First 34567 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    And these are very good definitions that should once and for all dismiss the notion that one has to do with cognition and the other emotions. They're both based on cognitive decision making, but thinkers want everyone to be treated the same under similar conditions whereas feelers believe that the circumstances should always be considered. It also reaffirmed that I am a thinking type.
    What would that look like in practice?
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Bella View Post
    Would an example be the following: Someone that was seriously emotionaly damaged during childhood commits murder. T wants him to get the death penalty, F wants him to live and be rehabilitated because it's sort of not his fault. ?
    OR a T who doesn't believe in the death penalty thinks he should get prison time and an F who does that looks at how horrific the crime was.

Remember that just because you have people "thinking objectively" or "taking feelings/circumstances into consideration" doesn't mean that you'll come out with predictable outcomes. Different values and experiences mean that every aspect is weighted differently for everyone.

MBTI
    INTP

For murder, I'm not really interested in whether the murderer was abused as a kid. Abused as a kid doesn't equal taking an unrelated person's life. Perhaps if they killed their actual abuser as a way to escape, but growing up to murder your wife or boss, or some random person on the street, and using child abuse as a defense doesn't sit well with me. It baffles me when people want to defend the murderer and forget about the victim.

If we're not talking broad, across the board social-type issues, I generally do see the individual, and I try to look at the situation from his/her perspective, and try to understand why he or she would think or react that way.

I see people as individuals, but when they've done something really heinous, I also see that they had their free will to do that, and I don't have to continue to make excuses for them.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    Hehehe...

And you think that you've found that simplistic principle?
    T and F is as simple as that huh?

Oh wait... it all works except until you recognize that you have, in fact, postulated an implication, rather than a principle.

And the implications are complex, you're correct.
    I'm not stating principles though. The principles are that people should generally conform to certain patterns based upon the observation of individuals. The implications of this are still filtering through. Heck the principle may be proven wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by edcoaching View Post
    A View to a Kill, where a black man in the deep south shoots the men who raped his little girl but were acquitted in the pre Civil Rights era. Was it wrong when there was no justice?
    The Bond movie?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    T - Everyone should be treated fairly.
    F - Everyone should be treated as an individual.
    This is how I would sum up the difference between F and T bosses, at least.
    So since the second approach relies on personal knowledge of the individual, the ones who whine the most basically get the most attention. Even though the T approach doesn't come from a desire to be "nice", it leads to less resentment. But in matters of intimacy or friendship the F method is probably better.
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    ...the ones who whine the most basically get the most attention.

Okay that IS T vs F...

Let's get it on!!
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

The Bond movie?
    Oops--the Grisham book was A Time to Kill.

I just think his setup in those books is meant to show that these issues aren't as cut and dried as anyone of us would like them to be...
    edcoaching

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by edcoaching View Post
    I've often heard the fairness thing described as...

T's want everyone to have an equal chance
    F's want people to have a chance they deserve.
    If I had to pick one I would easily take the second sentence, whereas I would have a hard time deciding if it´s more important to treat people fairly or individually. People are different, they have different personalities, different skills and different preferences. Put in the same situation and given equal chances, one person may cope better with this situation than the other because it suits his preferences. That´s why I think that treating every one as an individual being is important, but it´s also something which I label as „fair“.
    What do Thinkers see as treating someone fairly and individually?

A View to a Kill, where a black man in the deep south shoots the men who raped his little girl but were acquitted in the pre Civil Rights era. Was it wrong when there was no justice?

I'm not really sugesting we debate these, just that Grisham raises the issues in the stickiest situations imaginable to get us to see how difficult they are...
    If I remember correctly the men weren´t acquitted, they were send to jail. That´s one of many differences between the novel and the movie. I could see you point of view if you were talking about the movie, but the novel was more about planned revenge, lying and undermining the legal system.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

T - Everyone should be treated fairly.
    F - Everyone should be treated as an individual.

What say you?
    These aren't mutually exclusive. Find me an F who feels people should be treated unfairly...Find me a T who thinks people are not individuals....

It might be more accurate to say Ts don't really give as much thought to how individuals are treated as they might, and perhaps Fs give it too much thought.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Bella View Post
    Okay, I'm taking back the death penalty as an option as I'm not sure how I feel about that but my idea of justice would be some form of punishment despite the persons background. The background shouldn't make a difference.
    IMO, this is more indicative of the J than the T.