First 45678 Last

Thread: What use is Ti?

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    So Ti-bearers are good at sitting there and coming up with the perfect word to use. That sounds wonderful, but doesn't make them particularly useful. Can you actually do anything?
    Yeah you know. Coming up with designs to build rockets, computers, spaceships, etc....

Einstein's relativity theory, Aristotle's philosophy, theoretical mathematics are all very heavy on Ti use.

What else..hmm..how could I say this in ENFP tongue...I dont know man..i feel and i feel not its useful..i mean useless..hehehe

Uhhh...
    fadfoshidsohifoihdsoihdfsfdiohfsdfds

Well...Jung's typology was Ti work as it required careful inquiry into human nature and careful organization of the insights...

What else....uhh no not really you cant do anything its only thinking after all...just do what feels right it will always work out for you. Dont think too much, it makes your head hurt.
    -
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Ahem...conjugated verb goes at the end of the subordinate clause .
    Oh yeah? I coulda made it right by being all nerdy about it, but I din't wanna waste my TiME, Mr. German-Pants.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    Yeah you know. Coming up with designs to build rockets, computers, spaceships, etc....
    Ti doesn't actually do anything, though. If the idea is only in your head, it might give you some sort of intellectual hard-on, but it's worthless to everyone else.

Einstein's relativity theory, Aristotle's philosophy, theoretical mathematics are all very heavy on Ti use.
    I'd ask you to prove it (because I know you can't), but you'd just pollute this thread with pages of pedantic BS.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I'd ask you to prove it (because I know you can't), but you'd just pollute this thread with pages of pedantic BS.
    I imagine BlueWing could do a solid job proving it on his own terms, but he can't prove that Ti is a valid concept to begin with.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Well according to MBTI theory, Ti is a decision making function, so it does do things.

What I still cant grasp, is why one should question the usefulness. It is like I ask "what use is the human population on planet earth ?"

That sort of questions fall in my opinion more into the conundrums of philosophy, because a rational answer would be "Ti just is or the humans just are" (when you take the theory as being right and the human perception of reality as being right aswell )
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    What I still cant grasp, is why one can question the usefulness of an element of a theory. It is like I ask "what use is the human population on planet earth ?"
    Simply: Because the theory is claimed to be an accurate representation of mental processes. Questioning the accuracy of this claim is healthy.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Simply: Because the theory is claimed to be an accurate representation of mental processes. Questioning the accuracy of this claim is healthy.
    Ok, then maybe I got the english wrong.

I was thinking "what use is Ti" as concerned to matters in the real world.

But the question is more basic and begins at the start with asking "why is there a need for Ti at all, in the theory ?"

Well that I need to think about
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INTP

Ti doesn't actually do anything, though. If the idea is only in your head, it might give you some sort of intellectual hard-on, but it's worthless to everyone else.
    this quote, and this whole thread, sounds to me like you're saying essentially that:

a) Ti is different from Te
    b) Te is useful

thus

c) Ti is not useful

i must admit, it's hard to argue with such soundly formed logic

but going back to what bluewing was saying in his post you quoted, you're assuming that all the fruits of the Ti tree do not translate into a tangible reality. or that if they do translate into reality in the form of a blueprint, schematic, system design, recipe, formula or otherwise it still has no use because none of the above in and of themselves are useful... ie. one cannot live in a blueprint, one cannot eat a recipe, one cannot ride a schematic, etc. simply because the mind is the birthplace and formative location of the above does not mean that they permanently relegated there and simply because the above are not ends unto themselves does not mean they are useless.

also, your definition of what is useful and what is worthless is entirely subjective. for example, tampons are completely useless to me. does that mean i need to bring up the need for them to exist?

side note:
    is this thread even serious btw? maybe i missed the light humor in it... yeah.
    I'm feeling rough, I'm feeling raw, I'm in the prime of my life.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Ti doesn't actually do anything, though.
    So why did you make this thread anyway?

If the idea is only in your head, it might give you some sort of intellectual hard-on, but it's worthless to everyone else.
    Clearly you don't understand the dynamic of introversion and extroversion either.

Shame...

It's actually pretty simple. I'd say it again, but no one read it the last 300 times I posted it, and I'm ready to give up.

Clever goad, but you're more transparent than BW's attempts to prove his he's a P.

This whole thread is BS. Did you even read any of my, or dissonance's posts?
    What about entropie?

perdu fleur par bologne Martoon's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

but it's worthless to everyone else.
    That's a bad thing, right? I can never remember.

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    That was wonderful, I had a tear in the eye, after I had read the definiton
    *sniff*

Yeah, me too, especially after this part:
    with the least amount of effort

2-3 days? Walk the beach? What the hell kind of Ti user are we talking about?
    Apparently, my kind. I quite often mull over something for a few days (often subconsciously, to a large degree) before the big insights hit me. If only there was a beach around here.

I also do the "quick insight" kinda thing, but there are a lot of things that plague my mind for a longer period.

I divorced from Fe years ago, but it still stalks me. Restraining order and everything...
    QFLOL

As far as Ti not actually doing anything, isn't the label of the T vs. F dichotomy thinking motivated vs. feeling motivated? Regardless of whether it yields Ti or Te. Ultimately, I think Ti does drive one to do things. Admittedly, not very often in my case, but it's been known to happen.
    I'm not a procrastinator. I'm a long-term planner.