• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why is INTJ a recommended pairing for ENFP but not INFP?

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
ENFP and INFP both have all the same functions. Why is INTJ recommended for ENFP but not INFP?

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Its because of the ITJ complimenting the EFP while both being types with intuition in the dom slot.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think recommendations are kind of ridiculous anyway. It's always going to depend on the two individual people and their personal experiences beyond type. You probably couldn't accurately type anyone until you got to know them very well anyway. I wouldn't worry about it.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
INFPs also use introverted intuition as their their 6th function.

My function theory is not up to standard but im pretty sure this means that even a ESxP is going to have better Ni than an INFP as for a ESxP it is 4th.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Its because of the ITJ complimenting the EFP while both being types with intuition in the dom slot.

Roughly this.

It is because ENFP and INTJ are both regarded as having intuition as their dominant function/strongest preference out of N/S/F/T, and also there is the idea that introverts pair well with extroverts.

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
My function theory is not up to standard but im pretty sure this means that even a ESxP is going to have better Ni than an INFP as for a ESxP it is 4th.

So is the 6th function less stronger then the 5th function? Is that what you're trying to say?

baccheion

INTJ + ENFP is a bad combination. The relationships are usually destructive and unsatisfying. According to Socionics, it's a relation of Supervision (or Illusionary Relations if the INTJ's last letter doesn't flip), which is one of the worst possible pairings. I think only one theory/person has actually recommended these pairings. If anything it would be the mirror pairings (INTJ + ENTP and ENFP + INFJ) that would be better, and only for business partnerships.

I'm especially annoyed about this set of recommendations, as it's recommended INTPs pair with ENFJs. No way! That's another case of one of the worst possible pairings being recommended.

I think INTPs would be better off with INFJs, and maybe INTJ + INFP, ENTJ + ENFP, ENTP + ENFJ, etc. I'm shaky about it, as it seems it's mainly the INTP male + INFJ female pairing that works well. That is, maybe there are differences due to gender.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Because INFP wont put up with INTJ shit :doh: ENFP will

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
So is the 6th function less stronger then the 5th function? Is that what you're trying to say?

Yep. In my personal experience with Te as my 6th function it is very unnatural to use for me. IxFPs can use Te better than i can basically:).

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
We'll put up with an ISTP's shit as well, don't worry :coffee:

We got different shit :smooch: does make me wonder which type wont put up with our shit. ISFJ if we do similiar letter swap as INFP and INTJ :thinking:

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
We got different shit :smooch: does make me wonder which type wont put up with our shit. ISFJ if we do similiar letter swap as INFP and INTJ :thinking:

INTJ perhaps? :smile:

I think INFPs are perfectly capable of putting up with an INTJ's shit, but they may have some trouble keeping the communication lines open due to the double introvert thing and both living in their own, different world.

I know with ENTJS, I tend to run into the glare of doom, when I hit that silly switch where they're looking at me like...wtf are you doing? How is that conducive in any way? And I'm supposed to do what with this shit?

...which, if they cannot laugh at themselves at that point kinda kills the game and makes me feel like I should go 'yes sirrr, right away, sirrr!'...and if you do give that reaction, even then they are *NOT* amused.

Eventually, you end up feeling like a fly that's buzzing around their ears, and they either ignore you or try to swat you. Not conducive to communication, at all - which.. I guess holds a certain kind of irony :D

Stowing away Ne or at least leashing it a little in favour of Fi, does a lot when interacting with ENTJs, ime. I'm guessing that INFP-INTJ runs into the reversed problem with their interactions, where they'd need to amp up their Ne a little, and/or INTJs need to tap into that Te, as such.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
INTJ perhaps? :smile:

I think INFPs are perfectly capable of putting up with an INTJ's shit, but they may have some trouble keeping the communication lines open due to the double introvert thing and both living in their own, different world.

I know with ENTJS, I tend to run into the glare of doom, when I hit that silly switch where they're looking at me like...wtf are you doing? How is that conducive in any way? And I'm supposed to do what with this shit?

...which, if they cannot laugh at themselves at that point kinda kills the game and makes me feel like I should go 'yes sirrr, right away, sirrr!'...and if you do give that reaction, even then they are *NOT* amused.

Eventually, you end up feeling like a fly that's buzzing around their ears, and they either ignore you or try to swat you. Not conducive to communication, at all - which.. I guess holds a certain kind of irony :D

Stowing away Ne or at least leashing it a little in favour of Fi, does a lot when interacting with ENTJs, ime. I'm guessing that INFP-INTJ runs into the reversed problem with their interactions, where they'd need to amp up their Ne a little, and/or INTJs need to tap into that Te, as such.

Interesting, i guess the question would be...on a probability scale what would the likely hood of an ENTJ and an ENFP significant other work out for the better.

What works with INTJ is retreating into space while the ENFP retreats into the world. Issues are resolved via space and distance in a manner that both have no problems doing...thats different then lets say an EJ who wants to actively work through issues together which can lead down some unwanted but in the eyes of an EJ, especially ETJ its warranted. INFP has a huge desire to fix a problem because they care. They do this in the opposite manner as an ENTJ though, they still want that communication and working together to fix problems. An INFP will work to hide their internal issues while an INTJ escapes to process. They dont pull each other to healthy in a very effective way.

An INTJ holds an ENFP in Te much more then is fully healthy, but not bad enough to cause MAJOR issues. ENTJ would hold them in a much higher state of Te.

I actually get along very well with INTJs in real life, i have no issues dealing with their shit. It doesnt phase me one bit on here or in real life. I just ignore it, it gets no positive or negatige reaction generally and worse case i just tap into Se and Fe and respond in like kind with no actual internal ties to my reaction. Means i can change at the drop of a hat.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
INTJ + ENFP is a bad combination. The relationships are usually destructive and unsatisfying. According to Socionics, it's a relation of Supervision (or Illusionary Relations if the INTJ's last letter doesn't flip), which is one of the worst possible pairings. I think only one theory/person has actually recommended these pairings. If anything it would be the mirror pairings (INTJ + ENTP and ENFP + INFJ) that would be better, and only for business partnerships.

You can't exactly associate MBTI types with Socionics types so I don't think that this is particularly relevant (or true).

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'd feel that Te in the dom/aux position would just piss off the INFP being the idealists that they are. The whole means to an end approach is so antithesis to their lifestyle and beliefs.

It'd be pretty violent the way I see it and some (not all) INFP's ime have such terrible logic that you cannot hold an intellectual conversation which so many INTJ's expect from their intimates.

That's as far as I'll say.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
My experience with INFPs is that there can definitely be attraction there for some of the same reasons that there is with ENFPs but there are a number of problems that can stem from the combination of 2 I's.

1. In the past I've had INFP's misinterpret something I said in such a way that it makes them feel bad (which is something that INTJ's do easily to people), but instead of confronting the issue they may just let it linger indefinitely with us none the wiser.

2. They may never get together at all with the INTJ because they're both I's and that's how we roll.

3. It just isn't quite enough. INFPs meet some of the INTJs needs (and presumably vice-versa) but not others that are met by being with an E.

This all obviously depends on the individuals, though, and what they specifically want. This is just based on my own anecdata.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I mean, it also depends on what the person is looking for in a partner as well. Not every INTJ wants an ENFP, believe it or not.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Interesting, i guess the question would be...on a probability scale what would the likely hood of an ENTJ and an ENFP significant other work out for the better.

What works with INTJ is retreating into space while the ENFP retreats into the world. Issues are resolved via space and distance in a manner that both have no problems doing...thats different then lets say an EJ who wants to actively work through issues together which can lead down some unwanted but in the eyes of an EJ, especially ETJ its warranted. INFP has a huge desire to fix a problem because they care. They do this in the opposite manner as an ENTJ though, they still want that communication and working together to fix problems. An INFP will work to hide their internal issues while an INTJ escapes to process. They dont pull each other to healthy in a very effective way.

An INTJ holds an ENFP in Te much more then is fully healthy, but not bad enough to cause MAJOR issues. ENTJ would hold them in a much higher state of Te.

I actually get along very well with INTJs in real life, i have no issues dealing with their shit. It doesnt phase me one bit on here or in real life. I just ignore it, it gets no positive or negatige reaction generally and worse case i just tap into Se and Fe and respond in like kind with no actual internal ties to my reaction. Means i can change at the drop of a hat.

I find ENTJ's pretty electrifying conversationally, but I have to be in the right mood and on my toes... because wow they really steam like a train. I think ENFP's needing that time out will tire out quite quickly with ENTJ's consistent full on energy in a relationship pairing and the ENTJ will likely find the ENFP flakey. I imagine short term projects or friendships can fly pretty high though.