• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Most credible source for MBTI percentages

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
I guess I'm confused as to how this would be done. I know of some different methods through which you could randomly select people, but how do you get all of them to take the test? If you just grab some guy off the street, and ask him to take the test, there's a good chance he won't. (Sorry if I'm missing something obvious here.)

Granted, it doesn't differ than any other academic statistics exercersize - I meant only that it followed the same principles, as compared to using the academic and workplace data sets.

The numbers are as robust as any other validation study, which is to say that it is generally pretty solid.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
*I realize this is old, but I feel like reviving it*

I'm suspicious of these "percentage of population" statistics given for types.
We all know how test results can vary for an individual depending on the test and the person's mood and honesty (ie. I often test INTP). And how random is the selection?

I often see INFP listed as anywhere from 1% to 5% of the population - that's a big range! IMO, the huge ranges basically translate to: "we don't really know".

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
*I realize this is old, but I feel like reviving it*

I'm suspicious of these "percentage of population" statistics given for types.
We all know how test results can vary for an individual depending on the test and the person's mood and honesty (ie. I often test INTP). And how random is the selection?

I often see INFP listed as anywhere from 1% to 5% of the population - that's a big range! IMO, the huge ranges basically translate to: "we don't really know".

I agree.

I also think that in every country/culture there is a different distribution of types.

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
I trust Kiersey. He has real life experience, and he administers tests. Plus, he's INTP. Since he cares about typewatching, he's going to be hard on accuracy.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
According to a 1964 American study conducted by David Keirsey and Marilyn Bates, the population is...

Extraversion 75%, Introversion 25%
Sensing 75%, iNtuition 25%
Thinking 50%, Feeling 50%
Judging 50%, Perceiving 50%

It should also be noted that for men, about 60% had a Thinking preference, while 60% of women had a Feeling preference.

Specific MB Population

SJ Guardians - 38%
SP Artisans - 36%
NF Idealists - 12%
NT Rationals - 12%

ESTJ - 13%
ESFJ - 13%
ESTP - 13%
ESFP - 13%
ISTJ - 6%
ISFJ - 6%
ISTP - 5%
ISFP - 5%
ENTJ - 5%
ENFJ - 5%
ENTP - 5%
ENFP - 5%
INTJ - 1%
INFJ - 1%
INTP - 1%
INFP - 1%

Funny how it's the same percent for several types in Keirsey's study. You'd think the numbers would be all over. Plus, it adds up to only 98%.... :huh: