• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which letter swap results in the most differing and similar personalities?

Jayce

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7sx
I've lately delved into the INFJ INFP dilemma so I thought it would be fun to ponder which letter switch results in the most differing personalities. And which letter switch seems to have the least impact. I'm speaking in generalizations of the types, not some far-end manifestations vs each other.

Naturally one (me) sets off with the functions and decides on the most different ones you can switch with one letter. I've come to the conclusion that the effect of switching a letter in order of effectiveness (from least effective to most effective) is as follows: E/I < F/T < J/P = N/S with the N/S and J/P being the most noticeable. The E/I is a matter of prominence, hence it has the least effect most of the time. F/T and N/S are matters of different functions, N/S being more apparent. J/P is a matter of opposite functions all around, so it should have the most impact, but this isn't necessarily true in all cases.

Disclaimer: Results may vary depending on type. Switching F for T on ENXP or INXJ is really similar also because its playing with the auxiliary.

Since Ni and Si are the most different interchangeable functions, we will see that the most different types are either ISFJ and INFJ or ISTJ and INTJ. From these pairings, to me, comparing the ISTJ vs INTJ is like comparing the sides of the moon. There are similarities on some level but the differences trump anything I've come into contact with. I could be biased because of personal chemistry though.

Even though the J/P switch seems like the most effective because of opposite functions, the INFP and INFJ may seem really similar by description and real people. The trophy of most similar J/P switch definitely goes to this pairing. It is to be noted that after extensive research I'm not absolutely certain (if there even is such certainty) which is which or have I ever even met a real INFJ.

Somehow it seems as if with N-types the J/P switch is less apparent than in the S-types. This is due to the perceived similarities of Ni and Ne. Take ENFP & ENFJ, INTJ & INTP, ENTP & ENTJ vs ISTJ & ISTP, ESTJ & ESTP, ISFJ & ISFP, ESFJ & ESFP.

The most similar in any switch would be the ESTJ ISTJ duo.

I didn't write down much explanations because I'm interested in how you guys see the types in relation to one another. Any thoughts? :)

Verona

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I think when it comes to switching J/P it seems to have more of an effect on the extroverted types as opposed to the introverted types. I think the differences between INTJ and INTP are more subtle than the differences between ENTJ and ENTP for example.

I also think the introverted functions aren't as easy to spot as the extroverted ones so although I think Ni and Si are quite different I think it is not as easy to spot when someone is using one over the other since it is all an internal process. I think the differences between a Te-dom and Fe-dom would possibly be more noticeable.

These are just random thoughts off the top of my head so I might have more to contribute later. Interesting discussion.

reckful

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Here's some recycled reckful (from Which two types that are only one letter apart are the most different?):

Both Myers and Keirsey were of the view that S vs. N made the biggest difference, and I agree.

I think Jung might have agreed, too, since, although he wrote as if E vs. I was the greatest divide, his "extraversion" and "introversion" were largely an ES and IN mashup. ...

As for which dichotomy-flip makes the least difference, I have trouble choosing between T/F and J/P — and I think both those flips tend to make a pretty big difference if you're talking about people with relatively strong preferences.

Over at INTJforum, "Am I INTJ or INTP?" is the most common type-me dilemma by a pretty wide margin, and you might argue from that that INTJs are more like INTPs than like any of the other types — and therefore that J/P is the dichotomy-flip that makes the least difference. But it could also mean (among other things) that it's more common to be middlish on J/P than most or all of the other dichotomies, rather than that a strong J is any less different from a strong P than a strong T is from a strong F.

I'm going to pick T/F as the least-consequential flip, but reserve the right to change my mind tomorrow.​

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I would have thought that the J/P swap would have caused the most difference seeing as it would completely rebase the order of cognitive functions.

For me, my Ni is intermittent at best, and would have to be much more developed to be an INTJ, plus I'd be relying on shadow functions anyway. I don't have INTJ moments, I do have ENTP, ISTP and INFP moments from time to time though.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I would say that this depends on the actual people you are comparing. (there are tons of differences within each type)
Therefore these kinds of generalizations are esentially pointless in the end since MBTI and similar systems are just simplifications of reality.

Abendrot

one way trip
MBTI Type
IntJ
Enneagram
85X
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'd say the types that are most difficult to tell apart would be the types that share dominant functions and thereby inferior functions, as these functions are typically the most conspicuous In the functional stack. I think ISTP/INTP and INTJ/INFJ are the exceptions - these types are pretty easy to tell apart.

Jayce

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7sx

I was thinking the same. I think the differences are in the fact that the Ni Te vs Ti Ne and Ni Fe vs Fi Ne can appear very similar even to the person himself whereas Ne Ti and Te Ni provide very different outcomes. The latter seems to be due to the observant and introspective nature of both Ne and Ti, whereas the Ni usually works as fuel for the Te externally. The ENTP is way more laid back and prospecting than his J cousin.

I think you can differentiate ISTJ and INTJ from one sentence. Even though they're introverted functions they manifest very differently outwardly, given that the suspect is giving anything about himself.

I agree, Te-dom and Fe-dom are different animals.

This is exactly why I stated to note the general type and not extreme manifestations of individuals. We are on a forum that focuses on this simplification of reality, based on generalizations, hence we are discussing something that might be irrelevant to most people but interesting to think about for some. This convo would ultimately lead to more precise measure of type, potentially. Differentiating between close calls would be more easy depending on which switch is the issue. Most tests test for dichotomies and therefore this is relevant. I think its also relevant on a functional basis. I'm specifically talking about the combinations with Ni Te/Fe & Fi/Ti Ne, which may seem very similar.

The ISTP I agree, but not wholly on INXJ, maybe its a matter of gender too. Dom-sharing might account for extraverts but it doesn't take into account the INFJ INFP INTP INTJ dilemma, which led to this discussion in the first place. :)
_______
What we've come to is that contrary to my initial impression judging solely by functions, the E/I switch can be one of the most perceptible outwardly. I think this is mostly true for people you don't know but come to contact with, but when with someone you know, the difference can be the most negligible since the personality "comes out of hiding". Also contrary to initial impressions, the J/P switch can be the least differing in certain instances.

The least effective J/P switches are undoubtedly INFJ & INFP and INTJ & INTP. The most impactful J/P switches would be one of the SJ SP switches.

It is safe to say that the most significant and insignificant switches will depend on type. For INFJ and INFP it is the P switch that makes the least impact and the N switch that makes the most. For ENTP it is the T/F axis and N, respectively.

Abendrot

one way trip
MBTI Type
IntJ
Enneagram
85X
Instinctual Variant
sx
What we've come to is that contrary to my initial impression judging solely by functions, the E/I switch can be one of the most perceptible outwardly. I think this is mostly true for people you don't know but come to contact with, but when with someone you know, the difference can be the most negligible since the personality "comes out of hiding". Also contrary to initial impressions, the J/P switch can be the least differing in certain instances.

The least effective J/P switches are undoubtedly INFJ & INFP and INTJ & INTP. The most impactful J/P switches would be one of the SJ SP switches.

It is safe to say that the most significant and insignificant switches will depend on type. For INFJ and INFP it is the P switch that makes the least impact and the N switch that makes the most. For ENTP it is the T/F axis and N, respectively.

I agree 100%.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I/E is imo the least important dichotomy. SFJ is basically just as accurate as ESFJ or ISFJ.

The P/J makes the biggest difference. It shouldn't even be treated as a dichotomy tbh because it changes all of the functions.

Jayce

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7sx
I/E is imo the least important dichotomy. SFJ is basically just as accurate as ESFJ or ISFJ.

The P/J makes the biggest difference. It shouldn't even be treated as a dichotomy tbh because it changes all of the functions.

The E/I dochotomy can make a huge difference depending on type. And P/J can make the least difference. The functions are not set in stone in certain instances. Did you read the thread? :D

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The E/I dochotomy can make a huge difference depending on type. And P/J can make the least difference. The functions are not set in stone in certain instances. Did you read the thread? :D

Yes, I was just giving my opinion. I also think Si and Ni share a lot of similarities that are often overlooked, both being Pi functions.