• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Most credible source for MBTI percentages

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Is there any credible study pertaining to how much of the world's population is a certain type? The most common and less common type? That kind of thing.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
MBTI's don't fit in the least (in my view, of course). I believe people so often test as xSTJ under the Official MBTI because they want to come off a certain way.

I more trust statistics that list ESFP as the most common, and INxP as among the rarest.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
MBTI's don't fit in the least (in my view, of course). I believe people so often test as xSTJ under the Official MBTI because they want to come off a certain way.

I more trust statistics that list ESFP as the most common, and INxP as among the rarest.

I couldn't possibly expect you guys to answer me "how many people are a certain type?". I just want to know how many people test as ENFP or INTP... etc :)

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I couldn't possibly expect you guys to answer me "how many people are a certain type?". I just want to know how many people test as ENFP or INTP... etc :)
The "likely most accurate" resource I can think of would be Keirsey's website. The only distribution statistics I know for sure are present are the percentages listed in each type description.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
The only group that's tried to get a representative sample that I know of (not relying on who takes their instruments) is the actual publisher of the MBTI, CPP, Inc. - Leaders in Workforce Development but they don't have the chart on their site. I posted it to Haight not long ago in a thread re: the only other two countries where the same work has been done.

They actually tried to get reps representative of age/gender/education/ethnic background to base their "National Representative Sample" and while you can argue with the validity of the instrument I just haven't heard of anyone else going after a sample this way...

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Yeah, the CAPT stats fail in the same way MBTI stats do, if they're even separate.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I've posted it elsewhere on the board. In short, because people who take the Official MBTI are more likely to be taking the test for someone else than themselves. Such as an employer. When I B.S. my way through an interview, it's generally through my acting SJ.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
I've posted it elsewhere on the board. In short, because people who take the Official MBTI are more likely to be taking the test for someone else than themselves. Such as an employer. When I B.S. my way through an interview, it's generally through my acting SJ.

That's possibly true, although they have hundreds of thousands of records from other places, along with the records of their validation tests.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram

When they did the national representative sample, CPP solicited people specifically for that purpose--the were taking it independent of workplace.

CPP's the publisher of the MBTI. CAPT is a nonprofit that does training, publishes resources, and houses the Isabel Myers Memorial Library, the bibliography of which is online.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I still refuse to believe actual type distribution leads to higher xSTJ than ESFP. People can be horrible test-takers.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
And they're therefore accurate? U CN DO BETR, methinks.

*sigh*

You complain about systemic bias in their collection system. I tell you that they have academic sets, as well as random sets used during their validation. I figured you could translate this to having various baselines to measure skew.

K, thx, bye.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Where all of these ESFP's?
I see SJ's everywhere I go!!!

I don't know if you are in college or not but a lot of the people who try to act all "SP-ish" are simply SJs trying to fit in.

For instance.. last year, I had a roommate who is very outgoing and enjoys the partying scene.
From a superficial perspective, he may seem like an ESTP.
However, he is very organized, structured, and hardworking on the weekdays- he hates messes and often was annoyed at me for not cleaning my side of the room. Everything else says that he is actually an ESTJ, not an ESTP. If Rationals and/or Idealists were running things, you would see a lot of Guardians trying to act like them too... The college partying scene demands Se- living for the moment.

On a side note, I thought Ne would work just as well for the scene- it doesn't.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
There are more ESFPs than ISTJs, at least. It's the whole test bias thing.