User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default J laziness & P diligence in relation to hobbies

Has anyone else ever noticed this? I see this pattern a lot.

It seems like Js are more willing to let their hobbies go for a while, or only engage in the sporadically/randomly, while Ps tend to focus on them more religiously (despite not having communicated a commitment). Exactly the opposite of what you see in terms of normal work. By hobbies, I mean things like blogging, posting on message boards, drawing, studying something that isn't part of the school's curriculum, etc.

Am I imagining this?

MBTI
    ENTP

It could be because P's are possibly more prone to not being in the work they want to do, since flexibility is a prime requisite and that's exactly what you don't get in most jobs, especially those at the lower end to middle of the pay scale... so perhaps P's are more likely to see their paid work as just a means to an end, and that to get their satisfaction/reward from life they have to do it by their spare time pursuits. Whilst J's might get more satisfaction from their work and therefore not invest as much psychologically in their hobbies?

Just an instant theory
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    It could be because P's are possibly more prone to not being in the work they want to do, since flexibility is a prime requisite and that's exactly what you don't get in most jobs, especially those at the lower end to middle of the pay scale... so perhaps P's are more likely to see their paid work as just a means to an end, and that to get their satisfaction/reward from life they have to do it by their spare time pursuits. Whilst J's might get more satisfaction from their work and therefore not invest as much psychologically in their hobbies?

Just an instant theory
    Yes, you're probably right.
    I get more satisfaction from work than hobbies.
    yesiknowimamiserablegrouchnowgoawayovmeleor

It's Mizzz ST, thank you...

MBTI
    ENTP

Yes, to be bound to the schedules and routines, rules and policies of working for someone else, is pretty repressive and miserable for a P... it's just a case of gritting your teeth through it to keep the roof over your head. But for a J those things provide you with the security and certainty that you crave.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

MBTI
    ISTJ

You know what else it is... 'The Goals.' I'll work myself into a misery, all for the sake of 'The Goals.'

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Bella View Post
    You know what else it is... 'The Goals.' I'll work myself into a misery, all for the sake of 'The Goals.'
    yeah. I'm more likely to think the goals are retarded and that I've got a better idea, but nobody's listening to me and I've got to pretend to care about these stupid goals and put my time and effort into achieving them. And I can't even do it my own way either, I've got to do it their way. Which I also think is retarded, and could improve on if only they'd listen/let me. But they don't.

MBTI
    ISTJ

Freaking redarded J's ....sheesh

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

LOL Ohhhh mannnn...I find I am *really* super committed in almost every area of my life except my hobbies. For example I am super committed at work; I am also super committed in my relationships. But casual friends that I hang out with and my hobbies get the short end of the stick. It's not good, but I have to be honest.

However, I'm not quite sure exactly WHY this happens.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    LOL Ohhhh mannnn...I find I am *really* super committed in almost every area of my life except my hobbies. For example I am super committed at work; I am also super committed in my relationships. But casual friends that I hang out with and my hobbies get the short end of the stick. It's not good, but I have to be honest.

However, I'm not quite sure exactly WHY this happens.
    Is it partially cos you're doing work you want to do, that you enjoy/believe in?
    Cos I find this is a rare gift that few P's manage to obtain.

MBTI
    INXP

I like doing things under my own steam. And if I'm happy, you can bet I'll take in/do a lot more than someone who was told to do something.

It's having faith in my own development, and being certain that my incentives are sincere and of moral virtue.

There's something about getting paid that taints things for me. But if it's to help support someone else, I'm ok with it.
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/6/68764.png
    Ti Ne Fi Ni

-How beautiful, this pale Endymion hour.
    -What are you talking about?
    -Endymion, my dear. A beautiful youth possessed by the moon.
    -Well, forget about him and get to bed.
    -Yes, my dear.