User Tag List

123 Last

Default What the therapists said...

I came across what these counselors and psychotherapists said about some of their patients as categorized by type. Keep in mind, these are the individuals that needed or wanted to seek counseling in the first place.

INFJ: often admit to the therapist their fear they are or could easily become "crazy". There fear is a function of their uncanny ability to "read" the underlying emotions of the individuals and groups of people with whom they interact long before anyone else is aware that such emotions exist.

ISTJ: particularly men, tend to agree with a therapist's suggestion that they express love for their children by providing financial security and ensuring that the children behave in an appropriate and responsible manner. These clients can become quite emotional at the therapists' recognition that an ISTJ's family may misinterpret such an expression of love as a need to control or dominate the child

ENTP: may acknowledge with some discomfort the underlying fear that they lack substance and seriousness and that their contributions are not really valued. They may therefore take particular pride in accomplishments that call on less-preferred type characteristics, those that require slow, methodical, and detailed work over an extended period, rather than the more facile, innovative projects that come most easily to them

INTP: especially women, often report an early awareness of being profoundly different from other children, leading to hypersensitivity to signs of rejection and to painful memories of being ridiculed and scapegoated as "weird".

ESTJ and ENTJ: may view their need for counseling as a "defeat," as personal failure to solve their own life problems. They may project their own sense of incompetence onto the therapist, which can emerge as challenging, confrontational approach to the counseling/therapy enterprise.

MBTI
    type

Yeah, I like everything the MBTI manual says about INxPs. Least likely to be content with work, most likely to feel out of place, most likely to be leaving their jobs.... INTP's inferior function grip experiences make us have inappropriately emotional outbursts....

"It's not easy being green....."
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Hah! I've begged at least a half dozen people to get me committed if I go nuts when I get older. I guess maybe I'd be worried about it even if my mom wasn't nuts.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by meanlittlechimp View Post
    INTP: especially women, often report an early awareness of being profoundly different from other children, leading to hypersensitivity to signs of rejection and to painful memories of being ridiculed and scapegoated as "weird".
    Ugghg, that sounds FAR too familiar.

The other type descriptions sounded theoretically plausible. Are those the only ones you found?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Ugghg, that sounds FAR too familiar.
    Yes, yes it does.

I can see the INFJ one as well, quite easily.
    We are not poets
    We have no right to make amendments

MBTI
    INTJ

But did they say anything about INTJs?

MBTI
    type

I was just looking. There's some stuff relating to stress. Nothing neatly encapsulated and I don't feel like typing stuff tonight.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by meanlittlechimp View Post
    I thought that Introverted Intuitive (INxJ) types would be more likely to feel this.

At an early age, people also called me crazy and weird (sometimes including teachers) and eventually started taking advantage of me.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Splittet View Post
    But did they say anything about INTJs?
    INTJ's refuse to go to therapy, because they're too busy trying to Take! Over! The! World!

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I thought that Introverted Intuitive (INxJ) types would be more likely to feel this. At an early age, people also called me crazy and weird (sometimes including teachers)...
    But did this BOTHER you? Your posts really make it sound as if you're not bothered by anything at all. And most INTJ's seem to just tell the world to flip off if they don't like it.

INxPs would be bothered, though.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    INTJ's refuse to go to therapy, because they're too busy trying to Take! Over! The! World!.
    No. Because they know everything already.

Want my off-the-cuff, unscientific observations of INTJ friends of mine?