• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Born with your E-type?

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Are you born with your enneagram type or does it develop in response to your environment when growing up?

Have studies been done on this?

I have a hard time seeing it as something that you are 100% born with because of my own personal situation. There was a clear point in time in which my four tendancies began to develop heavily and I can pinpoint events that triggered my extreme concern with identity.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Right now at CPP ICON Success Pat Wyman, who's done tons of work with MBTI, Enneagram and Inner Child Therapy, is running a forum on type and Enneagram. Try posting your question there and I bet she has some really good insights. You have to join (for free) there but they promise no marketing...

redacted

Enneagram seems much more nurture based than MBTI. It's all about psychological coping mechanisms, which would seem to be in response to childhood issues.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Enneagram seems much more nurture based than MBTI. It's all about psychological coping mechanisms, which would seem to be in response to childhood issues.
I agree with this.

My "4-ness" really didn't start to develop until my mid-teens whereas my ENFP-ness has been apparent since I was a toddler or so.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Are you born with your enneagram type or does it develop in response to your environment when growing up?

Have studies been done on this?

I have a hard time seeing it as something that you are 100% born with because of my own personal situation. There was a clear point in time in which my four tendancies began to develop heavily and I can pinpoint events that triggered my extreme concern with identity.
According to this site:
The Enneagram Type Test
"While each of us will identify with certain behaviors from each Enneagram type, everyone has only one type that subconsciously motivates his/her behavior throughout his/her entire life. ... The basic premise of the Enneagram is that each of us developed one of nine perceptual filters (Enneagram types) in infancy to protect a specific aspect of our Essential Nature (higher, or divine, self) which felt particularly vulnerable or threatened. Depending upon the temperament of the infant and its relationship to the environment, it became so focused on protecting one of the nine specific aspects of our Essential Nature that an imbalanced, habitual focus of attention was developed."

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Both my E-type and my MBTI type were very apparent since I was a little kid.

Delphyne

MBTI Type
INFP
According to Enneagram theory you´re either born with your type or it developed in infancy. It doesn´t make any sense to suggest a development at a later time, because it wouldn´t have the same driving motivation due to the fact that you have already developed a good deal.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
Doubt it. It's not even constant.
Of course the developers of the theory would claim it is congenital or deeply ingrained -- It sounds less flimsy.

Delphyne

MBTI Type
INFP
It´s certainly up to believe, but if you don´t see the fixation and motivation as deeply ingrained you´re proposing a new theory and you´re not talking about the enneagram anymore.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I was more of semi-extroverted class clown when I was really young, I've become a little more introverted and less of a sensor as I aged I believe.

redacted

It´s certainly up to believe, but if you don´t see the fixation and motivation as deeply ingrained you´re proposing a new theory and you´re not talking about the enneagram anymore.

Deeply ingrained, yes. That doesn't mean you're born with it, though.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I agree with this.

My "4-ness" really didn't start to develop until my mid-teens whereas my ENFP-ness has been apparent since I was a toddler or so.

Yeah. Same here. I can see my ENTP-ness going right back to my earliest memories, but when I look back to before the age of about 22 I can see an Enneagram 5 at work, between 22 and 28 I was more eightish and now 7w8.

Bufo

MBTI Type
onto
Enneagram
5w4
I think, the personality type, or more reasonably the traits, can be well explained (reproducibly) in terms of the chronological sequence of interactions of an individual with the environment (not necessarily excluding the gestation period). So, I don't feel like attributing them to certain genotypes.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
though some types tend to lean towards some enneagram types versus others, i personally think that it is almost completely a nurture thing