User Tag List

MBTI
    ENFJ

Default OK to Reveal Team's Type Or Not?

Is there any kind of privacy issue associated with the results of MBTI in the context of a group attending a seminar? I have been to workshops where the revealing of each person's preference scores was integral to the fabric of the event (exercises where you send all the Js to one corner of the room and the Ps to another, but they don't know their results yet). But one time I had a guy freak out on me that we were going to reveal his type to the rest of the team.

How is this usually handledby others out there?

Thanks.

Ken

MBTI
    type

The CAPT qualifying class I took had a section on this. Here's the link. The class conversation was interesting, and the issue of disclosing types in workshops was brought up.

We were instructed to present the results of the sorter to each person privately in the verification session. If the individuals want to disclose their results, that is up to them. Also, we're not to share results with HR, managers, coworkers, relatives, etc. That's up to the individual.

If people don't understand what MBTI is all about--what the limits are--they may be even more uncomfortable discussing it. Some folks see type as only another way to categorize and pigeon-hole people, too.

You might want to look at Building People, Building Programs by Lawrence and Martin. It specifically addresses ethical issues surrounding MBTI.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

MBTI
    type

Hm....

Another thought. Even though this was the qualifying class, none of us were required to add our name to the type chart on the wall--only if we felt comfortable doing so.

The only two "type-alike" exercise that we all participated in, regardless of whether we were comfortable with our type/best-fit type, were the living type table and the "J:P" scale.

The absolute emphasis was on providing a safe, no-pressure environment.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

When I did an informal presentation at work a year or so ago on MBTI, I had everyone briefly discuss their tested type and their thoughts about how well it fitted (if they thought they were a different type, if they disagreed with the theory, etc)

Nobody seemed to have any problems with it. It was made clear from the start that it was all for fun and nothing would actually be done from a managerial position with the results. People had fun comparing their results (there were three testing INTP besides me in our group of 12! And two testing ENTJ who I suspected to be more INTX). It gave us a new perspective on each other.

Perhaps if you forsee a problem, either ask people privately beforehand if they would have a problem revealing their type, or make it clear during the event that anyone can abstain.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Thanks for that information guys! Awesome.

Ken