessfully change the subject.
Hahahahah geez yeah that's right!! I knoe an INFP guy who is very inclined with politics!! He doesn't stop forever.. Like he's very talkative about it hahaha. It's so boring for me because i don't like politics really. I'm aware but i just don't give a fuck about something you cannot do anything about.
And then an INTp, hahahaha! He used to share and talk alot of things too like he just talk and i was like saying "uhuh" pretendedly xD then the worse case is, he'll gonna ask a question, i wonder what to answer, I'll ask him to repeat everything what he said hahaha. And he'll get really frustrated at me. XD and I'll make fun of him. Hahahaha.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Depends. I can be very talkative if it's a topic I like or know a lot about. On the other hand, I can speak very little to not at all at other times.

There are extroverts who are shy, but get their energy from being around other people. There are also plenty of talkative introverts, but need time alone every so often to recharge. The extrovert/introvert dichotomy doesn't necessarily correlate with chattiness. As an introvert, I do fit the silent stereotype, but that is just me.

GavinElster

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The definition of extroversion used by Jung and the one used by, say, the standard modern psychology sources like Big 5 (to which the MBTI test correlates even more than Jung), are not quite the same. Being talkative is a solid part of the latter. The most important part of the former is the internal/external dichotomy (mind vs external).

That's one dimension of this issue. The other dimension of this issue is that even if talkative is an aspect of extraversion in some versions of E/I, there's the factor that it isn't the only aspect of it.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Once I get comfortable around a group of people and I feel as if we all vibe pretty well together, I can get very chatty and like to make jokes and have fun.

However, despite all that, afterwards I feel better have scratched that social itch and it feels so good to be quiet and alone to attend to my thoughts.

Carmensandiego

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx
I am incredibly talkative when I am talking about what I know.

I have a hard time listening, though. I get bored in conversations very easily when I don't know the subject matter.

I want to go back to talking about what I know...It guess this makes me pretty egoistical and unwilling to learn, huh?

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm extremely talkative when I'm comfortable you can't shut me up. But I also consider myself to be socially introverted. (Which I also don't conflate with cognitive introversion and extroversion).

Gone

Because this makes me rethink my type you know, I'm not really a talkative type of person. Yeah I'm really not. [emoji14] It's very effort to talk actually haha. XD i just prefer to listen i guess and just comment. The only time i can be talkative is when i am very interested and very excited about something. That's all. [emoji14]

Yup.

treetophideaway

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
depends on the situation. introverts get talkative when they can talk about themselves
I must be weird then. I'm an introvert and I don't like talking specifically about myself to other people. I'm more of a listener/observer than a talker and the larger the group the less I talk. If there's more than two or three people around I usually don't talk unless spoken to first even with family I've known forever.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6

In the context of function theory, it's not necessarily related. It's one of those areas where a word is used in a specific, technical sense, that might not be quite the same as the common one. Within the theory, introversion and extroversion is more to do with balance between action and contemplation.

mili915876

Well, I think that the test is super accurate. I mean, I am a total introvert and I got INTP. Works for me

Gypsy-Flux

Oh i really think I'm an introvert i guess.. But when i compare myself to my introvert friends i feel very Extroverted. XD

I think I'm an ambivert. Ambiversion deserves to exist

Yeah, I definitely think there are ambiverts. I don't think I am one though. But I can understand if someone mistook me for an ambivert.

I'm too introverted (not shy, just private and quiet). I'm constantly scanning my surroundings quietly. Like a hawk, but a hawk that's too lazy to hunt.

kotoshinohaisha

Permabanned
MBTI Type
STFU
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so
I am incredibly talkative when I am talking about what I know.

I have a hard time listening, though. I get bored in conversations very easily when I don't know the subject matter.

I want to go back to talking about what I know...It guess this makes me pretty egoistical and unwilling to learn, huh?
Same
XD

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Introversion and extroversion isn't necessarily about being talkative or not, but about where you expend versus recharge your energy, as well as what you focus on to get your energy. Introverts can be talkative but will need solitude to feel centered again, and there are quiet extroverts who still need to be around people in order to feel sane. Of course, extreme portrayals of introverts and extroverts do tend to exist in the wild, and they are interesting to look at.