12 Last

MBTI
    ABCD
    Enneagram
    4 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEI

Default Born with your E-type?

Are you born with your enneagram type or does it develop in response to your environment when growing up?

Have studies been done on this?

I have a hard time seeing it as something that you are 100% born with because of my own personal situation. There was a clear point in time in which my four tendancies began to develop heavily and I can pinpoint events that triggered my extreme concern with identity.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Right now at CPP ICON Success Pat Wyman, who's done tons of work with MBTI, Enneagram and Inner Child Therapy, is running a forum on type and Enneagram. Try posting your question there and I bet she has some really good insights. You have to join (for free) there but they promise no marketing...
    edcoaching

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Enneagram seems much more nurture based than MBTI. It's all about psychological coping mechanisms, which would seem to be in response to childhood issues.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    Enneagram seems much more nurture based than MBTI. It's all about psychological coping mechanisms, which would seem to be in response to childhood issues.
    I agree with this.

My "4-ness" really didn't start to develop until my mid-teens whereas my ENFP-ness has been apparent since I was a toddler or so.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    Are you born with your enneagram type or does it develop in response to your environment when growing up?

Have studies been done on this?

I have a hard time seeing it as something that you are 100% born with because of my own personal situation. There was a clear point in time in which my four tendancies began to develop heavily and I can pinpoint events that triggered my extreme concern with identity.
    According to this site:
    The Enneagram Type Test
    "While each of us will identify with certain behaviors from each Enneagram type, everyone has only one type that subconsciously motivates his/her behavior throughout his/her entire life. ... The basic premise of the Enneagram is that each of us developed one of nine perceptual filters (Enneagram types) in infancy to protect a specific aspect of our Essential Nature (higher, or divine, self) which felt particularly vulnerable or threatened. Depending upon the temperament of the infant and its relationship to the environment, it became so focused on protecting one of the nine specific aspects of our Essential Nature that an imbalanced, habitual focus of attention was developed."

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Both my E-type and my MBTI type were very apparent since I was a little kid.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INFP

According to Enneagram theory you´re either born with your type or it developed in infancy. It doesn´t make any sense to suggest a development at a later time, because it wouldn´t have the same driving motivation due to the fact that you have already developed a good deal.

MBTI
    intp

Doubt it. It's not even constant.
    Of course the developers of the theory would claim it is congenital or deeply ingrained -- It sounds less flimsy.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MBTI
    INFP

It´s certainly up to believe, but if you don´t see the fixation and motivation as deeply ingrained you´re proposing a new theory and you´re not talking about the enneagram anymore.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I was more of semi-extroverted class clown when I was really young, I've become a little more introverted and less of a sensor as I aged I believe.