User Tag List

123 Last

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Default E vs I and Hormones

I watched this documentary about testosterone and how it affects behavior. Nothing new really, but it got me thinking that many of the traits related to high testosterone are also related to MBTIs extroverted types.

Basically it goes like this. When you are in the womb, your body starts pumping up the testosterone at a certain point. If the level is high, you end up being a boy, if the level is low, you are girl. After this the hormone plays a big role at puberty.

So I'm thinking, could the womb testosterone level be the crucial factor in making you extrovert? Or, are these two things linked in other ways? Are there studies?

If it was so, it wouldn't mean that every introvert is a low testosterone guy, since after you are born your mind already is set to a certain behavior but your bodys testosterone level is affected by your surroundings.

(I'm not too sure how this would work out for a girl, though)

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    I watched this documentary about testosterone and how it affects behavior. Nothing new really, but it got me thinking that many of the traits related to high testosterone are also related to MBTIs extroverted types.

Basically it goes like this. When you are in the womb, your body starts pumping up the testosterone at a certain point. If the level is high, you end up being a boy, if the level is low, you are girl.
    A little sloppy of an assessment.

It's true that the androgens virilize you as male. Those XY males who are androgen-insensitive will proceed along an externally female path physically even if they have crudely developed testes inside.

There are many things that can derail this process.

So I'm thinking, could the womb testosterone level be the crucial factor in making you extrovert? Or, are these two things linked in other ways? Are there studies?
    Even just logically thinking through it, it doesn't seem like that would be the case.

What testosterone does is make you more aggressive and/or direct in your approach with the world. I don't think that's the same as "extroversion," although you would be extroverting your desires actively.

If it was so, it wouldn't mean that every introvert is a low testosterone guy, since after you are born your mind already is set to a certain behavior but your body's testosterone level is affected by your surroundings.
    This concept sounds like it has a lot of holes in it.

What of extroverted women who might be more extroverted than extroverted men? They certainly do not have MORE testosterone than the male(s). That in itself is enough to derail this way of thinking. I'd recommend more reading on the actual impact of testosterone in human behavior, in general.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Yes, it is hazy, I admit. I'm just interested if there is anyone out here who has tried to link these two. I don't understand anything about hormones (except the common knowledge). But, MBTI is a way to box behaviors and the hormones are what make some behavior patterns to come forward, right? So, there should be some connection..?

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    What of extroverted women who might be more extroverted than extroverted men? They certainly do not have MORE testosterone than the male(s). That in itself is enough to derail this way of thinking. I'd recommend more reading on the actual impact of testosterone in human behavior, in general.
    Yeah, this is a tough one. I don't know. Could the relative level of testosterone for a girl be an answer?

MBTI
    ENFJ

Yeah, this is a tough one. I don't know. Could the relative level of testosterone for a girl be an answer?
    No. You would be able to tell because the most extroverted girls would be much hairier, and this is certainly not the case.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    A little sloppy of an assessment.

It's true that the androgens virilize you as male. Those XY males who are androgen-insensitive will proceed along an externally female path physically even if they have crudely developed testes inside.

There are many things that can derail this process.
    Interesting...
    Hmmm...
    Yes...

To my knowledge, which is admittedly limited, that doesn't happen very often.
    I mean you're right, but it seems odd to use something so obscure in a rebuttal.
    Maybe a personal factor has heightened your awareness of the phenomenon?

Even just logically thinking through it, it doesn't seem like that would be the case.
    Yeah... that would mean all women are Is right? That's... not even close.

This concept sounds like it has a lot of holes in it.
    Just like all of psychology. Who's idea was it to make physical correlations with any kind of archetypes anyway? This isn't the first time I've heard of this kind of stuff.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    No. You would be able to tell because the most extroverted girls would be much hairier, and this is certainly not the case.
    Well, yeah, I guess. But, this doesn't explain why the high testosterone "alpha males" are definitely extroverted.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I don't think your theory holds water, personally, but there's no argument that hormones control personality. For example, healthy females with a preference for Thinking are more ruled by emotion than healthy "T" males. Estrogen.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    Who's idea was it to make physical correlations with any kind of archetypes anyway?
    MINE!

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    This isn't the first time I've heard of this kind of stuff.
    You haven't seen it here. I searched. There wasn't any topic named anything close to this one.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Well, yeah, I guess. But, this doesn't explain why the high testosterone "alpha males" are definitely extroverted.
    "Alpha male"-dom has to do with aggressiveness, not introversion versus extroversion. Not all extroverts are aggressive, and certainly not all introverts are passive -- however, introverts tend not to be aggressive unless things fall onto 'their turf,' and a passive extrovert will still be more aware and interacting with the world around them (though not forcing it).

Extroversion would be a plus if trying to manage a pack, but it's certainly not the only factor in becoming an 'alpha.' Remember, there are a lot of extroverts out there, but only a few alphas.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    I don't think your theory holds water, personally, but there's no argument that hormones control personality.
    I don't have a theory. I just want to know how they are related, if they are related.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    For example, healthy females with a preference for Thinking are more ruled by emotion than healthy "T" males. Estrogen.
    This is exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for. You are saying that the ultimate thinker needs to be a man, basically. Quite a claim. Interesting.