User Tag List

12 Last

Default Reflection and Recognition

I know you won't believe this but I try not to be contentious.

But it does seem to me that typing yourself is self reflexive.

And in fact typing yourself is not narcissistic. For Narcissus looked into the pond and saw a beautiful youth, but did not know it was himself.

And so the Myth of Narcissus unfolds based on the fact that Narcissus did not know he was looking at his own reflection.

But those who type themselves do know they are looking at their own reflection.

So we are not tragic like Narcissus, merely bathetic like Falstaff.

We see ourselves as tragic when we are, in fact, comic.

So when we look in the mirror of type, we see the face of tragedy when it is the mask of comedy that is staring back at us.

So perhaps we are like Narcissus in that we don't recognize our own reflection.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I would have enjoyed that post much more if it wasn't littered with mythological references and symbolism and had a less didactic tone.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    I would have enjoyed that post much more if it wasn't littered with mythological references and symbolism and had a less didactic tone.
    As much as I would like your good opinion, I write primarily for myself in order to see what I am thinking.

I could remove the mythological references and symbolism but that would be castrating myself.

If I were to remove the didactic tone, I would be foreswearing my transcendent purpose.

If I were though to be swayed by you, I would be reduced to the quotidian.

And if I castrated myself, and abandoned my true purpose, and addressed you in a quotidian tone, you still wouldn't like me.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

What the hell are you talking about Victor?

You have something to say about typing yourself. Why not just say it in English?

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Yeah, don't listen to Edahn, Victor. I feel like I should have to pay to read half your posts.

MBTI
    ISTJ

Like the rest of you make any sense....I heart Victor.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I know you won't believe this but I try not to be contentious.

But it does seem to me that typing yourself is self reflexive.

And in fact typing yourself is not narcissistic. For Narcissus looked into the pond and saw a beautiful youth, but did not know it was himself.

And so the Myth of Narcissus unfolds based on the fact that Narcissus did not know he was looking at his own reflection.

But those who type themselves do know they are looking at their own reflection.

So we are not tragic like Narcissus, merely bathetic like Falstaff.

We see ourselves as tragic when we are, in fact, comic.

So when we look in the mirror of type, we see the face of tragedy when it is the mask of comedy that is staring back at us.

So perhaps we are like Narcissus in that we don't recognize our own reflection.

Speak for yourself victor, plenty of us see the humor in ourself and our own illusions about self and how hard it is to see ourselves as we truly are and the illusions that ego puts up again and again to befool us...and all of that. It is part of what makes life bearable through humor. Try it. You might like it.

If I were to remove the didactic tone, I would be foreswearing my transcendent purpose.
    No, you'd just be a lot less insufferable.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

And if I castrated myself, and abandoned my true purpose, and addressed you in a quotidian tone, you still wouldn't like me.
    Actually, I never said I didn't like you. I think you're eccentric and true to yourself, and there's a certain comfort I feel around you for that reason. However, when it comes to establishing a dialogue (whether or not you're interested) I find it difficult to engage you when your posts are authored so selfishly.

Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    What the hell are you talking about Victor?

You have something to say about typing yourself. Why not just say it in English?
    I don't type myself. I ask other people to type me. I look to see my reflection in your eyes, not my own.

And I speak the Queen's English while you speak the vulgar dialect foisted on you by the revolutionary lexicographer, Noah Webster.

heart on fire

And I speak the Queen's English while you speak the vulgar dialect foisted on you by the revolutionary lexicographer, Noah Webster.
    ugh...yeah, yeah, you have the benefit of the high English culture and we're all a burlesque sideshow carnival here in the USA.

^ High English culture at it's level best! Just kidding, folks.

Should we get into the changes to the English language around the time of the King James Bible printing? What's the real true English to be?