• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

J laziness & P diligence in relation to hobbies

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Has anyone else ever noticed this? I see this pattern a lot.

It seems like Js are more willing to let their hobbies go for a while, or only engage in the sporadically/randomly, while Ps tend to focus on them more religiously (despite not having communicated a commitment). Exactly the opposite of what you see in terms of normal work. By hobbies, I mean things like blogging, posting on message boards, drawing, studying something that isn't part of the school's curriculum, etc.

Am I imagining this? :shock:

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
It could be because P's are possibly more prone to not being in the work they want to do, since flexibility is a prime requisite and that's exactly what you don't get in most jobs, especially those at the lower end to middle of the pay scale... so perhaps P's are more likely to see their paid work as just a means to an end, and that to get their satisfaction/reward from life they have to do it by their spare time pursuits. Whilst J's might get more satisfaction from their work and therefore not invest as much psychologically in their hobbies?

Just an instant theory :)

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
It could be because P's are possibly more prone to not being in the work they want to do, since flexibility is a prime requisite and that's exactly what you don't get in most jobs, especially those at the lower end to middle of the pay scale... so perhaps P's are more likely to see their paid work as just a means to an end, and that to get their satisfaction/reward from life they have to do it by their spare time pursuits. Whilst J's might get more satisfaction from their work and therefore not invest as much psychologically in their hobbies?

Just an instant theory :)

Yes, you're probably right.
I get more satisfaction from work than hobbies.:shock:

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Yes, to be bound to the schedules and routines, rules and policies of working for someone else, is pretty repressive and miserable for a P... it's just a case of gritting your teeth through it to keep the roof over your head. But for a J those things provide you with the security and certainty that you crave.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
You know what else it is... 'The Goals.' I'll work myself into a misery, all for the sake of 'The Goals.'

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
You know what else it is... 'The Goals.' I'll work myself into a misery, all for the sake of 'The Goals.'

yeah. I'm more likely to think the goals are retarded and that I've got a better idea, but nobody's listening to me and I've got to pretend to care about these stupid goals and put my time and effort into achieving them. And I can't even do it my own way either, I've got to do it their way. Which I also think is retarded, and could improve on if only they'd listen/let me. But they don't.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
LOL Ohhhh mannnn...I find I am *really* super committed in almost every area of my life except my hobbies. For example I am super committed at work; I am also super committed in my relationships. But casual friends that I hang out with and my hobbies get the short end of the stick. It's not good, but I have to be honest.

However, I'm not quite sure exactly WHY this happens.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
LOL Ohhhh mannnn...I find I am *really* super committed in almost every area of my life except my hobbies. For example I am super committed at work; I am also super committed in my relationships. But casual friends that I hang out with and my hobbies get the short end of the stick. It's not good, but I have to be honest.

However, I'm not quite sure exactly WHY this happens.

Is it partially cos you're doing work you want to do, that you enjoy/believe in?
Cos I find this is a rare gift that few P's manage to obtain.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
I like doing things under my own steam. And if I'm happy, you can bet I'll take in/do a lot more than someone who was told to do something.

It's having faith in my own development, and being certain that my incentives are sincere and of moral virtue.

There's something about getting paid that taints things for me. But if it's to help support someone else, I'm ok with it.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I've come to the conclusion that I'm never going to like any job I have until I create it myself. Until that time I have to pay the bills somehow, and that means I work in some job I don't particularly care for.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, to be bound to the schedules and routines, rules and policies of working for someone else, is pretty repressive and miserable for a P... it's just a case of gritting your teeth through it to keep the roof over your head. But for a J those things provide you with the security and certainty that you crave.
My job pertains to one of my biggest lifelong interests, and yet, things have changed; entering the information age with the internet, and the job is so controlling, timewise, and all I want to do now is share information.

It is definitely the "other man's" schedules that drives me up the wall, rather than the work itself. Keirsey even redesignated "Judging" as "Scheduling" (and P is "Probing"), and J's tend to be work first play later. I think even some test questions pertaining to J/P ask something like that. So J's will put their energy into meeting the schedules, where P's will put their energy into more free pursuits like inerests. How many P children must have heard from J parents "You put all that effort into interests, but not into your responsibilities!"

Some people say we shouldn't focus on the J/P dichotomy so much, but find that it is very distinctive.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
No, I disagree. It's not J or P related, or rather - not strictly. If you compare an IJ to an EP what you say holds true. If you compare an EJ to an EP it doesn't hold true. If you compare IJ to IP, I'd say it still holds true because the IJ is more likely to focuss on activities that are "strictly necessary".

I think that ENTJs are often not included in the reasoning of "a scheduled job provides J with security", but anyway I have to say that this is something I don't relate to at all. I'd value the freedom of making my own schedule over a superimposed one. You can give me deadlines and I'll never miss one, but don't tell me where and when and how to do the work, please. I work a lot more efficiently when I can organize myself.

As far as "goals" go. I've never seen the need to work myself to exhaustion in order to achieve a given "goal". There's plenty of time in a given day, there's always plenty of time to reach a given goal, with a bit of organization you can enjoy lots of free time and still be very productive without burning out. The only time in which a goal requires overworking is when all that you're trying to do is avoiding failure at all costs by covering all the possible bases. But I'd call it "risk mismanagement"; you can't "dream big" and also live decently if you don't allow for a little risk.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
It depends on what or how big the goal is. Sometimes if you work double hard, you can get it done it double quickly, this works well for money-related goals.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
FDG - the point is that you actually want a schedule, whether it's your own that you prefer over someone else's is beside the point; the P doesn't want one, period.

Kora

MBTI Type
ENTP
I like doing what I want when I want.
If something becomes an obligation, I feel aversion towards it.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
FDG - the point is that you actually want a schedule, whether it's your own that you prefer over someone else's is beside the point; the P doesn't want one, period.

Allright, uhm, let me understand, like P types never think "Okay today in the morning I'll do this, then in the early afternoon this, then at 4 I'll call my friend" or something? They (you) decide things always without pre-thinking about them?

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No, I disagree. It's not J or P related, or rather - not strictly. If you compare an IJ to an EP what you say holds true. If you compare an EJ to an EP it doesn't hold true. If you compare IJ to IP, I'd say it still holds true because the IJ is more likely to focuss on activities that are "strictly necessary".

I think that ENTJs are often not included in the reasoning of "a scheduled job provides J with security", but anyway I have to say that this is something I don't relate to at all. I'd value the freedom of making my own schedule over a superimposed one. You can give me deadlines and I'll never miss one, but don't tell me where and when and how to do the work, please. I work a lot more efficiently when I can organize myself.

Yeah; I didn't get into "whose" schedule was being met, but yes, in an ENTJ, it would not be so much about "a scheduled job provides security", but would be more about making your own schedule over a superimposed one. With me, I don't want a schedule imposed either, but even if it is self-imposed. I often end up cutting out planned activities for running out of time, and they get pushed back, and while I don't like that, I would still rather have that freedom to complete or cut out whatever I want at my own pace.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Yeah; I didn't get into "whose" schedule was being met, but yes, in an ENTJ, it would not be so much about "a scheduled job provides security", but would be more about making your own schedule over a superimposed one. With me, I don't want a schedule imposed either, but even if it is self-imposed. I often end up cutting out planned activities for running out of time, and they get pushed back, and while I don't like that, I would still rather have that freedom to complete or cut out whatever I want at my own pace.

Ok, I understand better now. So it seems that P types always see schedules as being a limit, and have a more rigid view of them - either they completely met them, or ditch/cut out plans. J types are more liberated by their schedules and meet them with "pleasure" so to speak, eventually changing them as they see fit (whereas a P type would not change the schedule - he'd simply ditch it).

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Well, see...what would have been a hobby has become my work. I have done, and am still doing, all that I can to see to it that what I love doing and have always done naturally are made the primary focus of my life and if I can earn money while doing it, +100 points in my mind. So, I suppose I would be dedicated to my "hobby" which is simultaneously my work. I have other hobbies, though, that can slip and get buried under all the other things to be done that seem more important to me (like keeping a journal/blogging...yeah can't remember to do it more than three times a year).

Regarding schedules, I love schedules as long as they aren't too rigorous, pointless, or confined. I do the same thing FDG does in thinking of all the things I have to do that day. I helps me to not panic. Because I can and will if I suddenly realise I'm without a plan of some sort. I get lost, feel at sea, and have no idea what I want/should/need to do. (I envy you people who can think on your feet like a deft, swashbuckling swordsman.)