User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 29

  1. #1
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default J laziness & P diligence in relation to hobbies

    Has anyone else ever noticed this? I see this pattern a lot.

    It seems like Js are more willing to let their hobbies go for a while, or only engage in the sporadically/randomly, while Ps tend to focus on them more religiously (despite not having communicated a commitment). Exactly the opposite of what you see in terms of normal work. By hobbies, I mean things like blogging, posting on message boards, drawing, studying something that isn't part of the school's curriculum, etc.

    Am I imagining this?

  2. #2
    Senior Member substitute's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,601

    Default

    It could be because P's are possibly more prone to not being in the work they want to do, since flexibility is a prime requisite and that's exactly what you don't get in most jobs, especially those at the lower end to middle of the pay scale... so perhaps P's are more likely to see their paid work as just a means to an end, and that to get their satisfaction/reward from life they have to do it by their spare time pursuits. Whilst J's might get more satisfaction from their work and therefore not invest as much psychologically in their hobbies?

    Just an instant theory
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

    "When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

  3. #3
    Senior Member Bella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Posts
    1,510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    It could be because P's are possibly more prone to not being in the work they want to do, since flexibility is a prime requisite and that's exactly what you don't get in most jobs, especially those at the lower end to middle of the pay scale... so perhaps P's are more likely to see their paid work as just a means to an end, and that to get their satisfaction/reward from life they have to do it by their spare time pursuits. Whilst J's might get more satisfaction from their work and therefore not invest as much psychologically in their hobbies?

    Just an instant theory
    Yes, you're probably right.
    I get more satisfaction from work than hobbies.
    yesiknowimamiserablegrouchnowgoawayovmeleor

    It's Mizzz ST, thank you...

  4. #4
    Senior Member substitute's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,601

    Default

    Yes, to be bound to the schedules and routines, rules and policies of working for someone else, is pretty repressive and miserable for a P... it's just a case of gritting your teeth through it to keep the roof over your head. But for a J those things provide you with the security and certainty that you crave.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

    "When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

  5. #5
    Senior Member Bella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Posts
    1,510

    Default

    You know what else it is... 'The Goals.' I'll work myself into a misery, all for the sake of 'The Goals.'
    yesiknowimamiserablegrouchnowgoawayovmeleor

    It's Mizzz ST, thank you...

  6. #6
    Senior Member substitute's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bella View Post
    You know what else it is... 'The Goals.' I'll work myself into a misery, all for the sake of 'The Goals.'
    yeah. I'm more likely to think the goals are retarded and that I've got a better idea, but nobody's listening to me and I've got to pretend to care about these stupid goals and put my time and effort into achieving them. And I can't even do it my own way either, I've got to do it their way. Which I also think is retarded, and could improve on if only they'd listen/let me. But they don't.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

    "When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

  7. #7
    Senior Member Bella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Posts
    1,510

    Default

    Freaking redarded J's ....sheesh
    yesiknowimamiserablegrouchnowgoawayovmeleor

    It's Mizzz ST, thank you...

  8. #8
    Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    xNFP
    Posts
    6,885

    Default

    LOL Ohhhh mannnn...I find I am *really* super committed in almost every area of my life except my hobbies. For example I am super committed at work; I am also super committed in my relationships. But casual friends that I hang out with and my hobbies get the short end of the stick. It's not good, but I have to be honest.

    However, I'm not quite sure exactly WHY this happens.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

  9. #9
    Senior Member substitute's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    LOL Ohhhh mannnn...I find I am *really* super committed in almost every area of my life except my hobbies. For example I am super committed at work; I am also super committed in my relationships. But casual friends that I hang out with and my hobbies get the short end of the stick. It's not good, but I have to be honest.

    However, I'm not quite sure exactly WHY this happens.
    Is it partially cos you're doing work you want to do, that you enjoy/believe in?
    Cos I find this is a rare gift that few P's manage to obtain.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

    "When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

  10. #10
    seor member colmena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INXP
    Posts
    1,550

    Default

    I like doing things under my own steam. And if I'm happy, you can bet I'll take in/do a lot more than someone who was told to do something.

    It's having faith in my own development, and being certain that my incentives are sincere and of moral virtue.

    There's something about getting paid that taints things for me. But if it's to help support someone else, I'm ok with it.
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/6/68764.png
    Ti Ne Fi Ni

    -How beautiful, this pale Endymion hour.
    -What are you talking about?
    -Endymion, my dear. A beautiful youth possessed by the moon.
    -Well, forget about him and get to bed.
    -Yes, my dear.

Similar Threads

  1. Conciousness in relation to the "soul".
    By Rhath89 in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-11-2011, 05:19 PM
  2. School subjects in relation to dominant functions
    By InTheFlesh in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-17-2010, 03:12 AM
  3. [NT] NTs, what do you honestly think about other temperaments in relation to yours?
    By ygolo in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 149
    Last Post: 09-14-2010, 11:35 PM
  4. Cognitive functions in relation to the "box"
    By Aleksei in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 04-22-2010, 09:33 AM
  5. Multilevel selection theory in relation to psychology
    By Anonymous in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-30-2009, 02:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO