• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The order of your functions

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
christ, no one seems to understand functions even a little

EDIT:

ENFP -> Ne, Fi, Te, Si
INFP -> Fi, Ne, Si, Te
ENTP -> Ne, Ti, Fe, Si
INTP -> Ti, Ne, Si, Fe
ENFJ -> Fe, Ni, Se, Ti

and so on...

if you are an INFP, those are your functions and those are the order they are in.

In an ENFP the first function receives the information. The auxiliary function determines what to do with the information. The tertiary does two things: it allows the first two functions to communicate freely (this is true for any type) and in the ENFPs case it brings order to decision making. The shadow is just a backup to Te and is an un(sub)conscious process. thats functions in a nutshell...at least for an ENFP

EDIT 2:

Don't mean to sound so "brash".

Kora

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm free to decide in which order I'd rather use my functions, thanks. Being an INTP doesn't make me exactly like an INTP book description.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
ok whatever floats your boat, just informing how the functions actually work

im not using the book description, in fact, i shun book descriptions

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I find function order to be restrictive. To say that everyone fits into exactly 16 "well-defined" categories is pretty ambitious, especially for something so ambiguous.

Kora

MBTI Type
ENTP
ok whatever floats your boat, just informing how the functions actually work

im not using the book description, in fact, i shun book descriptions

I know, but I just don't think the way functions work doesn't actually work 100% with me.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
it's not that they work anyway with anyone, once you treat functions as individual entities they lose their usefulness and thus are pretty pointless. an individual function is nothing, it doesn't tell you anything. if you can explain how your functions work together (like i did with ENFP) then go for it. you might know much more then I do because I can't figure out a way that it would be possible.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Boy, this topic sure does bring out the "I know you better than you know yourself" crowd, doesn't it? :rolli:

Anyway, according to that cognitive processes test thingy, mine go like this:

Fi-Se-Si-Fe-Ne-Te-Ni-Ti

Which, when I read the descriptions of what the functions mean/do pretty much makes sense in the way I approach stuff mentally.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Boy, this topic sure does bring out the "I know you better than you know yourself" crowd, doesn't it?

Ya it does :) Thank God I'm not part of that group.

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Eric B said :

Since the test did type me as an ENFP, despite Fi>Ne, it seems how the functions relate to each other also matters.

The idea of type determined via. "relative" functions is intuitively satisfying. After looking into it, I just might buy it.

redacted

Ni, Ti, Fe, Se

The other four are basically rolled up into the first four. I don't think of it as 8 separate functions. I think of it as 4, and then spectrums of direction for each.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
I think of it as 4, and then spectrums of direction for each.

Explain. I may have a similar approach. For example, in my list of fuctions (Ne, Fi, Te, Si) I do not have Fe. But of course I can create a "synthetic" version of Fe with Ne and Fi.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

EDIT:

ENFP -> Ne, Fi, Te, Si
INFP -> Fi, Ne, Si, Te
ENTP -> Ne, Ti, Fe, Si
INTP -> Ti, Ne, Si, Fe
ENFJ -> Fe, Ni, Se, Ti

and so on...

if you are an INFP, those are your functions and those are the order they are in.

In an ENFP the first function receives the information. The auxiliary function determines what to do with the information. The tertiary does two things: it allows the first two functions to communicate freely (this is true for any type) and in the ENFPs case it brings order to decision making. The shadow is just a backup to Te and is an un(sub)conscious process. thats functions in a nutshell...at least for an ENFP
What you're describing there are actually roles, not necessarily strengths. That's why people's CP results are coming out all out of order. So an ENFP can have his Fi measured as the strongest, and what that would suggest is that his decision making is stronger then his receiving of information. I guess he "does more with less". ;)

I find both my Ne-Ti-Si-Fi-Te-Fe-Se-Ni relative strengths, plus the Ti-Ne-Si-Fe-Te-Ni-Se-Fi roles to be very accurate.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
Mine would be:

Fi
Ne
Si
Te and Ti are probably tied. Si is pretty close to being tied, too, actually.
Se
Fe
Ni

redacted

Explain. I may have a similar approach. For example, in my list of fuctions (Ne, Fi, Te, Si) I do not have Fe. But of course I can create a "synthetic" version of Fe with Ne and Fi.

Well it makes sense that when one perceiving or judging function goes in one direction, it should be used with the opposite one going the other direction (ie. Ti and Fe, Ni and Se).

Let's take ESFP as an example. I seriously doubt any of them gives equal attention to all sensory data in the environment. Even the most P people still filter data through their internal standard to some extent (they're more likely to pick up on sensory data that is more important to their current thought process and unconscious tendencies). So they are S dominant with extroversion being the preferred direction for sensing. Maybe call it 90% extroverted sensing. 100% extroversion in a function doesn't seem possible.

I don't think it makes sense to call Se and Si different functions since neither of them seem to be theoretically possible. I'd rather call it sensing and include a spectrum of introversion to extroversion.

I do think that generally people tend to be 90% or more on either side, just due to our tendency to specialize. I doubt anyone could maintain any sort of balance in the middle of a function. So it still makes sense to think of functions as having a direction. Just not entirely one direction.

This is actually another reason I feel comfortable listing my function order as Ni, Ti, Fe, Se. Not all of them are pointing in exactly one direction. There is a bit of extroversion in my first two functions, and there is a bit of introversion in my second two.

Another thing: the MBTI system is flawed. We think of people that use T more comfortably than F as Ts, but I'm not an INTJ. Either the code should include less common orders, or we should throw out the code altogether and just list functions. There are definitely rules that apply to order of functions, but I don't like the rule for the order of the middle two functions. I think that should be thrown out.

People are raised in all sorts of different ways. If someone is raised in an environment where their auxiliary is constantly negatively reinforced and their tertiary constantly positively enforced, they are definitely going to be more comfortable with their tertiary than their auxiliary.

So what does "order" really mean? Does it mean comfortability? Or does it just mean MBTI perscribed order... If it means comfortability, the rules are too strict. If its about functions pairing in some sort of specific way, I guess we can use the MBTI order, it just can't be applied that far.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
whoever keeps giving my threads 1 star, please go kill yourself.

okay back on topic, if you think your 4 functions are your top 4 functions i simply CANNOT agree, nor do i think the literature ever says this. you seriously telling me that for an ENFP your Te will be higher than your Fe? Te is my tertiary function isn't it? yet will power is especially bad with us ENFP's. furthermore, the 4th function that the standard literature gives often isn't called your 4th function at all but your WEAKEST function. for my money, that doesn't mean that it's my 4th function at all, but my 8th. unless we can somehow say that we only use 4 functions, i can't see how this makes sense. i think the 4 functions that they give us only indicate the order of those 4 functions itself (perhaps the top 2 and bottom 2), that's it. i WILL NOT accept that they are my top 4 functions because they are obviously not. Te and Si are strong suits of an ENFP? give me a break.

redacted

1)Thinking depends on Feeling in the following regard, when a Thinker comes across a piece of good reasoning, he experiences a positive sentiment with respect to the thought he just entertained. If this were not the case, and we had only Thinking operating and no Feeling, the Thinker would have no relationship to his thoughts. He simply would have no motivation to explore them.
2)Intuition depends on Sensation in the following regard, in order for you to imagine something, you need to have an observation imprinted in your mind of something that you have seen before. As otherwise your vision does not have a starting point.
3)Feeling depends on Thinking in the following regard, Thinking provides structure for the sentiments the feeler has experienced. A feeler is able to say that X is good or bad because Thinking has identified what X is and focused the sentiments onto X. Feeling without Thinking would simply be a conglomeration of passions.
4)Sensing depends on Intuition in the following regard, concrete sensations are only possible to be recalled if one has made a mental note of them, this requires intuition. Pure element of sensation goes only as far as the physical act of touching, or smelling an entity, yet when the mind quite inevitably makes a mental note of the entity interacted with, intuition comes into the act.

Re: above post: You must use all four functions all the time. Feeling depends on thinking. You certainly use Thinking more than you use both feeling functions, or else you've got some real bad problems.

There's a difference between amount of use and conscious awareness.

dorareever

MBTI Type
INFP
According to the test thingy mine are Fi, Ne, Ni, Si, Ti, Se, Fe, Te it seems. Even thought Te should be way higher than it is in an INFP. I must be defective ;)