• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

J laziness & P diligence in relation to hobbies

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Since when are Ps consumed by frivolity?
When did the Js stake their claim on progress and success?

Does no one bother to look for introverted functions anymore or is it that they manifest too incomprehensibly?

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Since when are Ps consumed by frivolity?
When did the Js stake their claim on progress and success?

You can be extremely successful and deep in something that is considered as an hobby. For a stereotypical example you have Einstein, for a more extensively present you have athletes.

Regarding schedules, I love schedules as long as they aren't too rigorous, pointless, or confined. I do the same thing FDG does in thinking of all the things I have to do that day. I helps me to not panic. Because I can and will if I suddenly realise I'm without a plan of some sort. I get lost, feel at sea, and have no idea what I want/should/need to do. (I envy you people who can think on your feet like a deft, swashbuckling swordsman.)

If I have nothing to do, I panick only if it's rainy outside, because I'll get bored :D otherwise, I just go at the park sunbathing (except when it's december-january)

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
No, I disagree. It's not J or P related, or rather - not strictly. If you compare an IJ to an EP what you say holds true. If you compare an EJ to an EP it doesn't hold true.

Maybe I'm just a weird example, but I actually hold true to the OP. I'm very chill about my hobbies. Maybe that's just because if SJs were anal-retentive about everything (as some people tend to think, albeit falsely), there wouldn't be any "fun"... just "business". We need to be chill about something - it might as well be something that you aren't paid to do. Being chill about a paying job, for me at least, is dangerous.

As far as "goals" go. I've never seen the need to work myself to exhaustion in order to achieve a given "goal".

That's probably more of an SJ thing... specifically an ESTJ thing :)

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
I think I just love to invest my energies and emotions into things that I like on my own whims. When I played soccer I would love and hate practices because it was imposed and mandatory, but I loved the freedom you had in scrimmages to just goof off and do something you enjoy.

I LOVED the games because you could focus your intensity levels in accordance to a varying situation. I think when it comes down to it when I'm willing to exert energy and effort on something I need the comfort of knowing that the highs and lows will not adversely affect me. Schedules unfortunately are usually built to curb the varying productivity levels and maintain a more consistent level while hobbies allow for it.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It could be because P's are possibly more prone to not being in the work they want to do, since flexibility is a prime requisite and that's exactly what you don't get in most jobs, especially those at the lower end to middle of the pay scale... so perhaps P's are more likely to see their paid work as just a means to an end, and that to get their satisfaction/reward from life they have to do it by their spare time pursuits. Whilst J's might get more satisfaction from their work and therefore not invest as much psychologically in their hobbies?

Just an instant theory :)

Don't know. Makes sense, but then assuming I'm a 'J', I run counter to that because I've never been terribly satisfied with work, and have often ended up having to convince myself that work is just a means to an end. That doesn't sit well with me though.

I aspire to a job that really does give me satisfaction in life, and gives me many benefits and rewards (emotional/psychological benefits), but I often think that job doesn't exist and I'll always have to seek outside for those pieces.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
No, I disagree. It's not J or P related, or rather - not strictly. If you compare an IJ to an EP what you say holds true. If you compare an EJ to an EP it doesn't hold true. If you compare IJ to IP, I'd say it still holds true because the IJ is more likely to focuss on activities that are "strictly necessary".

I think that ENTJs are often not included in the reasoning of "a scheduled job provides J with security", but anyway I have to say that this is something I don't relate to at all. I'd value the freedom of making my own schedule over a superimposed one. You can give me deadlines and I'll never miss one, but don't tell me where and when and how to do the work, please. I work a lot more efficiently when I can organize myself.

As far as "goals" go. I've never seen the need to work myself to exhaustion in order to achieve a given "goal". There's plenty of time in a given day, there's always plenty of time to reach a given goal, with a bit of organization you can enjoy lots of free time and still be very productive without burning out. The only time in which a goal requires overworking is when all that you're trying to do is avoiding failure at all costs by covering all the possible bases. But I'd call it "risk mismanagement"; you can't "dream big" and also live decently if you don't allow for a little risk.

This rings really true for me as an INFJ. I can meet goals much more efficiently than half my coworkers, so don't tell me how, when, or how long.

Hobbies...My work is really as interesting as my hobbies. But I'm self-employed :) I find I need to almost schedule my hobbies--theater tickets with a friend, book club, library due dates on books, etc., or I won't get to them so i'll agree with the OP

LucrativeSid

Responding to original post:

Are those hobbies or just methods of procrastination? If something is enjoyable for a P, it's not surprising that they will spend a lot of time on it, since they have a play first and work later attitude. What better way to fill the time?

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
You can be extremely successful and deep in something that is considered as an hobby. For a stereotypical example you have Einstein, for a more extensively present you have athletes.
Correct.

Those were rhetorical questions by the way. I had hoped my prose would give it away but I guess I can't expect a Thinking dominant to comprehend -- I call it the Dwight Schrute syndrome.

You are correct though, and how very astute. Most wouldn't even recognize alternative contingencies. Responding in kind would have been especially difficult.

Additionally, there are P's who do extremely well in... basically anything. Anything that tickles their introverted judgement.

This is what I'm talking about when I say no one attends the introverted/extraverted side of the marks (or perhaps we've muddled our understanding...).
Bluewing minds it too much. Everyone else ignores it completely. I am mother bear's porridge.

If a strongly expressed Ti likes running a small business, the Ti will run their small business very well. If the same Ti instead likes jigsaw puzzles, holding down a job will be immensely difficult, as he will be too distracted by his puzzles.

He has his own goals. Rather than having goals established by society like the Te types.

It's simple math folks.

FDG seems to know his arithmetic.

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
I don't have that sense of duty or whatever it is J's have to actually focus on work (something not fun), and would rather engulf myself in my hobbies because I am self-indulgent that way.