• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What use is Ti?

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
How can one be motivated to think without feeling okaying the idea? Feeling does not necessarily mean considering others. It just means value judgments. Fe doesn't have to care about others,
Yeah, but it always does.

Similar question: How can one use intuition without sensory data?

Man... so much muddled understanding... this is BW's doing.

redacted

Yeah, but it always does.

Man... so much muddled understanding... this is BW's doing.

No.

It makes sense that feeling motivates thinking. Otherwise thinking wouldn't be limited enough and wouldn't be able to finish shit.

If it doesn't matter to you to think about something, why would you think about it? You have to use feeling to check if it matters.

I guess the relationship between sensing and intuition is slightly different, as intuition doesn't necessarily have to be grounded in sensing. But N is incomprehensible without some S at play.

BW didn't tell me this stuff, this is just what makes sense to me.

You just think I misunderstand if you haven't thought of the same metaphors I'm using.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
No.

It makes sense that feeling motivates thinking. Otherwise thinking wouldn't be limited enough and wouldn't be able to finish shit.
That's right. I forgot that I'm trying to correct you because I think it's sad and makes me unhappy when I see that you've lost your way.

If it doesn't matter to you to think about something, why would you think about it? You have to use feeling to check if it matters.
It's a farce to limit inspiration and drive to Feeling.

I guess the relationship between sensing and intuition is slightly different, as intuition doesn't necessarily have to be grounded in sensing. But N is incomprehensible without some S at play.
Except that sensory data is not equivalent to... senses.

Let's have a look-see at the reciprocal of that: Do you have to intuit to sense? Definitely not.

It's concrete data morelike. As opposed to abstract. You can be looking at something an intuiting it -- not sensing.

BW didn't tell me this stuff, this is just what makes sense to me.
Well if I were you I'd blame it on him.

I blame everything on god.

Parsing exists for a reason dude.

redacted

Meh, I give up. You're amazingly good at coming up with ways to interpret my words such that they don't make sense.

It makes sense to me. It probably makes sense to some other people. I guess those are the people I'm talking to.

That's right. I forgot that I'm trying to correct you because I think it's sad and makes me unhappy when I see that you've lost your way.

No, you're trying to correct me to prove your superiority to yourself (and your audience). Still Fe, though.

It's a farce to limit inspiration and drive to Feeling.

It's not limited to Feeling. Feeling helps though. Just like being logical isn't limited to Thinking. Thinking helps though.

Intuition does a lot of the work.

Edit: Feeling is the translator of inspiration and drive from unconsciousness to consciousness.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
No, no, no. Ha!
I can condescend to anyone.
You're not special.

It just happens that it's you right now.
Feeling contains no malice anyway.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
So Ti-bearers are good at sitting there and coming up with the perfect word to use. That sounds wonderful, but doesn't make them particularly useful. Can you actually do anything?

Yeah you know. Coming up with designs to build rockets, computers, spaceships, etc....

Einstein's relativity theory, Aristotle's philosophy, theoretical mathematics are all very heavy on Ti use.

What else..hmm..how could I say this in ENFP tongue...I dont know man..i feel and i feel not its useful..i mean useless..hehehe:wubbie:

Uhhh...:)
fadfoshidsohifoihdsoihdfsfdiohfsdfds

Well...Jung's typology was Ti work as it required careful inquiry into human nature and careful organization of the insights...

What else....uhh no not really you cant do anything its only thinking after all...just do what feels right it will always work out for you. Dont think too much, it makes your head hurt.
-

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Ahem...conjugated verb goes at the end of the subordinate clause :).
Oh yeah? I coulda made it right by being all nerdy about it, but I din't wanna waste my TiME, Mr. German-Pants.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Yeah you know. Coming up with designs to build rockets, computers, spaceships, etc....
Ti doesn't actually do anything, though. If the idea is only in your head, it might give you some sort of intellectual hard-on, but it's worthless to everyone else.

Einstein's relativity theory, Aristotle's philosophy, theoretical mathematics are all very heavy on Ti use.
I'd ask you to prove it (because I know you can't), but you'd just pollute this thread with pages of pedantic BS.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I'd ask you to prove it (because I know you can't), but you'd just pollute this thread with pages of pedantic BS.
I imagine BlueWing could do a solid job proving it on his own terms, but he can't prove that Ti is a valid concept to begin with.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Well according to MBTI theory, Ti is a decision making function, so it does do things.

What I still cant grasp, is why one should question the usefulness. It is like I ask "what use is the human population on planet earth ?"

That sort of questions fall in my opinion more into the conundrums of philosophy, because a rational answer would be "Ti just is or the humans just are" (when you take the theory as being right and the human perception of reality as being right aswell :))

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
What I still cant grasp, is why one can question the usefulness of an element of a theory. It is like I ask "what use is the human population on planet earth ?"
Simply: Because the theory is claimed to be an accurate representation of mental processes. Questioning the accuracy of this claim is healthy.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Simply: Because the theory is claimed to be an accurate representation of mental processes. Questioning the accuracy of this claim is healthy.

Ok, then maybe I got the english wrong.

I was thinking "what use is Ti" as concerned to matters in the real world.

But the question is more basic and begins at the start with asking "why is there a need for Ti at all, in the theory ?"

Well that I need to think about :)

miked277

MBTI Type
INTP
Ti doesn't actually do anything, though. If the idea is only in your head, it might give you some sort of intellectual hard-on, but it's worthless to everyone else.

this quote, and this whole thread, sounds to me like you're saying essentially that:

a) Ti is different from Te
b) Te is useful

thus

c) Ti is not useful

i must admit, it's hard to argue with such soundly formed logic :D

but going back to what bluewing was saying in his post you quoted, you're assuming that all the fruits of the Ti tree do not translate into a tangible reality. or that if they do translate into reality in the form of a blueprint, schematic, system design, recipe, formula or otherwise it still has no use because none of the above in and of themselves are useful... ie. one cannot live in a blueprint, one cannot eat a recipe, one cannot ride a schematic, etc. simply because the mind is the birthplace and formative location of the above does not mean that they permanently relegated there and simply because the above are not ends unto themselves does not mean they are useless.

also, your definition of what is useful and what is worthless is entirely subjective. for example, tampons are completely useless to me. does that mean i need to bring up the need for them to exist?

side note:
is this thread even serious btw? maybe i missed the light humor in it... yeah.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Ti doesn't actually do anything, though.
So why did you make this thread anyway?

If the idea is only in your head, it might give you some sort of intellectual hard-on, but it's worthless to everyone else.
Clearly you don't understand the dynamic of introversion and extroversion either.

Shame...

It's actually pretty simple. I'd say it again, but no one read it the last 300 times I posted it, and I'm ready to give up.

Clever goad, but you're more transparent than BW's attempts to prove his he's a P.

This whole thread is BS. Did you even read any of my, or dissonance's posts?
What about entropie?

Martoon

perdu fleur par bologne
MBTI Type
INTP
but it's worthless to everyone else.
That's a bad thing, right? I can never remember.

That was wonderful, I had a tear in the eye, after I had read the definiton
*sniff*

Yeah, me too, especially after this part:
with the least amount of effort

2-3 days? Walk the beach? What the hell kind of Ti user are we talking about?
Apparently, my kind. I quite often mull over something for a few days (often subconsciously, to a large degree) before the big insights hit me. If only there was a beach around here.

I also do the "quick insight" kinda thing, but there are a lot of things that plague my mind for a longer period.

I divorced from Fe years ago, but it still stalks me. Restraining order and everything...
QFLOL

As far as Ti not actually doing anything, isn't the label of the T vs. F dichotomy thinking motivated vs. feeling motivated? Regardless of whether it yields Ti or Te. Ultimately, I think Ti does drive one to do things. Admittedly, not very often in my case, but it's been known to happen.